Philly man on Mt. Washington calls 911, doesn't wait for rescuers, hikes out on his own

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 4Rules, Oct 7, 2019.

1. 4Rules

4Rules

6 p.m. Saturday conservation officers were notified of a hiker reportedly suffering from a medical condition on the Crawford Path, approximately three-quarters of a mile from the summit of Mt. Washington. Emil Babu, of Philadelphia, Pa., was hiking with two other companions when he started experiencing difficulty breathing and asked one of his companions to call 911. Babu and his hiking companions lacked extra food, water, lights or adequate warm clothing and with temperatures at the summit near freezing, a rescue effort was launched. Conservation Officers and two volunteers from Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue (AVSAR) responded to the summit of Mt. Washington and hiked down the Crawford Path to evaluate Babu’s condition and determine if they would need a larger rescue effort. Unable to locate Babu and his companions within the first mile, the rescuers continued searching along the path, all the way to Lakes of the Clouds Hut, and were still unable to locate the trio. After several attempts to call the cellphone of the hikers failed, contact was finally made at approximately 9:30 p.m. Babu and his companions told rescuers they had decided they did not want to wait for the time it would take the rescuers to reach them and instead decided to try to hike back down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail — a distance of more than 4 miles — on their own, and failed to call authorities to inform rescuers. The team discontinued the search effort and returned to the summit.
    https://www.unionleader.com/news/safety/philly-man-on-mt-washington-calls-doesn-t-wait-for/article_17cc6ff3-930b-5f5e-ab23-df1e233a402d.html?block_id=664693

Rotn1 likes this.
  2. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

I hope they find a large bill in their mailbox.

Kevinr20, gamboolman, dartor and 15 others like this.

3. mj9mm

mj9mm

time wasting morons,

Kevinr20, tuica, Rotn1 and 4 others like this.
  4. bandsaw

bandsaw

tuica, Rotn1, ReaPer105 and 4 others like this.
  5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have no issue with them calling for help. No issue with walking out.

BUT they needed to stay in contact. "We are here, one is having health issue..." "He is feeling better, we are going to try to go down the trail to cars". "We made it to the cars. We are going to warm up, get some food... Thank you for being our backup if he totally collapsed. "

I called in a building fire before it was out of my ability to stop. I doubted I could stop it myself. I did. I then called 911, informed them it was under control, basicly out. The grass fire crew cab showed up. Firemen agreed it's best to get help on the way before you are too far gone.

If I doubted my ability to get back to car. Night, cold, breathing problems. Yep 911. But update as things change, for dang sure if you move.

ClydeG19, Tvov, tuica and 7 others like this.
  6. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

They should send them the bill.

tuica, Rotn1, Bruce M and 2 others like this.
  7. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

How many times have we warned you against using common-sense and just good manners if nothing else??!!

railfancwb, tuica, K. Foster and 4 others like this.
  8. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

You can try and bill them for the rescue but they aren’t going to pay it. We constantly run into this type of situation on a local river we have. Get called out to perform a water rescue, perform the rescue, people get the bill, they don’t pay it. Since we are a public safety taxing district we don’t send anyone to collections. It’s ridiculous.

E-2-E, tuica, Rotn1 and 5 others like this.
  9. nmk

nmk

Slow news day for the union leader,

10. nrajeff

nrajeff

Regardless of the cost, those guys were jerks to cause the rescuers unneeded stress trying to find someone who for all they knew was dying. Telling them "April Fools, I'm actually okay" after putting them through that deserves a butt-kicking.

Not mention that every time a S&RT goes out, they are putting their own safety at risk. To find out they did it for nothing this time has gotta be irritating.

11. WT

WT Millennium Member

Been to the top of Mt. Washington twice … on my motorcycle.

At the bottom it can be nice and warm. At the top one might run into sleet, freezing rain, and high winds. The buildings on top have heavy chains to hold them down. The weather can be a deadly combination.

Anyway, I got a sticker for my motorcycle.
    "This bike climbed Mt. Washington."

E-2-E, tuica, wanderinwalker and 4 others like this.
  12. Blanton

Blanton

THIS is why the hikers are fools, should be forever banned from Mt Washington and pay for the expenses incurred by them:

Babu and his hiking companions lacked extra food, water, lights or adequate warm clothing and with temperatures at the summit near freezing,

E-2-E, tuica, larry_minn and 2 others like this.
  13. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

14. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

We already pay the bill in taxes. They should have kept in contact. It's four effing miles downhill. It's not like this was some expedition hike. Big whoop.

tuica likes this.
  15. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Mt. Washington elevation 1,370 feet. You call that a mountain? That ain't nuthin' but a hill. I drove my 70 Chevelle to the top of Pikes Peak once, elevation 14,115 feet.

norcalAF and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  16. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Not sure what mountain you looked at, not much compared to the Rockies, but:

Mount Washington, called Agiocochook by some Native American tribes, is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288.2 ft and the most topographically prominent mountain east of the Mississippi River.

17. Timber Ghost

Timber Ghost

I hiked it once via Tuckerman's Ravine. I carried all of the recommended gear. Didn't need any of it. It was a beautiful, clear day. Two days later someone died of exposure because they didn't carry appropriate gear.

When I ride my motorcycle I always wear a helmet, even though it is not required by law where I live. I only ever needed it once, but I still wear it all the time.

nrajeff, E-2-E, Slackinoff and 4 others like this.
  18. Hartford

Hartford

Being
    Being that it's the tallest thing in the Northeast and so high above the surrounding country it really takes a beating. Held a world record wind gust of 231 mph for a long time. The winds that come southeast across the flat country of Canada bring some wild weather and highly variable conditions.

Out west the mountains are taller but so is all the country around. Our tree line is about 4000 feet. Out west it's at least double that in most states. Comparing the two places based only on elevation really isn't accurate.

nrajeff, E-2-E, Never Nervous and 6 others like this.
  19. amd65

amd65

I met some serious tent designers from Sierra Designs once.
    They used Mt Washington to test their tents, often to destruction. It is well known for sudden weather changes, and high wind.

E-2-E, tuica, wanderinwalker and 2 others like this.
  20. IvanVic

IvanVic

The Presidential Range (which includes Mount Washington) is the deadliest mountain range in the country. It quite literally has some of the worst weather in the world. It is infamous among alpinists and mountaineers.

22D2259C-3543-4FD6-9484-2BC7A895F8B0.jpeg

nrajeff, E-2-E, n2g and 7 others like this.