Photoshop Question

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Team Greenbaum, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Team Greenbaum

Team Greenbaum Millennium Member

I'm working with a photographer to make an 18"x24" poster and we're having some trouble preparing the image for printing. Here's his description of the problem we're having. Any help would be appreciated.

I shot a model this past week on a black background. I did a pretty good job on lighting so I only had to adjust the levels a slight amount. I just wanted my black background dark. One of my last post processing adjustments was a soft focus using "Image Factory's" soft focus filter. I have a dell LCD and blowing it up to 200% looks great. On my customer's LCD and CRT, part of the image has a halo. The halo exists only in portions, down one arm, upper hair, and one finger. We then experimented on other monitors and found mixed results. Some monitors have a halo and others do not. Has anyone else experienced this? We printed a smaller picture and it looked great. Our concern is that the end result is to be a large poster so we don't know how it's going to print.

2. DTQ

DTQ c8h10n4o2 me

we need to see it.

3. DTQ

DTQ c8h10n4o2 me

Post a crop. Is the halo in the original non post-production image?

Thats a starting point.

It could just be a sharpening halo or it could be..

Post a crop.

Show us the image at 100% and 200%

4. Glock27Girl

Glock27Girl Glock 23 Owner

It would help to see a small version of the image or portion of the image for reference. Halos can be produced for a number of reasons, including during the actual capture but some are also produced during image editing. Some reasons for halos could be oversharpening, which produces a brighter line, often white, on the border of contrasting tones, such as black next to white for an extreme example. The shadow highlights tool causes a thicker, less perceptible halo in the lighter areas around a darker area. A lot of this tool needs to be applied to get a noticable halo.

An image of the halo you're refering to, even just a magnified section of it, could help in troubleshooting the problem.

5. New23

New23

You can test by printing a cropped portion of the image, like printing test strips in the old darkroom days. Size the image in Photoshop to print in your desired final size. Then crop a small part of that to include some of the offending halo. Print that cropped part. Do a few small sections to try different halo parts.

6. Team Greenbaum

Team Greenbaum Millennium Member

Thanks for all the tips! Turns out it was caused by the soft focus filter. He re-did all his touchups without it and the results were great.