close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Petrol hits $9 gal. in England

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by alexanderg23, Apr 9, 2010.

1. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Also I believe a UK gallion is less than a US one.

3. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

It's sold by the litre in other European countries.

4. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

It's been north of $8/gallon for several years.
    technically, it's been right around 1 pound per liter...which (given the weak dollar) translated out to $8/gallon.
    VAT plays a large part of it.
    Cars being taxed based on engine displacement is another British gem of an idea.
    Given the state of British taxation, no wonder they took away their guns early on.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

That's why so many people over there

-walk
    -ride bicycles
    -ride mopeds
    -drive S****ty little 3-cylinder 3-wheeled cars a la Mr. Bean.

In all of the times I've gone to England- I have family over there- I think that I only once saw a car that used any moderate amount of fuel- a Porsche. Just about every car you see there are anemic little 4-bangers, or even the three-bangers like mentioned above. V8 pickups? Ford F150, Chevy Silverado? Forget it.

And Lockpicker, one Imperial gallon = 1.201 US gallon.

6. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

Well their government taxes the heck out of it too. Plus most people walk/bike/etc. and travel less distances in vehicles than Americans.

7. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I was walking down a road in Derby, UK when I noticed everyone else gawking at something coming up the road behind me.
    I turned around and there was a big, 70's Trans Am. It was just like the Smokey and the Bandit car...black, T-tops, screaming chicken on the hood...and a loud, low rumble. I can't imagine what that guy pays in taxes and fuel.

From the expression on the bystanders' faces, you would have thought this guy had a nuclear bomb strapped to his roof. Sheer awe, a bit of terror, and maybe just a bit of sadness that they'll never see anything like that again.

8. devildog2067

devildog2067

Depends on where you go. I have a good friend (my student last year) who lives near Parson's Green. All of the cars on her street were SUV's, and they came and picked me up from the tube stop in a Land Rover.

There's lots of money in London. Her dad pays that congestion fee every day when he drives to work.

9. loki993

loki993

The UK has an extremely high tax on their gas and that's why the prices are so high.

from the wiki page, only place that I could find that explained it:

From 2007-10-01 the main road fuel (petrol and diesel) duty rate in the UK was GB£0.5035 per litre (GB£2.2890/imperial gal or GB£1.9059/US gal). The rate for biodiesel and bioethanol was £0.3035/L (GB£1.3797/imperial gal or GB£1.1489/US gal).[3] Value Added Tax (VAT), 15% from 2008-12-01 to 2009-12-31, is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty. At a pump price of 90.0p/litre (typical for petrol in mid December 2008), this would put the combined tax at 62.09p/litre, or approximately USD$3.49 per US gallon. Thus without tax, the retail price would be 27.91p per litre, making a combined tax rate of 222%.

The latest increase – to GB£0.5619 per litre on unleaded petrol – came into force on 2009-09-01 and is planned to increase "on 1 April from 2010 to 2013 by 1 ppl above indexation in each year."[4]

10. loki993

loki993

I also believe you have to pay 50 quid to drive into London at certain times.

11. raven11

raven11

yes the "congestion" charge

Mr. Brown charges you 50 quid to sit in his traffic jam :rofl:

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Actually I would think the price of the GAS would be about the same as it is in the USA -

The difference in the cost to the consumer is mostly taxes.

Just like the cost of a gallon of gas at the pump is different between states.

Go to a gas station Canada that is just a few miles from the USA - Canada border if you want to see the impact of taxes.

13. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

No, it's just the other way around. There are approximately five US quarts to the Imperial gallon.

(It took me years to figure out what the difference was. It turns out the pint is where the difference comes in. A US pint is 16 ounces; an Imperial pint is 20.)

14. BritStudent

BritStudent

The average price for a litre (yes, it's sold by the litre here) has hit £1.20, which is $1.84 at current rates. Multiplied by 3.78 to get the price per US gallon, that's $6.94. That's average, so yes, some places you'll be paying $9, other places you'll be paying $3.

So, $6.94 here in the UK, vs $2.82 average in the US. We pay almost 2.5x the price.

Now, 63.25% of the price we pay for petrol (that'd be gas to you!) is tax. 48.35% is our fuel duty (duty being a kinder way of saying 'tax') and 14.9% goes on our VAT (Value Added Tax, which I believe Obama wants to introduce for y'all to enjoy state-side).

If petrol was tax-free, incentive effects aside, we'd be paying $2.55. However, average US fuel tax (federal and state) is $0.45, so if you equalize the tax situation we'd be paying $3 a gallon, or 18 cents more than you guys.

Of course, this is much of the reason why the best selling car last year looked like this and does 46 mpg.

15. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

One reason their gas is taxed so high is to pay for their version of Obama care. Let's buy more foreign goods and increase the number of social programs in this country until we have $10 a gallon gas.

16. Drilled

Drilled

Just wait till these idiot liberals get there way on cap and trade! There is going to be a reckoning in this country like there has never been before.

Don't like what is happening...get out and vote...do something!

17. Z71bill

Z71bill

If you listen closely to the liberals they do not talk about raising taxes on anyone except the rich - they talk about increasing revenue - which sounds so much better. :upeyes:

18. Jim B in CO

Jim B in CO

Sounds like that "free" health care isn't so free, after all. Before any of us Americans get too smug, remember we're next in line...

19. loki993

loki993

Yeah Vat is coming here, at least they're going to try it. Who knows what else. I know when gas hit 4 a gallon a while back it was bad for a lot of people. I'm not sure the libs care about that though. They probably see it as killing 2 birds with one stone as they don't think we should be driving the cars and trucks we drive now anyway. They also think we drive then too much.

20. DennisP

DennisP

I have to agree with Loki, the libs don't care that Americans have to pay so much for gas because they think SUVs are evil just like those who drive them. The liberals always talk about the little guy and that is who they are looking out for but it isn't true. They want the person who doesn't work to feel better about themselves and the working guy to stop being a capatalistic jerk. Unfortunately the little guy doesn't consider himselve rich, he or she just wants to get by to the next pay check.

America has really gotten off course and our forfathers at this point would not even recognize us.

Sad, sad, sad,

Dennis P.