Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've loaded a few thousand 124 gr FMJ rounds using unique but am looking to try some of the other powders I have on hand. Before I go loading ten or twenty test rounds with each powder I wanted to see what you guys thought. I have the following powders on hand to try: WST, W231, Blue Dot, Power Pistol, Bullseye, Accurate #9, or Titegroup. All rounds will be fired through my G19 or G26, both with stock barrels. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you have to go away from Unique.:crying:Of the powders you have, I think your best loads would come from WST,W231, and Power pistol. I have had good success with WST for lighter loads and Power Pistol for full power loads.
IMO Bluedot and AA#9 are a little too slow burning for 9mm. The opposite is true for Bullseye and Titegroup. That's not to say they won't work for you. I like the medium burners for 9mm.

Good Luck

·
local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
I have used WST, Win231, Power Pistol, Titegroup. They all work fine. I have a good load for each of them with 124 loads for my G17. WSF is my first choice for 9mm. Off your list win 231 would be my next choice. No real reason other than personal preference..

·
Jellybaby?
542 Posts
I use Blue Dot for 147gr loads for steel.

231 for 125 cast which is 95% of my 9mm shooting.

Sent from my TT Capsule Type 40 MkI TARDIS

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
What will you be evaluating?
They can all be used and the difference with FMJ in a Glock will not be much.

WST Pretty fast for 9mm, watch your load.

W231 My standard, I don't see a need to try other stuff.

Blue Dot Slow burning, a top load is mighty near a case full.

Power Pistol A good high velocity powder, the bright flash and loud report will make you feel manly.

Bullseye Probably been used for any pistol caliber that has been loaded with smokeless at all. Fast but flexible.

Accurate #9 Too slow, do you have data?

Titegroup Another fast powder, but usable if you don't want super performance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just got a 19 so loaded 4.1 gr if 231, won't cycle the 19 but shoots great in my Bersa, any advice? I used some #2 loads with lead and they shot great in the 19. Have lots of Unique(8lb) and 2lb of Titegroup.

·
local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
I just got a 19 so loaded 4.1 gr if 231, won't cycle the 19 but shoots great in my Bersa, any advice? I used some #2 loads with lead and they shot great in the 19. Have lots of Unique(8lb) and 2lb of Titegroup.

If 4.1 wont cycle your 19 bump it up a bit. 4.4 is max.
for tightgroup try 4.1 with a 124g 1.135 OAL.

·
disciplinare
454 Posts
All depends on what you're after with this load... Is there a Power Factor you're trying to make? Looking for best accuracy? Lowest flash & report? Low recoil? ?????

For all purpose, I'd suggest either W231 or Power Pistol.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really just want to have accurate target loads using different powders . If I can do work ups with what I have on hand I'll know what works. I like being prepared for when things run low or run out. I'll start working with W231 this weekend. I might try some tightgroup and bullseye too. I have 4 lbs. of bullseye and 7lbs. of tightgroup. I have to do something with it.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
gunowner1..."I really just want to have accurate target loads using different powders."

There are lots of powders out there that will give you good results for target loads. Although I do not use my G26 for "target rounds" per-say, the same powders I list below will run 124g XTP's just fine through it.

Here are some that have worked well in my test loads using my G17, G19;

124g FMJ RN -
Accurate #5
Alliant Bullseye, Power Pistol
Hodgdon HS6, Universal
Winchester Autocomp, 231, WSF

Good luck and be safe out there

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Accurate #5 is a good powder for 124gr 9mm loads. I use 6.2gr and it gives me a velocity comparable to range ammo.

I'm also open to other options. I like Accurate powders, however, they are not as economical as other brands because they often use more than others.

·
local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
I really just want to have accurate target loads using different powders . If I can do work ups with what I have on hand I'll know what works. I like being prepared for when things run low or run out. I'll start working with W231 this weekend. I might try some tightgroup and bullseye too. I have 4 lbs. of bullseye and 7lbs. of tightgroup. I have to do something with it.
If you have 7 lbs of tight group then try this.
4.1 grains of tightgroup 124g RN at 1.135 OAL.
Chronos around 1110 fps at sea level.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have 7 lbs of tight group then try this.
4.1 grains of tightgroup 124g RN at 1.135 OAL.
Chronos around 1110 fps at sea level.
I appreciate the information. I loaded up ten rounds at those specs this morning. I'll try them tomorrow with others I have ready.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts