Picked up a cool Arex Rex Alpha 9mm :):)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Oct 23, 2020.

1. bac1023

bac1023

I’ve been buying quite a few competition oriented pistols of late and this one continues that trend. The Rex Alpha is a DA/SA competition pistol built by the company, Arex or Arex Defense, who have just recently started building handguns.

Arex is located in Slovenia and from what I’ve seen, have quite an impressive factory where they build high quality handguns. At the moment, they have three models, all in 9mm only. The Rex Zero 1 is their flagship duty pistol. It’s heavily based on Sig Sauer and comes in several variations, to include Tactical and Compact versions. It uses an aluminum frame. The Rex Delta is the company’s brand new polymer striker fired pistol, which looks promising in a flooded market.

The only model that fits into my theme and held interest for me is the Rex Alpha. Unlike the Zero 1, the Alpha uses a steel frame. The slide is lightened to reduce recoil. The barrel is 5”, which is considerably longer than the other two models and it’s geared towards competition. The Alpha weighs in at a hefty 41.8oz. Being that I love heavy guns, I welcome the weight of it. The SA trigger is outstanding. I actually like it better than the SA pull on my CZ Shadow 2 Orange. The DA pull isn't as smooth or as light as the CZ's, but I'll never shoot it in DA anyway, particularly since it has no decocker. The Alpha ships with three 17-round magazines and features an ambi mag release and an ambi thumb safety. The plastic grips offer good traction and the front strap and trigger guard are nicely serrated. Overall fit and finish and build quality of this pistol appears very good, albeit not as nice as the Walther Q5 SF. However, the Rex is also $600 less expensive.

From a styling standpoint, I think its cool, not beautiful, but cool. All the cuts and angles give it a very futuristic appearance. Despite all its angles and seemingly sharp edges, I found nothing really sharp on the gun, other than perhaps the rail. Its just a well thought out and nicely designed pistol. The grips are listed on the website to also come in red, blue, or white, but I've only ever seen black here in the states. Now the bore axis is higher than I would like, but the weight of the gun in the right places seems to negate some of the muzzle rise. Its a dream to shoot, honestly. :)

Speaking of shooting, I had both this and my new Walther Q5 SF Pro to the range together earlier this week. I must say that even though the Walther is clearly a higher quality pistol, the Rex Alpha is the better shooter. I'm sure the Walther is every bit as accurate and maybe even more so from a ransom rest or even sand bags. However, the Rex's trigger clearly makes it better for quick off hand shooting. While I somehow still don't own a trigger gauge, I'd estimate that the Alpha's SA trigger to be no more than 3 to 3.5 lbs and its very crisp with little to no creep whatsoever. I was extremely impressed by how this pistol performed. I'd have to say its maybe the best performing sub $1000 pistol on the market and it outshoots many costing considerably more. :cool:

So I definitely recommend the Rex Alpha to anyone looking to compete on a budget or just looking for a outstanding range pistol. The Alpha sells in the $850-$900 price range, which is a flat out bargain for this kind of performance.

So who here owns an Alpha or any of the Arex handguns? What do you think?

As always, enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks! :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. taurn88

taurn88

That is a very impressive gun for the money, lots of nice features. The magwell is also beveled in, that and the front strap checkering is a nice touch for the price.

3. goon

goon

I've never shot them, but I would be interested to see how it felt.

4. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Interesting and good write up..congrats!

I like how most guns seem to be using a Dawson Precision type of fiber optic front sight...

5. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks Russ

The front sight is awesome on this.

pag23 likes this.
  6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

Lotta gun for the money!

Congrats!

pag23 likes this.
  7. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I really like Dawson Fiber Optic front sights. I have them on my Ruger 22/45 and Staccato C2 and they make the world of difference...

I am going try the Fiber Optic WML combo soon...

8. bac1023

bac1023

No doubt about that, Josh :cool:

9. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

At first glace it looked like a high end ruger, hope you like it

10. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Bac is to guns what Top Gear UK (not current cast) is to cars. They both show me cool, expensive items I’ve never heard of, but immediately decide I want.

grecco and pag23 like this.
  11. Couch000

Couch000

Great looking gun and nice photos. Congrats!

12. bac1023

bac1023

Well there’s no such thing as a high end Ruger ;)

45caldan and grecco like this.
  13. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Machining, detailed cuts look impressively sharp to me. If I remember correctly, our First Lady is from the same country, perhaps this sits on her nightstand

14. bac1023

bac1023

Yes, she’s from Slovenia

15. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

My story with the Alpha. I don’t know why I do but I am attracted to this kind of less known gun and I too saw the videos on their impressive factory.

When I bought it I was impressed by the quality of the build, and it seemed it would have been an excellent option for some competition. The lack of the decocker didn’t bother me, Shadow anyone?

As a shooter, she was impressive. Very soft, accurate to a fault. I shredded the A zone of the head of a USPSA target, the body seemed easy.

I don’t own her anymore are though. When I went to switch the mag release I just couldn’t get rid of the loctite, got worried and brought it to a good gunsmith. He told me he couldn’t either, he was afraid of stripping the screws. I called the importer who said that yes they were often a bit too generous with the loctite and to send it back at my expense.

The importer did not seem neither particularly competent nor at all helpful, and that soured me. I don’t shoot the guns I like a little but I tend to focus on one and put thousands of rounds through it, so for me support is essential.

So my relationship with this beautiful gun ended soon. I would recommend it to people who don’t put a lot of lead down range with the same gun, and may be to some competitors who don’t mind buying two and keep one in reserve in case their main one needs to go back to the mothership for some repairs.

The Alpha disappointed me that way, and it sort of drove me towards taking a long break from seeking the problem solver and solve my problems with the guns I have, but that is my personal journey and not germane to the discussion.

grecco likes this.
  16. bac1023

bac1023

Good info, thank you :)

17. jr24

jr24

Cool, always been intregued by the Alphas.

18. bac1023

bac1023

Well they are very affordable. Give one a try...

19. 86brick

86brick

Seen a video of the factory, seems like a lot of good quality and testing goes into these pistols. I wouldn't mind owning one some day. Thanks for the report.

20. bac1023

bac1023

Yes I was impressed by that video also