close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Photoshop CS upgrade surpirise

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by scowan007, Oct 4, 2004.

1. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Found my old copy of Photoshop 4.0 and the manual, so I decided to go ahead and get the CS (MAC) upgrade. It was late at night and I was impatient, so I decided to buy the download version direct from adobe (Thank God for 3 meg Cable!).

The old version was not installed on my machine. I was expecting the upgrade to ask for my old serial number. It never did!!!

I received an e-mail from Adobe as the upgrade was downloading with a new serial number. It was like I bought a full new package.

I thought Adobe was a lot stricter about this stuff.

I do have Elements installed on this machine, but Adobe states explicitly that elements is not eligible for the upgrade.

PS-the lady at the Apple Store emphatically stated that the CS upgrade only worked on 5.0 or later, but Adobe's site said "any previous version" so I rolled the dice.

2. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Cool. Anyone knows if CS can be installed on more than 1 computer, i.e. your destop at home and a laptop for the road?

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You're okay. It is my understanding that 4.0 is the basis for the upgrade. As long as you have that, you can get CS. I have 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0, and it is ver 4 that it wants (that was the full version, the rest were updates). I even called Apple, and they said it's cool. $169.

4. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Sandune, I believe the license is for two machines. You can verify that on Adobe's site.

Hwy, The thing that surprised me is that the upgrade did not check for any previous version. I could have installed this without ever having had a previous version. I was pretty sure I was ok with 4.0.

edited to add the following:

Section 2.4 of the CS license agreement -
    "Portable or Home computer use. The primary user of the computer on which the software is installed may install a second copy of the software ofr his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as software on the primary computer."

IIRC- if both machines are on the same network, and a copy is already open, opening a second copy will detect the duplicate serial # and not start up.

5. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

yup, 2 installations is all you can do. i tried to load a copy on my computer at home and was not able to. macromedia does the same thing with their products. bummer.

6. Blue59

Blue59

Adobe was just happy you even paid for it.
    Hackers usually unravel the serial number and registration systems of new versions of popular software within a few days of its release.
    ~

7. T. Harless

T. Harless

As long as you're not trying to run the same copy on multiple machine on the same network, you should be able to load it all you want. In the Mac world anyway. I have it on a G5 & G4 desktops and a G4 Powerbook. Have inadvertently tried to fire it up on two machine. Won't go. CS does rock on a dual G5! Todd

8. hile

hile

ITYM 'crackers'

9. hile

hile

Simple, put the two machines you're most likely to use it on two different subnets :) Or just snoop to see what it sends where it "calls home" to see another copy running on the same network. Then block that traffic :)

CS on a dual G5 is pretty cool. Not quite as cool as PS4 running on an 8- or 16-processor SGI monster. I *LOVE* Irix for image/audio/video stuff.

10. General Sherman

General Sherman