Piano tips for idiots (meaning me)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I've been self-learning piano.

I can play a song, like "Yesterday", from one of those E-Z play today books.

What do you when a left hand chord seems to interfere with the right hand notes? I mean, they are physically getting the fingers crunched together and using the same keys at the same time.

Do you drop the chord down an octave, thus moving the left hand away from the right hand? Do you use some inversion of the chord, so it drops the left hand down a bit (to the left) and out of the way?

Or do you just let left and right hand fingers land on the same piano keys at the same time?

In general, I never really know on what ocatave I should play a chord. And I don't know if I should play an inversion or a root. I just try to play whatever sounds best to me.

2. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

If you're playing from a fake book or something similar, play whatever octave sounds good to you. I think the point of fake books is to help you know what the music is but to play it with your own style.

If you're playing off a sheet of music that says to play the chords a certain way, what I usually do is put the right hand in front of the left, playing the left closer to the tips of the keys.

3. automatic slim

automatic slim Walmart Shopper

You have 10 fingers(hopefully) and 88 notes, bass to treble. Try all the octaves and inversions. Some stuff might take 2 hands in the same spot.

Booker-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifAXV4LQ9S4

Slim-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xed6pyIVqLU-don't forget about that pedal:cool:

BTW, if you can play like that, I'll give a job immediately.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

How many ocataves?

x

How many inversions?

Perhaps I should instead try every note on the piano, in every sequence, varying the duration of, and between, each note, until I get the sound I like.
    :faint:

5. automatic slim

automatic slim Walmart Shopper

i want to help you the best I can.
    Please understand that 'inversions' are simply mixing up the same notes to make the same chord, 1,3,5.
    Example, a C chord is C,E, and G. Why not make it G, E, and C? Same notes=same chord, regardless of the octave. Notice how Sunnyland used a 1 in the bass to define the chord in the video, sometimes.:cool:

LISTEN!!!!!!!! to each, and find what sounds good to YOU. Music is not math, it's music. Screwing around with different ways to play the same basic song is a great way to learn. Try the 3 or the 5 in the bass on a chord instead of 1 and see what you think of it.

If I'm getting over you're head, I apologize. PM me. I will be happy to explain in more detail.

6. Mostly 9

Mostly 9

I tried to help and you mock me? A-Whole!

7. AltiDude

AltiDude

Player piano. Takes all the guess work out of it.

8. Halojumper

Halojumper

The traditional paper roll air player piano has been replaced by the CD based Clavinova type. Of course, those might have been replaced by an SD card by now, or some other USB version.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

A bit sensitive?

I ordered one of those books, based on your link. So, I probably should have said thanks for that.

But I was also wondering if you had anything to say about what you thought was important.

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The octave tends to change the mood of the music. Lower equals more serious. Something like that.

Sometimes I don't want to go lower, but yet the chord is being played around middle C, and the notes are being played around there, too, and they get in each other's way.

For example, (not a good example, I'm sure).

What if you want to play FAC with the left hand at the exact same moment you want to play C with the right hand? For one moment, both hands are playing the same piano key. The chord sounds thinner because is being mixed in with the note of the melody. (Or, I could also say the melody sounds thinner).

If I move the left hand down an octave to plan a lower FAC, and the right hand plays the middle C, then it all sounds richer. But, the mood has become more serious. So, that chord seems too low.

Are you saying, just try CFA?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  11. Mostly 9

Mostly 9

I accept your apology.

If I had anything else to say, I would have...said it.

Q: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

A: Practice, son, practice!