'Physical Evidence' Links Sex Offender to Teen's Disappearance, Police Say

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Mar 1, 2010.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    'Physical Evidence' Links Sex Offender to Teen's Disappearance, Police Say

[​IMG]
    Chelsea King, who disappeared Thursday, is pictured in an undated photo posted by friends on a Facebook page devoted to her.

Authorities said Monday they have strong "physical evidence" linking a registered sex offender to the disappearance of suburban San Diego teenager Chelsea King.

Investigators arrested 30-year-old John Albert Gardner on suspicion of rape and murder in connection with her disappearance.

The arrest came Sunday after 120 law enforcement officers and 1,400 volunteers scoured Rancho Bernardo Community Park in San Diego for the 17-year-old honor student.

"Evidence found in the last few days at the scene has led us to Gardner," Jan Caldwell, a spokeswoman for the San Diego County Sheriff, told Fox News in an interview Monday.

Caldwell, who would not elaborate on the specific nature of the evidence, said investigators continue to comb the area around Lake Hodges in the park where Chelsea's car was found.

SanDiego6.com reported Monday that underwear found near the lake contained DNA that lead investigators to Gardner.
    Gardner was taken into custody outside a business in Escondido shortly after 4 p.m. Sunday.

"I think our best clue is who the sheriff's department has arrested," Chelsea's father, Brent King, told Fox News.
    "She is every parent's dream," added her mother, Kelly, who described the straight-A student and long-distance runner as "bright, outgoing and compassionate."

On Sunday, San Diego Police Chief Bill Gore told reporters that the investigation is "ongoing" and that "specific criminal charges are still being determined."

Investigators also suspect Gardner could be tied to a Dec. 27 assault on a female jogger from Colorado Springs, Colo. in the park, a popular regional recreation area full of running trails, Gore said.

Gardner is from Lake Elsinore some 75 miles north of San Diego, according to the Megan's Law Web site. He had to register as a sex offender because of a conviction for lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14, the site said.

It was not immediately clear whether Gardner has hired an attorney.

Caldwell said the search for King and for further evidence would continue throughout the day and expand beyond the park.

"The search and rescue efforts here are almost unprecedented," she said. "They have literally moved heaven and earth to find this little girl."

Over 2,500 volunteers also handed out flyers during the weekend effort.

"It's a reflection of who she is and what kind of person she is," Brent King said of the numbers showing up to help. "She's that kind of kid that everybody loves, and it shows."

Chelsea King's BMW was found in the park after she failed to return to her home in suburban Poway, Calif. on Thursday.

Investigators also looked for clues on the teen's cell phone, which was found in her car, and on her home computer.

The search for Chelsea King, an honor student and senior at Poway High School, also took to the Internet, where a Facebook page generated more than 24,000 fans. A Web site was created at findchelsea.com.

Family spokesomwan Stephanie Dorian told FoxNews.com Sunday that Chelsea, a peer counselor and french horn player with the San Diego Youth Symphony, "usually didn't run alone."

"She's incredibly intelligent, well-liked and beautiful," Dorian said. "This is the most horrific nightmare you could ever imagine."

2. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

Another dead girl...courtesy of a local sex offender that should have been shot years ago.

3. craig_o

craig_o CLM

Amen.

4. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Took the words right outta my mouth, ma'am.

RIP, Chelsea. You sounded like a good kid.

5. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

That about sums it up.:steamed:

6. smokin762

smokin762

I feel it is truly sad to read stories like this. I have a daughter and I worry about her all the time. You never know who is next.

I think the best we as parents can do is to try to have our children taught self defense and teach our child to pay more attention to their surroundings and be aware of their environment at all times but I wonder sometimes if that is even enough to help them. I feel sorry for the parents of this young lady.

7. goldenlight

goldenlight

This.

8. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Why are these scum bags released back into society :crying:
    Regards
    DW

9. eyesnorth

eyesnorth

Because of judges have lost their "gavels".

Poor kid.

10. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

Well, they found her body. I wish I was shocked. When they let this puke out, they said he was very likely to reoffend...but they let him out. Not even a electronic ankle braclet...just let him out. My heart breaks for her tonight, and for her heartbroken parents...and I gotta tell you, this **** makes me hateful...and with every news story I read, I get a little bit colder....and less willing to believe that most people have an ounce of good in them....

11. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

12. JBJ16

JBJ16

How come a sex offender gets a whole lot less jail time than someone who illegally possesses a Drop In Auto Sear or cuts his Shotgun barrel into 17-7/8" ?

Strange
    :dunno:

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Plenty of people have good.

But you've got to be prepared for the bad ones.

We can be nice and social and polite. All the time while we are talking to a stranger or a casual aquintance, we have 10 rounds of 9mm concealed, holstered, and ready at our side.

The question is how do we watch over the young ones until they are old enough to carry? And at what age should they legally be able to carry a gun?

14. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

I often feel the same way, even over little things like people being impolite. However, stories like this make it hard to have any faith in humanity.

The problem isn't just the sicko, it's the 'system' that didn't protect 'us' from the sicko. People like this are the reasons we build prisons (and gas chambers, electric chairs, etc.).

15. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Hard to argue with the above.

[​IMG]
    Total depravity.

16. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

The justice system fails again.
    Big f-ing deal if he gets the death penalty. It'll never heal the wounds he has inflicted on that families souls. Sex offenders need to be executed in the public square. I'm waiting on the judges excuse as to why the guy was released.
    What, the jails are to full of scumbags? Habitual criminals? Could it be that the slaps on the wrist that they get, 2 months, 6 months, 1 year for crimes. Might sentences of 5 + years for violent crimes get some to thinking. No probation, no early release. They kill or attack someone in prison, they get the death penalty in 24 hours, not 10 years of appeals. Sentences served to the day. It would change some minds about going to jail. I know it would not happen, but I'm just really upset about that piece of ***** being let out to commit another string of crimes. That panel or judge that did not listen to the psychologist about not letting him out should be dealt a sentence in prison too. No conscience about what he did, why should the justice system have a conscience? Crime proven that it was committed by him, execute in 24 to 48 hours. :steamed:

17. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

It is a big deal if he gets the death penalty because he might just re-offend...again.

18. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Don't get too upset yet. Save some for the next time he gets out on parole.

My anger is split equal between him and the judge that sentenced him.

What these people have, can not be cured. There is NO place in our society for them. None.

19. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

He needs to be let out in general population with some of the hand picked inmates that are against rape of children. Death penalty cost taxpayers way to much to keep him in a cell for 10 years as he exhausts his appeals.
    Not much a boat trip, anvil and nylon rope could'nt fix. Bullets would be a great starter to attract the sharks.

20. Morris

Morris CLM

I haven't seen it so maybe some California members can clarify: was he released/furloughed early as a part of the budget in California?