Photographic lighting?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by hickok45, Feb 14, 2010.

1. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

Hey,

Most of my YouTube videos are done outside, but I've noticed quite a reduction in quality when I do one inside my reloading room. Seems that even with lots of lights around, the resolution is pretty lame.

My question is, what type of lighting works best for this? It's a pretty small room actually, with not brightly colored walls or anything, just raw wood. Most of the current lighting is from florescent lighting and or the new curly bulbs.

I'd like to improve the quality, but I hate to spend the kind of money I've seen that actual photographic lighting costs, although it IS a small room and might not require major investment. I'm wondering if one of these bright light packs you can buy at Home Depot would make the difference or whether I do need to go with real photographic lighting to get it right?

Thanks for any input.

2. badlands99

badlands99

Hello Mr. Hickock. I'm a huge fan of yours and a youtube subscriber for quite a while. I'm a photographer and I'm delighted to have an opportunity to offer some help, if I'm able (and if I'm not too late, I only visit GT occasionally).

You can easily light your videos with one of those halogen light kits from Home Depot. There's no need to spend a ton of money. The trick is to know how to place and direct the light. You don't want direct light. That makes things look harsh, contrasty, and difficult to see detail in many situations. If you are lucky and happen to have a white (or anything close to white) ceiling, the quick, easy, and simple solution is to point the light(s) at the ceiling. If your ceiling is dark, like the walls, then it's a bit more challenging and may require some other type of reflectors or diffusers.

Feel free to email me directly for more details or if you have any specific questions. badlands99 (gnat) earthlink (spot) net.

Thanks for making all those videos!