Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. This is a Kel-Tec forum. I recently sold my P-3AT...wife did not trust it so we got rid of it (after shooting 150 rds).

Went to the range today with my PF-9. If something could have gone wrong during firing...it went wrong. Shot Winchester White Box from Wal-Mart. I have 150rds through this weapon as well. Took 100rds to shoot.

I had at least one Failure to Eject per magazine. Used three mags, all factory Kel-Tec. Cleaned and lubed the gun before I went to the range.

I had Failure to Fire three times. I had such crazy bad luck that a bullet even got lodged in the slide facing up! Hell, my grip caused the magazine to release twice.

Thought it might have been the CTL attached to the gun - not enough grip surface left on grip...so I removed the CTL, took a more aggressive stance...and shot more. Yes, a bit better - but still one FTE per magazine.

I willed myself to put 75 rds through the gun. Now I am going to clean the hell out of it, take pictures of it...and put it on sale. There is no way I will let this serve as a BUG while my Glocks perform 100% all of the time (yes, I know it is not a range gun, primary carry, or a GLOCK...but it SHOULD work). Had some of these same issues when I took the gun to the range originally - thought it just needed to be broke in.

Ok, opinions? Please don't tell me ALL of the FTE/FTF were due to limp wristing. I will give one or two...I flinched couple of times due to long trigger pull...

See ya later Kel-Tec...don't come back!

MAG RELEASE DURING FIRING

FAILURE TO FIRE

FAILURE TO EJECT

FAILURE TO WTF??!!!

·
Jacks #1 Fan
6,210 Posts
Takes a minimum 250 to break in the P3AT or the PF-9 IMHO.

I bought my PF-9 with 75 rounds fired came with 3 mags (2 with extentions) for $220. The seller was honest with me and said he had all the same issues you described and not the patience to break it in correctly. I took the gun home fluffed and buffed it. Lubed it well and proceeded to run 300 rounds of my own SD simulated 9mm 124g FMJ reloads through it. I cleaned and relubed every 50 rounds. The first 100 or so I had 3 or 4 issues. The last 200 of what I consider break in zero problems.
I run 50-100 rounds through it once a month. It's my GF's fulltime carry and my part-time. I have over 1200 through it now. I trust it for carry, but like any gun carry a spare mag and practice failure drills with it too.
Glocks were known for their out of the box dependability… until the Gen 4's came… even high end 1911's need break in periods. I would give the gun a chance.

·
NRA Member
3,238 Posts
Boxer is correct. Small and light pistols always require break-in, some need fluff and buff and all of them need proper lubrication. I understand folks expect something to function properly the day you buy it but with smaller pistols that often isn't the case.

Your pistol is likely fine. Look at polishing the feed ramp. There is a method to lubricating Kel-tec's properly as well. It will get better with a little effort and patience. If it doesn't then send it back to Kel-tec, they provide good service.

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I prefer the "out of box" trigger and feel of my Glock 23. My friend had the same issues with his Ruger LCP...thought I wanted to try that as another BUG.

I really hate the trigger on the Kel-Tecs the most. Training with Glocks and XDs really have spoiled me - pulling the trigger of a Kel-Tec is disappointing.

Sorry if I don't believe in shooting 500 rounds of 9mm (in 7rd mags!) until this little devil feels like operating correctly. I appreciate the advice...but she is going to the barn.

·
Jacks #1 Fan
6,210 Posts
Guess I prefer the "out of box" trigger and feel of my Glock 23. My friend had the same issues with his Ruger LCP...thought I wanted to try that as another BUG.

I really hate the trigger on the Kel-Tecs the most. Training with Glocks and XDs really have spoiled me - pulling the trigger of a Kel-Tec is disappointing.

Sorry if I don't believe in shooting 500 rounds of 9mm (in 7rd mags!) until this little devil feels like operating correctly. I appreciate the advice...but she is going to the barn.
No apologize needed, to each his own. I admit being a Glock-o-phile for many years that my current G19 and all the previous models I have owned in the past have spoiled me in terms of reliability.
However, these days, something can be said both pro and con for any gun platform. My SA EMP9 arguably the best shooting 9mm micro 1911 ever made also needed a ramp polish and several hundred break in rounds to gain my trust to carry, but it eventually did. 500 rounds may seem like a lot to most, for me though even a new to me Glock gets 250-500 rounds break in before I carry it. Then again at a rate I shoot of 2000 reloads a month, that is barely a single range session. :supergrin:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Handguns designed for self defense should work properly new from the box. I bought a PF9 and had many of the same issues. I traded it to a dealer for a LCR and cash advising him of the problems with the KT.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your extractor spring (flat on right side of slide) may be loose. Don't remember the size, but try with a set of US allens. That cap screw also holds the firing pin in the right place. Blue Loctite on middle of screw if it is loose. Do it anyway, but be careful the pin doesn't fly out on removal. KTOG forum guys can help you over there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well sounds like you had the same issues I had with the PF-9. The 1st 50 rds had no issues, then the next 150, I had 10 FTE and 5 FTF. Also I could never get the mags to release properly or to lock in place.

I thought that the ammo issues might have been some bad ammo, so I tried some other ammo, which others had no problems, and I still had issues.

All together I had shot total of 1650 rds thru the PF-9. Had it fluff and buffed. Made no difference. It was to by my new CCW or BUG gun. But If it won't fire properly, or mags jam, etc., there is no way I can take the chance with my life to depend on it.

I still have it, but I probably will turn it in to LE and have it destroyed. I don't want to be responsible by passing it on to some one else and they , god forbid, have something happen to them as the result of the gun problems.

With that being said, this is only my experience with it, I do know others swear by it and have had no issues. Thats ok. I think we all will find no matter what guns we have, some will love them and others will hate them :)

·
Jacks #1 Fan
6,210 Posts
Well sounds like you had the same issues I had with the PF-9. The 1st 50 rds had no issues, then the next 150, I had 10 FTE and 5 FTF. Also I could never get the mags to release properly or to lock in place.

I thought that the ammo issues might have been some bad ammo, so I tried some other ammo, which others had no problems, and I still had issues.

All together I had shot total of 1650 rds thru the PF-9. Had it fluff and buffed. Made no difference. It was to by my new CCW or BUG gun. But If it won't fire properly, or mags jam, etc., there is no way I can take the chance with my life to depend on it.

I still have it, but I probably will turn it in to LE and have it destroyed. I don't want to be responsible by passing it on to some one else and they , god forbid, have something happen to them as the result of the gun problems.

With that being said, this is only my experience with it, I do know others swear by it and have had no issues. Thats ok. I think we all will find no matter what guns we have, some will love them and others will hate them :)

Before destroying that PF-9, if you don't have any faith in it. I would send it back to KelTec and have them give it the once over. It's free other than shipping it back to them which I sent my P3AT UPS ground with tracking foe $12.
That be said no gun is absolutely perfect, even a Glock hence the reason you practice or should practice failure drills.

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took advice from guys on KTOG and switched ammo to Federal and Remington (was using WWB). Also cleaned and lubed the gun. Used CLP to clean and Gun Butter to lube.

Went to the range today and shot 50rds of Federal and 35rds of Remington - much better than Winchester White Box. The gun had 5 FTF and 1 FTE (rather than dozens last time). When I looked at the primers on the FTF, they had the dimple right in the middle from the firing pin - reloaded all 5 bullets and they fired.

I started with the PF9 today (rather than ending my range session with it!) so I was well rested, alert, and used proper holds on the weapon. I buffed the feed ramp a bit per KTOG advice.

At this point, I am going to send it back to Kel-Tec and have them look it over. Not the worst story in the world...but I am FAR from an armorer and would like a 2nd set of eyes on the gun. I want to want this gun...but it is hard.

Great advice...thank you.

·
OBEY ME!
1,902 Posts
I have had no such issues with my PF-9. I bought it new a year after they were introduced. It has performed almost flawlessly since day one, although the ejector did break early on and KT sent me a new one. I was a little leery of carrying it after that but it won my confidence back. It's been my edc now for 2 years. I have Glocks, etc. but it is just so nice to carry and accurate enough. The trigger is no worse than a revolver, its just a typical long DA pull. You can get used to it

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Contacted Kel-Tec today. Great, positive customer service. I boxed it and shipped via UPS 10 minutes ago...it is now on the way to their company HQ in Florida for ???? (Hope repair or replacement). The waiting begins...

·
Socially Inept
5,448 Posts
Contacted Kel-Tec today. Great, positive customer service. I boxed it and shipped via UPS 10 minutes ago...it is now on the way to their company HQ in Florida for ???? (Hope repair or replacement). The waiting begins...
You my friend, have alot of patience. I would have traded that pistol on the 28th of last month.

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@NDCent...thanks. I want the gun to work. Sometimes you get a lemon. Hope this is the issue and I get back a working gun. Again, will shoot the hell out of it once returned, it if doesn't satisfy me then I will go shopping again. Hell, it's a $250 gun - not a Kimber.

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Got my PF-9 back from Kel-Tec today. They got it 01MAR and it left Kel-Tec HQ yesterday - got it today. Here is what they did:

-Replaced mag catch
-Replaced slide and barrel
-Polished feed ramp
-Replaced internal parts
-Test fired

2-week turn-around and an almost complete re-construct of my weapon. Seems odd that a gun bought in the Summer of 2009 and fired only 200-300rds would need some measures. HOWEVER, comma, I will shoot her this weekend and hopefully she becomes a friend...not a mistake. Of course, she is a carry gun - not a range queen so I don't expect much.

More to come...

·
Meat on a Steek
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shot the PF9 this weekend - perfect. In fact, shot 2 boxes of Remington ball and the gun went bang 100/100 times. Sometimes a factory can produce a lemon out of the thousands of guns produced each month...guess I had one.

Going to shoot a few hundred more rounds of some ball and HD/SD ammo before I start carrying it. I really appreciate the compactness and power of the gun. Along with actual sights and my CTL on the front - I think my Kel-Tec and I will make a good team.

·
The eBay Guy
21,221 Posts
Shot the PF9 this weekend - perfect. In fact, shot 2 boxes of Remington ball and the gun went bang 100/100 times. Sometimes a factory can produce a lemon out of the thousands of guns produced each month...guess I had one.

Going to shoot a few hundred more rounds of some ball and HD/SD ammo before I start carrying it. I really appreciate the compactness and power of the gun. Along with actual sights and my CTL on the front - I think my Kel-Tec and I will make a good team.
Glad she (finally) worked out for you!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Gunsmith out in Vegas does Kel Tec buff & fluffs for only $25. You only mail him the top of the gun. He does not want the frame. [ie, he will not accept complete guns]

He smooths and polishes everything out. Heck it is worth the money just so you don't have to waste ammo on breaking in.

I suggest only using brass ammo and not using 147 grain ammo in this small a pistol. The 147's seem to jam more in compact sizes.

I have the P-11 and love it. My friend has the PF9 and has not had any issues with it at all. He really loves his and he has many other hand guns.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Guarantee it was the feed ramp polishing that did it...I did my P32 and never had a problem with it:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts