Picked up a cheap new rifle today...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by KiloBravo, Apr 1, 2010.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I decided I wanted to purchase an inexpensive, cheaper to shoot rifle that I could stockpile a lot of crappy surplus ammo for. I narrowed it down between an SKS and a Mosin Nagant.

Well, I went to the gun shop today to browse, and ended up finding a Mosin chambered in 7.62 X 54R for $129 OTD and it came with a TON of accessories. Two ammo pouches, sling, oiler, bayonette, and some little pouch w/ some tools in it. My gun guy only had two boxes of ammo left though. :(

I went to the range with the gun still covered in heavy left over oil to try it out. It shot and felt a LOT like the old Springfield 30-06 I used during my first year of deer season. I only shot one of the two boxes I had for it. Since I was not prepared to go to the range right afterwards, I had to buy a cheap set of foam ear plugs and a few paper targets.

I have done a lot of reading about these rifles, and decided for the price, it would be worth. I might even go back later to pick up another one if I like this one as much as I think I will.

Anybody else have one they really enjoy shooting? :dunno:

2. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Thinking of buying one as well but I have no real experience...

3. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

Congrats on the rifle. I bought one a while back and 2 cases of ammo but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

4. KiloBravo

Mine was a TON of fun to shoot. A fair amount of "recoil" and punched nice big holes in the paper. :supergrin:

5. KiloBravo

For as cheap as the gun and ammo is, I would recommend one to anybody. :wavey:

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I've got a .30-06 carbine I like, that's a little better gun for 4x the money. I wanted what I got, but the Mosin is a lot better value per dollar.

7. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Good friend of mine has one and loves it. With bayonet they can aproach 12 feet in length. Not really.... I'm thinking about getting one as a long range cheap gun to shoot. I can't afford to feed my Garand much and my Saiga is not too great past 200 yds. They're dirt cheap to buy, to shoot, and pretty awesome from what my friend tells me about his. We call it 'The Cannon.'

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  8. huntall50

huntall50

Seen a lot of them never shot one but considering I already have an SKS and FAL I would rather spend the money on ammo.

9. *G31-GUTZ*

*G31-GUTZ* ::: KABOOOM:::

I got a 1938 carbine model to help me with my problem with recoil, using heavy ball it kicks pretty hard, it is cheap to shoot. The more i shoot it, the more confident i feel when i shoot my deer rifle, it has helped me with my flinching problem,my deer rifle is too expensive for that purpose. I call my mosin, the noisy maggot !!! It is very loud!!!

10. pennlineman

pennlineman

Yep, they're cool guns. If you can find a M-44 carbine at a good price give it a try. Same caliber but shorter barrel = impressive muzzle flash.

Congrats & enjoy!

11. Sierra9

Sierra9

I enjoy shooting and reloading for mine. Go to the following place for a ton of info on these rifles, accessories, and ammo. Ammo is cheap. Last time I bought any I got 440 rounds of Russian surplus for $84. It can become a big hobby.

http://7.62x54r.net/

12. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

GREAT guns for the price. I picked up an M44 and a 91/30 plus some spam cans a couple years when they were even less expensive. Glad I did.

13. KiloBravo

This is so cool. I had no idea so many on here liked and shot the rifle before. Just from the 20 rounds I put through mine, it was a lot of fun. I cannot wait to stock on up at least a case of ammo.

14. KiloBravo

Thanks so much for the link! :wavey:

15. eddief4

eddief4

awesome congrats!

i have a M44 and a M91/30, they are nothing but fun at the range. and there's some history behind it too:supergrin::wavey:

16. KiloBravo

The history behind the gun is one of the things that drew me to it. That, and the price was right too. :supergrin:

I decided I needed some more historic, wooden framed, and fun to shoot guns to compliment my black pistols and black rifle. LOL

17. glocknick

glocknick

i got myself a 91/30 and i love it. just watch out these things multiply. my friend just went from owning 1 m44 to owning 11. most of his are finns. i would like to find a nice m39 to add to my collection.

18. KiloBravo

The guy at the shop told me that same thing. :whistling:

19. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Make sure you clean the bore real well - some of that old corrosive ammo will do a number on the barrel really quick.

20. Berto

Berto woo woo

Congrats on the Mosin, they are awesome rifles. My friend has the m44 carbine and it gets attention at the range.
    One thing, clean the barrel at least before shooting it, they coat surplus guns like that in a thick grease called cosmoline, including the bore. Running rounds through it without at least cleaning the bore and chamber can create some serious pressure issues.
    Next time, anyways.:supergrin: