Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
127,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't like the nice clean glass brake. Feels cool, but not so accurate. I'll take the creep and an easier pull through.

Or maybe mines an outlier. I compared it side by side with the TSO, and it was the same. But the 2 frame felt a touch better in my hand. The TSO was only $200 more.
It’s cool. Not saying the TS2 isn’t a nice gun and it’s certainly a great value. The trigger isn’t anything to write home over in my opinion, but I’m a trigger snob for sure.

Now the Phoenix Redback and Atlas Hyperion have some incredible triggers. I like the Redback so much that I’ve got a SAO model in route. That would be even better.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Blahh... I picked up the Shadow 2 DAO Blue for under $1200 NIB in the middle of the gun shortage pandemic. Was lucky to even find one in stock online.

I didn't see enough of a difference or feel like the upgrades were worth an extra $600 for the Shadow 2 OJ IMHO. The barrel pushing is really the only feature on the OJ I would have liked, but it's not worth it. I don't really care about the slide to frame fiting, and I can get a trigger job dons at anytime in the future for less. Shooting wise, the overwhelming majority aren't going to notice a difference. With that said, I do want a TSO.

I used the $600 savings, added $600 more, and picked up a Beretta 92x Performance.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Nice score bac!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
One of these came into my local shop in like new condition and after some inner debate; I decided to pick it up. They seem hard to come by these days, although CZ Custom supposedly still offers them. The CZ SP01 was CZ’s main production competition pistol before the Shadow 2 debuted.

CZ Custom started offering the Orange model as an enhanced version of the SP01 some years back before the Shadow 2 was available. They took inventory of the SP01 from CZ and performed some very good modifications before offering it to the public. These modifications include a polished barrel, improved trigger mechanism, new hammer, better sights, different springs, improved sights, etc. It’s a much better pistol than the standard SP01 and, in my opinion, a great value for the money. :cool:

These are not to be confused with the TSO or Shadow 2 Orange. While similar in concept over the standard guns, the others were produced completely by CZ. The SP01 Orange was modified by CZ Custom, which despite popular opinion, is not part of CZ or owned by CZ. I’m sure this pistol gave CZ some ideas and, therefore, future Orange pistols came directly from CZ, but this one isn’t CZ’s creation. The list of modifications can be read in the link below. :)

CZ SP01 Shadow Orange

This example was built in 2019 and was in like new shape with everything from the factory. I don’t think many rounds have been fired through it. I got it for $1600, which I felt was fair. The gun is tightly built and the trigger is absolutely phenomenal, especially the DA pull, which is considerably better than the DA pull on my Shadow 2 Orange. Its very light and smooth. Build quality is impressive, as it is with other CZ Custom pistols. I haven’t shot it yet, but I’m expecting accuracy to be fantastic. The test target is one ragged hole. I’ve always loved the orange aluminum grips and they give a nice contrast to the black steel frame and slide. While the pistol is still hefty at 42oz empty, it’s several ounces lighter than the Shadow 2. That’s either a good or bad thing, depending on your tastes. I love heavy pistols personally and, while its lighter than the Shadow 2, 42oz is certainly no lightweight. This is actually my third CZ Custom pistol. I also have an A01-LD and I had a Bull Shadow in the past.

Who here has an SP01, Orange or otherwise? :unsure:

As always, enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks! :D

Here it is with my Shadow 2 Orange. You can see the differences in the frames, including the trigger guard.

Have you shot them side by side? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hate these don't have firing pin blocks considering they are meant for hard/fast use.

I wouldn't feel safe with an idiot next to me with one.

·
Registered
127,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Blahh... I picked up the Shadow 2 DAO Blue for under $1200 NIB in the middle of the gun shortage pandemic. Was lucky to even find one in stock online.

I didn't see enough of a difference or feel like the upgrades were worth an extra $600 for the Shadow 2 OJ IMHO. The barrel pushing is really the only feature on the OJ I would have liked, but it's not worth it. I don't really care about the slide to frame fiting, and I can get a trigger job dons at anytime in the future for less. Shooting wise, the overwhelming majority aren't going to notice a difference. With that said, I do want a TSO.

I used the $600 savings, added $600 more, and picked up a Beretta 92x Performance.
To each their own. I feel the barrel bushing and better trigger are worth it, not to mention nicer fit and finish all around.

This thread isn’t about the Shadow 2 Orange though. I’ve had that a long while.

…and I already have a 92X Performance

·
I feel pretty.
4,483 Posts
Hate these don't have firing pin blocks considering they are meant for hard/fast use.

I wouldn't feel safe with an idiot next to me with one.
Doesn't need one. Same reason the 1911 doesn't need one.

There are morons in competition that have started using extended length firing pins to make up for their pathetic lack of reloading skills, to hit the primer harder. Those CZ's and CZ clones are extremely not drop safe, and are becoming a problem. I think someone was shot (killed) a short while ago by a dropped CZ that was tampered with.

Stock CZ's, shooting quality ammo, have no worries.

·
Registered
649 Posts
To each their own. I feel the barrel bushing and better trigger are worth it, not to mention nicer fit and finish all around.

This thread isn’t about the Shadow 2 Orange though. I’ve had that a long while.

…and I already have a 92X Performance
I know but you asked what other owned, so I figured the thread was about all CZ competition pistols. Yea, I wouldn't mind the extra refinements and they are nice, but watching youtube videos of side by side shooting, there isn't much of a difference. If both were in front of me, no doubt I'd pick up the OJ.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hopefully it will make a cameo appearance at the next match :)

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Great looking pistol Brian; congratulations. They are certainly popular on the competition circuit in my area....both Steel Challenge and IDPA.

One thing that is great is they are "approved" for carrying on half-cock. This allows you to use them in IDPA's Standard Service Pistol division and you get a shorter, incredibly smooth DA trigger pull.

Reactions: MrS&W

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maybe the Brian Enos forum is wrong that one of these dropped and killed a range officer. My mistake for listening to them :)
Well I hate the break the news to you, but very few serious competition pistols have them.

Most "production" guns don't have firing pin blocks? Cause the SP-01 and Shadow are production guns...

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Maybe the Brian Enos forum is wrong that one of these dropped and killed a range officer. My mistake for listening to them :)

Most "production" guns don't have firing pin blocks? Cause the SP-01 and Shadow are production guns...
“Competition”, not “production”. All guns are products, even the British bespoke ones.

·
Registered
127,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

I said most competition pistols don’t have FPS. Said nothing of production vs custom.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts