Philosophy of Policing

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Feb 20, 2010.

1. blueiron

blueiron

Policing

If you aren't pissing people off,

you aren't doing it right!

2. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

Oh but the public is who determines if we are good officers or not. Better do everything you can to keep them happy! :upeyes:

3. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

What ever happened to "serve and protect"? Just remember that those taxpayers you are pissing off are paying your salary.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

And awaaaaaay we go.

5. Pepper45

Pepper45

I'll refund your share.

blueiron is exactly right. If we aren't making someone angry, we're not doing what we need to do. By the very nature of our jobs, we intervene in nasty situations, and usually at least one of the parties doesn't like our solution. Sure, some folks might meekly turn around and get cuffs put on, but they're not all of them. There are also folks that might object to a tone we use. There are folks who might not like that we arrested junior, and then told them to stay the hell away from us until we've secured the scene. Those people get pissed off, and those people complain to the brass. It's a fact of life.

Considering all of that, if we're not pissing people off, we're riding a desk somewhere.

6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I followed my Old Chiefs philosophy, decent citizens deserve a break and dirtbags deserve to go to jail.

7. Dragoon44

An we also pay the same taxes so does that make us self employed?

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Since I don't have that many whom are considered decent citizens, (some visitors may be considered decent citizens), I just have to go with the philosophy that they deserve to go to jail. Oh, that's right I work in a prison. LOL.

9. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Again, that's entirely true.

Have you ever wondered why they don't give us tax discounts for being servants of the Public's Trust?:whistling:

10. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I'd better not. :supergrin:

11. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

I knew I should have donned my flame retardant suit before that post! :supergrin: I was a LEO for 12 years before deciding on a career change, and I pissed off plenty of folks. You can't please everyone and no matter how hard you try to help some people, they view LEO's as the enemy. However, I also had some citizens that thanked me because I treated them with respect and dignity. What I can't tolerate is Barney Fife wannabees that are dicks to law-abiding citizens or break the laws they are sworn to enforce. :upeyes: I know these type of LEO's are the exception, and not the rule.

Keep up the good work and be safe out there!

12. Dragoon44

My general rule of thumb is you are on the right track when you invoke two different responses from the same people depending on whether this time they are the suspect or the victim.

When they are the suspect they say,

"Oh **** it's YOU!"

When they are the victim they say,

"Thank God it's YOU!

13. Patchman

Patchman Florist

That's the most stupid argument there is. Both my wife and I pay taxes just like everyone else in this country. Given how much we pay, I'm working for free for the first 5 months of the year.

14. Patchman

Patchman Florist

The average citizen is like a typical teenager. They know everything about everything, and everyone else is an idiot. Until they get themselves into something they can't get out of, then they run crying to mommy or daddy.

15. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

I hate to break it to you, pal, but all those people who are patrons of whatever business you work for, pay your salary too... I'm sure some of them might even be cops (who's salary you pay, so they can come back and pay your salary).

See how all of that works? It's called the circle of economics. I pay for your service when I got in to a burger joint and get a meal. You pay for my service when you pay taxes. No different. But don't think for a second that means I work for you.

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

"those taxpayers you are pissing off "

I remain a bit skeptical as to the exact method some of our best customers are taxpayers. Do "urban pharmaceutical entrepreneurs" get a W2 form as employees or do they have to generate their own quarterly payments to the IRS as contractors? At the risk of turning my own stomach, do some of my federal taxes go to HUD which in turn subsidizes the rent at section eight apartments making me in effect sort of a second hand slum lord?

17. sargespd

sargespd

The ultimate reality of policing is that no one ever really wants to see you. Even when you are there to pull their fat out of the fire, it presumes that something bad was happening to them in the first place. So even if they are glad to see you in the moment, they sure aren't glad for the situation that required your presence. I do believe that to the extent that it doesn't prevent cops from enforcing the law fairly and appropriately, that it is the right of the community being served to determine exactly what service they expect. If the citizens of the community prefers cops to patrol on bikes and on foot to provide easier contacts with the community, then thats the way it should be. If your community is in the grips of high crime, then you may want your officers to be very aggressive in dealing with the criminal element. Another important reality is to remember that when you as a community swear in police officers, you are in effect transferring certain power to them that you expect them to exercise on your behalf. You are telling them, in effect, that if the situation warrants it, they are empowered to detain them, search them, jail them, use force to apprehend and control them, and in the extreme, to use deadly force. So yeah, realistically, you're probably pissing someone off pretty much all the time, even when you're doing what they swore you to do in the first place.

18. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Don't like how they do the job, cut off funding, don't pay your taxes.

19. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

It's not usually the citizens who pay taxes who are getting pissed off. Most dudes don't file taxes on their drug money.

20. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

My favorite line actually came from a stewardess...er, flight attendant :winkie: that I was in a Krav Maga class with. I think it applies very well to LE or any sort of Emergency Services:

"We're here to save your ***, not kiss it."