Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I am a Filipino who is a historical enthusiast. I am writing this message to see if anyone from my country could help give me some advice. As many of you may know, the Government has set the limit of owning firearms to those whose bullet doesn't exceed 7.62mm in diameter.

Me being a historical enthusiast, I plan to get some rifles with historical significance in the near future. But as is the case, many of these rifles that predate the modern era, or are from the early modern era possess slightly larger bores. I wish to get something like the K98k, Gewehr 88, or something like that, but the problem with these types of firearms is that their bullet diameter is around 7.92mm. This is a recurring case with many other rifles whose bullet diameters are generally reaching the 8mm spectrum. This is indeed a small difference, but within the context of the law, these things are generally not permitted to be circulated.

Is there a way that I may be able to own historical rifles like these? Are there such things as appeals or special permission letters which may allow me to posses such firearms?

That'll be all, thank you very much and have a nice day.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I doubt you are going to get legal advice on Philippine law on this forum. If you do you should ignore it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
it may be a streach but we rebarrel k98s all the time to other calibers, get a k98 rebarreled to .308 (7.62x51)!!! it might not be numbers matching but it can LOOK identical in every other way, this might be a viable option to have the rifle you want legally, and i have 308 rifles and thats alot more horsepower than an 8mm mauser

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
I doubt you are going to get legal advice on Philippine law on this forum. If you do you should ignore it.
im just trying to figure out why the Phillipino is trying to figure out how to get a larger than 30cal gun (basically) and we’re trying to fight to keep our .223s in the “land of the free”

·
troy ounce gold
1,595 Posts
Hello there, I am a Filipino who is a historical enthusiast. I am writing this message to see if anyone from my country could help give me some advice. As many of you may know, the Government has set the limit of owning firearms to those whose bullet doesn't exceed 7.62mm in diameter.

Me being a historical enthusiast, I plan to get some rifles with historical significance in the near future. But as is the case, many of these rifles that predate the modern era, or are from the early modern era possess slightly larger bores. I wish to get something like the K98k, Gewehr 88, or something like that, but the problem with these types of firearms is that their bullet diameter is around 7.92mm. This is a recurring case with many other rifles whose bullet diameters are generally reaching the 8mm spectrum. This is indeed a small difference, but within the context of the law, these things are generally not permitted to be circulated.

Is there a way that I may be able to own historical rifles like these? Are there such things as appeals or special permission letters which may allow me to posses such firearms?

That'll be all, thank you very much and have a nice day.
I would suggest posting your question on the GT sub forum:

Band of Glockers

They are a group of Filipino Glock and other firearm enthusiasts from the Philippines and the US.

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
5,010 Posts
I misread your post as the Title and the text contradict each other. You need a military rifle of LESS than 7.62mm, right? Our 5.56 (.223) should be perfect.

I once had a Chilean Mauser in 7mm. It fits the specs, too.

The Italian 6.5 mm Carcano is another.

Flash

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
it may be a streach but we rebarrel k98s all the time to other calibers, get a k98 rebarreled to .308 (7.62x51)!!! it might not be numbers matching but it can LOOK identical in every other way, this might be a viable option to have the rifle you want legally, and i have 308 rifles and thats alot more horsepower than an 8mm mauser
They made a Columbian mauser in 3006.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to this forum since I notice that there are a good amount of people from my country here, also there are virtually no local gun forums in my country.

To clarify things, I am looking for a way to legally possess historical rifles whose bullets are of the 7.92mm variant. As much as possible, I want to get the originals without neither having to modify them, nor having to settle for something else similar that were contracted by other countries.

·
Registered
507 Posts

This is just one of several outfits which manufacture ways to shoot smaller cartridges in larger bore guns, both shotguns and rifles.

Adapters, sub-shell inserts, converters, they all accomplish close to the same thing. Some are "chambered barrels" which fit entirely within a larger diameter barrel. Some just "shrink" the chamber to allow the gun to shoot a weaker cartridge.

Even e-bay has them.

Read carefully, some will require a range rod or similar device to extract the fired shell, and many will not feed from a magazine and are single shot affairs which require some time to reload.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts

This is just one of several outfits which manufacture ways to shoot smaller cartridges in larger bore guns, both shotguns and rifles.

Adapters, sub-shell inserts, converters, they all accomplish close to the same thing. Some are "chambered barrels" which fit entirely within a larger diameter barrel. Some just "shrink" the chamber to allow the gun to shoot a weaker cartridge.

Even e-bay has them.

Read carefully, some will require a range rod or similar device to extract the fired shell, and many will not feed from a magazine and are single shot affairs which require some time to reload.
The gun would still be illegal in his country.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What do you expect us to do about the laws in your country?

The gun would still be illegal in his country.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
507 Posts
Gary, have a little tolerance. The guy just joined us.

I have several Philippine manufactured firearms and they're perfectly serviceable. I've been on boards with others living under Philippine law who have modern 1911 .45s, so I know they can get .45 ACP, although it's expensive and they can only have a limited amount on hand. Also, guns more than 75 years old are "antique" and probably have different restrictions. I've got 12 gauge "shell shrinkers"that shoot .45 ACP through a 12 gauge shotgun. They're even rifled!

Many adapters shoot pistol rounds or even .22 rimfire.

Help another fella shoot his guns?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I was just going by what the OP posted about nothing over 7.62 being allowed. I doubt acquiring an illegal gun then putting some type insert in it would be legal though. I really don't care because I have hard enough time understanding the ever changing ATF interpretation of our laws.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Okay, Gary, I don't wanna fight.

Just please reread the first sentence of the original poster's second ever post to Glock Talk so you know what you're suspicious of.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
If the legal limit of your country is 7.62mm then point blank, there is no way to own any caliber larger than 7.62mm legally.

A special permit might allow for it, but you will have to look into that as a possibility.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
i have 308 rifles and thats alot more horsepower than an 8mm mauser
Beg to differ, Hodgdon's reloading data shows the 8X57 Mauser more powerful than the .308.
8X57; 175gr 2837fps
.308; 175gr 2728
.308; 180gr 2683

Mauser is clearly the winner.

Edited to add:
30-06; 175gr 2882fps
180gr 2857 fps. Don

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Okay, Gary, I don't wanna fight.

Just please reread the first sentence of the original poster's second ever post to Glock Talk so you know what you're suspicious of.
I'm not looking a fight either. I went back and edited some of my post to not seem so confrontational.

Reactions: RussP

·
Super Moderator
58,314 Posts
I'm going to close this. @Paolo DG, the solution is best found there in the Philippines. Contact your legislator, your Representative.
Also, are there others who collect historical weapons? Talk with them.

RussP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.