close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Photo negative scanners

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by itstime, Feb 20, 2007.

1. itstime

itstime

Hello all,

Stupid question. I have a bunch of old negatives from when I used to take more pics.

If I get one of these photo scanners that scan negatives, does it just make a digital image of the negative to store or could I use software to actually print some of the prints directly from the negative?

Of the hundreds or thousands I have only some here and there I'd want to print. Save the hastle of going to the store.

Thanks. Any input woudld be greatly appreciated.

2. thonl

thonl Millennium Member

Most, if not all, of those desktop scanners will scan negatives, and the resulting files will be photo postives, with adjustments for brightness/contrast and color curves.

You could then take those files to your local photo printer(Best Buy, Target, Sam's Club, whatever...) and make prints.

3. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

I have a Visioneer 8920 that came with a negative mask: it's a heavy black plastic thing with a hole the size of a negative frame.

When set up for scanning negatives, the scanner top has a light that shines through the negative rather than reflected light that you normally get.

I have tried it a few times with so-so results.

The software will reverse the colors so you see a positive.

The resolution can be set high, and doing so will give GIANT files.

Scanning 1 frame at the time is a pain.

And there always seems to be a problem. Not sure if it's Newton's rings or what. It's like the small space between the scanner's sensor and the negative gives weird distortions. Hard to describe but not satisfactory quality for me.