Picked it up, my Zev Tech Gen 3 G19 Defender...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bunk22, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bunk22

bunk22

...I got notice I leave on Monday so I decided to go ahead and get it, a few days to shoot it. It's not a long trip but what the hell :) I've had issues with my Gen 3 G19's, my last two, including my Larry Vickers. Fingers crossed, especially for the ridiculous price I just paid for a Glock.

[​IMG]

Looks like #3 of the Defenders.

[​IMG]

GlockSupport, JAS104, Ronbo73 and 2 others like this.
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Congrats.

I don't understand why anyone needs such massive amounts of front cocking serrations while not doing anything about the lousy stock Glock rear serrations. The serrations are my pet peeve with Glocks I guess. There's a reason Glock experimented with the fish gills serrations. M&Ps got serrations right.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

4. bunk22

bunk22

It's probably more about the "cool" factor look, maybe some weight saving or even used to scrape against someone's skull. I think this type of look is obviously not for everyone, my experience with my first Zev Tech has been great and I wanted one in a G19, so when my LGS got it in, I picked it up.

The one thing I don't like, the finger grooves, I wish the grooves were stippled off. I like the no finger grooves, like on my Zev Tech Tier 1.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    GlockSupport likes this.
  5. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    Looks like a nice pistol

6. kindaclever1

kindaclever1

I like it! Your LGS had that on it's shelf?

7. bunk22

bunk22

Yeah, actually purchased both off their shelf, both were the only ones they got. I picked up the G17 about two years ago.

8. Mike Papa

Mike Papa

Glock starts each run with SN000, so I believe ZFU003 would actually be number four in that run. I have had a consecutive number set of 000 and 001 that came out of the same sealed case from Glock to a Blue Label Dealer. I agree the finger grooves should have been deleted. Wonder how much ZEV would charge to redo the front of the grip? Very nice pistol when all said and done. Congratulations!!!

bunk22 likes this.
  9. glide

glide Just sayin'

Hard core Zev/Glock owner!!! Nice piece of kit, brother. The grip is awesome! Enjoy and be safe.

10. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I like the theme you've got going there!

11. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Question how does it shoot for you at say 25 yards?

12. bunk22

bunk22

Damnit, I wanted 3 :) Good to know and makes sense. They would charge way too much lol I'll be honest, because of my experience with my first Zev, I like their product a lot but it's an expensive Glock.

13. bunk22

bunk22

I'll check it from rest today. I can bring my stock 19, see how it compares. Same barrels, just lighter weight, better trigger.

14. Rocky7

Appreciate your effort!

15. bunk22

bunk22

I will say this, my shooting from 25 yards was embarrassing to say the least lol I fired both my Zev and standard Gen 4 G19. My Gen 4 has a 3.5lb Ghost Connector but that's it. Neither were more accurate than the other. The Zev Fulcrum trigger I have is a bit heavy, but no take up, short reset. My Gen 4 is lighter, but a bit more take-up and longer reset. No advantage with the Zev Tech at all, with my limited abilities. Up closer, no advantage IMO to either gun except the trigger is better with the Fulcrum. The Zev is lighter, feels better in the hand.

16. Rocky7

Thanks for the range update.

17. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool Bunk

Congrats!

18. bunk22

bunk22

My G19's...I will say I prefer the Zev but not for carry, the stippling will tear skin apart for sure.

[​IMG]

19. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

First, congrats on the pistols bunk22. Second, I will share my experience as people did ask about accuracy, shootability, etc.

I shot my home built, everything ZEV Gen3 G34 alongside a box stock Gen4 G34 from a pistol rest then off hand just to see what the mods really did. The trigger assembly is the fulcrum ultimate with their dimpled barrel. Both were shot from a CTK rest, Ammo was Magtech 115gr FMJ. At 25 yards, both pistols held sub 3" 10 round groups. When the targets were brought off the range, nobody could really distinguish which pistol shot which holes. What I am getting at is, when the human factor is removed, the pistol with the ZEV parts had no advantage over the one with all factory parts. Maybe if it was match ammo, the ZEV pistol would have excelled, but with standard off the shelf FMJ, no difference was apparent.

Off hand is a different story though. With the RMR removed from the pistol (I still cannot get used to it), using the irons, i was able to make a single half dollar sized hole with the ZEV 34. With the box stock G34, the hole widened by about an inch due to 3 flyers to the outside of the main hole. Still decent shooting by any means, but worse nonetheless. What that tells me? The combination of ZEV parts made no difference in accuracy with factory ammo. The parts did however compensate for deficiencies I have as a shooter. The lighter trigger, shorter reset, and shorter take up combined with the flat aluminum face was able to mask problems I have as a shooter with trigger control.

Do I love the pistol? Absolutely. It looks awesome and has functional mods that make the controls easier for me to operate.

Did it cost a fortune? For a Glock, hell yes. When compared to other match grade pistols like the Sig Mastershop, or a custom 1911, it was still cheap, but it is an apples and oranges comparison as those pistols are hand fitted taking hours of tedious attention from a qualified gunsmith while all the ZEV stuff is still drop in and aside from the stippling and undercuts takes no longer to assemble than any detail stripped Glock.

Did the build make the pistol more accurate? No, at least not with factory ammunition. Maybe match ammo would make the match grade barrel shine here, but I cannot say.

Does the gun make me shoot better? Yes, but with more practice of my trigger control I could be capable of shooting the factory stock pistol just as well. The pistol rest told me that I still have problems as a shooter, not that the ZEV pistol was any better.

Why would I spend that much money on a Glock which is already a great pistol? Because I felt like it and had the disposable income to do it. No other reason than that.

Any regrets? None.

Hope this helps for anyone on the fence looking at ZEV parts or a factory built ZEV Glock in any of their available tiers.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    bunk22 likes this.
  20. Rocky7

Appreciate the facts, often they are tainted opinions. I at my age bring prejudice to the table, I do realize that one must investigate what's out there or be lost one day as we are passed by.