close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PF-9 anyone esle out there with one?

Discussion in 'Kel-Tec Talk' started by HOUSTON, Feb 15, 2010.

1. HOUSTON

HOUSTON OUTSIDE THE BOX

I have owned a PF-9 for about a year now. Tested with various ammo. To date I am getting the best groups at 15 yards with 115gr Golg dots.(2-6inches), the 124 and 147gr bullets from several makers appear to tumble, groups are still resepctable at 10-15 yards. (5-8 inches)

Anyone experincing the same results that I have found ?

2. wired

wired

yes, the tumbling sounds familiar.
    Just picked mine up last week and in the process of breaking it in.
    it has needed some tweaking for light strikes, just reamed out the fp opening, some gunk was rubbing the fp.
    Some handloads were tumbling, 3.4 gr Clays/125 fmj. none of my 9mms like it. Another load, 4.2 titegroup/125 Hp shoots great. Very nice groups for a little gun....3"@15 yds
    carry is Federal Nyclad 125 std load
    good pistol for the $$$, I'd buy it again

3. TedG954

TedG954

I have a PF9 and it goes everywhere I do. I love my Glocks, but in South Florida, CCW is tough with anything bigger than the PF9. Mine functions 100% and combat-distance accuracy is good. While mine hasn't missed a beat with any ammo I've fed it, my brother-in-law's PF9 won't function with short nose bullets. When he uses longer bullets (JHP or FMJ) he's 100%.

My carry ammo is Corbon Pow-R-Ball.

Use the ammo that works best for you.

4. GlockPreacher

GlockPreacher

Just purchased one and so far only shot Federal 115gr. My shots seem to be all over the place, but I am hitting the target at 5 to 10 yrds. Some have hit near dead center, but for the most part are outside the bullseye. I'm hoping it's because it's a new gun to me... This is my primary carry piece and I will be trying some different ammo, especially JHP and +P

5. wired

wired

its a different shooting gun entirely from Glock and Kahr.

More difficult to master. Just practice.

Mine is very accurate and with the Wolff 19 lb springs, its now tuned up perfect.

6. pmcsurf1

pmcsurf1

I love mine but the skinny trigger is down right painful when shooting more than just a few rounds. Anyone know of a wider trigger replacement?

7. wired

wired

The triggers are very sharp tipped and curved up.
    This caused a very uncomfortable pull, so I removed the frame and heated the trigger to very slightly straighten it.
    Great improvement
    I used a small flame to heat the trigger and the side of a hammer to match the triggers curve to push it.

8. jlavely

jlavely

I took a piece of 600 grit sand paper and smoothed out the manufacturing edges that you find on the trigger and frame and it made it much smoother.

9. KCTanfoglio

KCTanfoglio

Do you think you could use the same process to bulge out the trigger guard a little? I get bit on both sides of my trigger finger.

Can you heat polymer to form it a little? Industrial heat gun you can buy at Home Depot? Looks like a hair dryer, only a lot more heat.

10. wired

wired

I have one of those heat guns, but I just used an open flame from a bernz o matic. I felt it was more precise. I worked very high up from the flame to very gently heat the part. A candle should work fine.
    I don't know if the reforming has affected the strength, but it shoots fine. Shouldn't be an issue with the guard

11. 98_1LE

98_1LE

I have a PF9 and a lot of respect for it. I haven't done much ammo testing of hollowpoints; decided on HST standard pressure before I bought it and that is the only HP fed to the gun so far.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

I have been considering the PF9 but if it can't stabilize bullets.. that's a bit of an issue. I don't care how it groups if the bullets aren't even hitting head-first.

13. wired

wired

I haven't had any tumbling today, and I think it was just the flimsy target I shot at that made me think it was tumbling before

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  14. Chevy327

Chevy327

I have a PF-9. It's reliable and accurate. I think I would benefit by adding a Hogue Hand-all grip, but, of course it will add girth.

At first it would fire 115 grain bullets totally reliably, but, as I fired increasingly heavy bullets, I experienced an increasing number of malfuctions. I did the dremel tool to the bottom of the follower and added Kahr PM6 magazine springs. Now it will shoot anything I put through it. It seems that it was weak magazine springs at the root of the problem. I use the Speer Gold Dot 147 grain HP's. I've not had a single malfunction after doing the magazine treatment, and I leave the mags loaded all the time.

I did it like this:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1223160576/0

The recoil is snappy, but 8 rounds of 9mm in a totally reliable 17.5 ounce package is pretty impressive.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  15. ajgranda

ajgranda

Seems like a bargain for the price. Thinking of one myself for deep concealment when working out, beach, hiking etc. I would never try to complete a LEO qualification course with one though. Something I was able to do with my G26.

16. wired

wired

Thats a good mod, chevy. Did it to mine and cured the FTFs.
    wish KT would get on it, now I have to order spring$$ from Kahr and followers from KT.

17. swannick

swannick

I used to have a PF9...but sold it....notice that the word comfortable does not show up in any of the comments ahead of me.....was the most uncomfortable gun to shoot. Had no problems while shooting it...ftf or fte. But I just hated it.

18. wired

wired

Ok, 2 new followers and 2 new PM9 springs from Kahr cost $52.
    For that much $$,I should have bought the kahr.

19. patman

patman Large member

I'm thinking about one.KT's kind of scare me though.The only one I've ever had was a Sub2000 that didn't work at all.I've been looking for a nice slim single stacker to carry for a long time.

20. Chevy327

Chevy327

I bought 3 PM6 magazine springs from Wolfe Gunsprings for $17. I called Kel tec, and they sent me four magazine followers for free. They refused to charge me...not even the shipping. You don't really need extra followers anyway, unless one gets messed up during the dremel work.

I bought a couple of dremel attachments. They were inexpensive. They may have cost $20 total.