Photoshop 5 and Vista

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ShipWreck, Aug 3, 2007.

1. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

My computer was DOA yesterday when I got home - changing the power supply didn't work.

Today, I will try to go buy a new PC.

My question is this - I have standard photoshop 5 which I use all the time. I do not think it will be compatible with Vista, will it? I know I am a few versions behind of photoshop, but the program is expensive, and 5.0 does what I need it to do.

I did some Googling, but it seems that all the talk is about "Elements 5.0" - not the older version of Photoshop itself.

Anyone know if it will run on Vista?

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Photoshop 5 has issues with linking files under Win 2000, not even going to try it under Vista! :shocked:

3. ShipWreck

Ok, appreciate it - it had worked under XP.

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Interesting. It will launch and load a graphic under XP? My version 5 install won't load the graphic under W2000.

The major issue is Vista uses a totally different graphics system than the previous versions of Windows.

Give it a try the worst is you have to uninstall it. ;)

5. ShipWreck

It is 5.5 that I have - I just found teh disk. And yea, I've used it under XP for 3.5 years.

6. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

You can always run it in compatibility mode in Vista. I've had to do that with a couple programs and it seems to work.

7. ShipWreck

I know zilch about Vista (I am not liking it too much on this new PC I bought today) - How do U do that?

8. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

control panel - programs - programs and features - use an older program with this version of windows. That will bring you to the wizard that takes you through step by step. You can also right click on the program from the desktop, start menu or quick launch, go into properties-compatibility.

What did you buy? What problems are you having.

9. ShipWreck

I bought another HP.

Last night around 1am before heading to bed, I installed Photoshop 5.5, and it took. I opened a fe things and it seems that it works. But I will save the info U just told me because I didn't know that.

One problem I am having is trying to edit the start menu. I know how to do it in XP - and quite often, things were scattered between "owner" and "administrator" and "all users" in the various start menus, depending on the program.

But in Vista, only 4-5 items that are in the start menu section sho up when I try to go in and edit (and move stuff around/consolidate the start menu).

There is only 1 user, me - as the admin. Although, everytime I install a program or make any changes, it would give me some approval menu - so, it is almost like I am logged in as admin, but it goes thru some additional authentication process.

Well, I can't figure out how to get it to let me edit the start menu. Ideas?

10. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

If you're talking about the left side when you click on the windows logo in the lower left corner, it remembers what programs you use the most often and places those there. You can choose to have programs there by right clicking on them and selecting pin to start menu. You can remover items from there by right clicking and selecting remove from this list.

11. ShipWreck

Well, I want to EDIt it - move some folders around and combine some folders. I don't want 2 pages of stuff coming up when I use the classic view of the start menu.

12. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I don't know if you can using classic. I've never tried and wouldn't know where to begin.

13. ShipWreck

OK.

In XP, itw as easy - right now, it will only let me edit a few start menu folders.

Everytime I install something or do something, it does some sort of admin clearance y/n thing before I can proceed. It seems like even if U are in the admin acct, U don't get admin privileges until U actually need them. A security thing?

Nots ure - I gotta figure out a way to find a setting that will let me edit the start menu.

14. ShipWreck

Never mind - I did it after hours of searching - in fact, I am not sure where I found it to do it again - but now my Start menu doesn't scroll over 2x.

15. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Start | Control Panel | Security Center | Other Security Settings | User Account Control | Turn Off

Start | Control Panel | Security Center | Change the way Security Center Alerts me | Don't notify me and don't display the icon

NB: Vista defragments the HDDs as a background task when the machine is idle. You can do it manually in the usual fashion; My Computer | drive | Properties | etc.

Oh, and before I forget, as we are discussing a Microsoft product, I am obliged, against my better judgement, by the rules of the greater GNU univererse and as it is a requirement to post in this forum, I advise:

Get Linux! :upeyes:
    Replace Internet Explorer with FireFox! :upeyes:
    Get a MAC! :upeyes:

:upeyes: :upeyes: :upeyes: :upeyes: :supergrin:

If your Vista score is at least 3.0, it will run fine. Two gig of memory is helpful, not mandatory, but memory is so cheap these days, even if you have to pitch 2 512s for 2 1 gigs it's still a deal.

Good luck with the machine, mi amigo.

16. ShipWreck

That is super helpful. I will make those changes.

1 last thing - I managed to edit the start menu after messing with it a while - I am not sure how I did it.

Now, however, I have a folder on the desktop that says "start menu." it isn't a shortcut - it is an actual folder. It will not let me move it off the desktop or delete it.
    If I open it, it takes my directly to the place to edit the start menu.

But, I don't want it on the desktop. Any ideas how to get rid of this?

17. ShipWreck

How do I turn off the idle feature?

18. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

minor nit to pick, vista will run fine as long as the scores other than graphics are above 3.0, the composite score is determined by the lowest of the scores. My graphics score is 2.9 until I get the new vid card on wednesday, and it works great for me.

Shipwreck, he's talking about the feature that auto starts defrag at a given time, but won't steal processor cycles or memory if you're using it for something else.

19. ShipWreck

ok, thanks :)