close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Petitioning Congress "Veteran Gun Laws"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock.23, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Glock.23

Glock.23

Hello all, i know it may seem a tad bit juvenile to some of you old school guys who are advid "rule obeyers" but i have a idea to petition congress to extend special rights to those brothers/sister in arms whom have or still are serving the country. Included in my petition would like for congress to recognize that "Us" veterans are more suceptible to random acts of terror and or abuse especially when traveling in uniform. And therefore should be permitted a type of U.S.A full privilidge form of a CCW permit after passing some sort of pshyc/ shooting test of course or even a paid course of say $350 for like a 5yr special license program so us who prefer to drive for our PCS's dont have to deal with the local state nonsense. Especially in light of FT. Hood or even the gate crash at LUKE AFB..

Please spare me the b.s. i posted this only to get a feel of how many ppl felt that if your good enough to fight terrorist world wide but cant carry a loaded firearm throughout most of the East Coast and some other pockets of the country without going thru some mondane 60 day waiting progress like getting a security clearance wasnt deep enough of a investigation is absurd.. WTF...

Thanks For Your Time.. Just my .02 cents

2. SanityAssassin

SanityAssassin

Sounds like a good idea for veterans themselves, and a good way to promote ccw in general.

3. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Please don't take this the wrong way, I respect veterans for the service they've given. But what makes them special? Yes they risked their lives for the 2nd Amendment, but they risked it knowing they were doing so to protect the rights of many who did not do the same. They do not have more of right to bear arms, or practice religion, or free speech, or assembly or any other than I do.

We need less gun laws which recognize special classes of people, not more. You either have a right, or you don't. Citizen or subject. There's no middle ground anymore.

4. Glock.23

Glock.23

like believe it or not some of us in the "Chairforce" love our guns and imagine the money this would generate for the economy to allow Mil-Citizens/ Spouses to feed money into these "courses" i think its about 15million ppl in the military/ federal work force roughly so at 1/3 (since not everyone loves firearms) of that times 350 thats about 5.2 billion dollars..

5. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

OK, you still didn't answer my question: practical reasons aside, why are your rights more important than mine?

I'm not opposed to the idea in practice, just in principal. Either a right belongs to all of us, or its meaningless.

6. Glock.23

Glock.23

Oh idk the 10yr background check they did on some of us, the emmaculate credit that quite a few of us must have... The fact that young men 18yrs old are permitted to take lives abroad but cant have a handgun in the states since their underage.. There are some very substanial differences between a mil-citizen and a civilian in MOST cases.. And its far more than the 2nd amendment we're fighting for just F.Y.I. And we have less rights than most citizens we dont get pick and choose which state we reside in... it sorta just happens that way

7. devildog2067

devildog2067

Did the Chair Force forget to teach you how to spell? Hell I was a Marine, some of us can barely tie our shoes, and I can put together more cogent sentences than you.

Headache-inducing literary quality aside, your idea is a terrible one. First, you start from an assumption that is, as far as I know, unproven:

In order for Congress to recognize that, first you have to prove that it's true. I am a veteran, I have travelled in uniform (although I do not any longer) and I have never been discriminated against for my service. To the best of my knowledge the number of servicemembers lost in "random acts of terror" ON US SOIL is small compared to the numbers of non-servicemembers who have died--9/11 alone was 3,000 people, remember.

Secondly, you propose to create a special class of armed people who are granted that right by the government. As another poster pointed out I think that's a bad idea. In fact, I was against HR 218 or whatever bill it was that allows cops to carry nationwide. I firmly believe that cops should have to follow the gun laws of whatever place they reside--if they had to feel the chafing idiocy of those laws, maybe they'd be less onerous.

Finally, as a former service member I can confidently state that I would not want many of the Marines I knew when I was in the infantry carrying firearms in civilian life. Just being a service member doesn't automatically confer the ability to make good decisions, or act responsibly.

8. Glock.23

Glock.23

Hence why i suggested a course of some kind and psyc eval, except it would be federally regulated as to keep loonies from having the right, and as a former marine you know d@mn well a cop doesnt move nearly as much as a service member..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  9. devildog2067

devildog2067

Your premise is that by selecting veterans you've ALREADY weeded out loonies, or so I understoon.

Yes, that's true. So what?

Essentially, it seems like what you are arguing is that service members should be special and get special rights. As a veteran I think that's a terrible idea. My service was what it was, I don't think I deserve anything except the paychecks I got. It's nice to get out of a ticket once in a while, but that's about it. I don't expect a veteran's discount, I don't expect to get bumped to first class for free, and I definitely don't expect to get "expanded" 2A rights. Those rights are for everyone, and veterans should be treated just like anyone else.

10. WarCry

WarCry

What makes a RETIRED police officer different than the average Joe on the street? Under federal law (LEOSA), they can carry concealed pretty much anywhere.

I think a lot of the difference, as was noted above, is background checks, etc, and training. Now, before I get jumped on about police and military training standards, I didn't make the rules, but the federal government obviously has faith that the police - even those trained 30, 40, or more years ago - are trained enough that, with regular quals, are eligible to carry concealed.

Yes, veterans are afforded special privileges, including hiring-preference standards.

I'm not saying everyone should be required to serve, but if you do step up to the plate, then, yes, there are privileges that come with it. Don't like it? Sorry for ya....

11. Glock.23

Glock.23

As i said i'm moreso testing the waters with my "idea" of a petition of course there would need to be standards in place and all that jazz, but you can not dismiss the fact that mil folks are displaced and put in locations where their safety is in jeopardy and if we had some type of provision maybe we could stretch our legs a little, i think its utter bs to give force protection briefing but in some "dangerous" areas like CA or MD where bases/forts/ports etc.. are in less than ideal locations for violence im not provided the right to protect myself in a sensible manner, who can i protect with my gun in the glove box with the mag in the trunk?

12. Glock.23

Glock.23

let me correct myself before someone makes a big deal out of it, im getting a "feel" is what i actually said

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

You know what else was utter BS about being in the Marines?

Spending more time doing field day than field training
    Carrying ****birds' gear on humps
    People much dumber than you telling you what to do
    Missing your promotion because the 0151 forgot to stamp your SRB in the right place
    Missing your promotion because your MOS is frozen
    When the docs lose your shot card and you have to get immunized all over again
    Having to compete for one of the 2 jump school slots allotted to the battalion, because the Army makes sure anyone in the Army who wants one--including ROTC cadets--gets one before any of the jarheads do. I only pinned on jump wings because I took an Army ROTC slot in college.

I could go on, and I'm sure other probably will.

The military is all about BS. You better learn to like it.

14. Glock.23

Glock.23

My military doesn't regulate all the laws i abide by, just the UCMJ and the AFI's that govern my behavior while i wear this uniform. I didn't say i wanted to write a letter to Robert Gates to alter the UCMJ now did I... and since you like to nit pick "I could go on, and I'm sure other probably will." << is this even a complete sentence? I think not...

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

Right. Once you take off the uniform, you have to follow the same laws as anyone else.

It's a typographical error, it should read "others." I would have thought that was clear from the context. At any rate, it reads like a complete sentence to me, but I'm a physicist not an English major. Maybe I'm wrong.

16. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

17. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I have always, especially when I was wearing the uniform, thought that since we are already trained in the use of firearms, we should be carrying them. Just like in Israel. But for some jacked up moronic reason we weren't and still aren't.

So to answer your question as a disabled veteran, hell yes I would sign your petition!

18. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

We didn't just voluntarily sacrifice time with our family and friend for the 2nd Amendment. We did it for the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers. We did it because we believe in the Republic. None of us ask for special treatment. We are citizens that take our duty to this nation seriously. Enough so that we are for those that are still wearing the uniform, and were for those that are not wearing it anymore, willing to LEAVE our nation to defend what we believe in.

Sure police and firemen and even paramedics do a great service. And I will not say anymore than that. But I am a veteran, rated at 50% by the VA. I swore an oath, one that I keep to this day, to support and defend the Constitution... the entire document, not just the 2nd Amendment against all enemies both foreign and domestic.

I have buried friends... 19, 20 year old boys when I was still a young man myself. I have seen and done things that no man should ever have to. I don't talk about it much, not out of shame but our of respect. While I ask for no privilege as a veteran, I appreciate what I am given by the men and women of this nation.

I am no longer willing to leave this nation as I will defend her from her shores. That is my place as a veteran. But if the new troops need my gun to watch their back, then yes I will defend them and what I believe in. Sorry but I am feeling a bit nostalgic tonight and extremely rebellious. I just finished watching V for Vendetta and talking to an old battle mate...

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

To go the route of Starship Troopers... I paid for my rights with service to the Constitution. So on that note I would say my ability to exercise my rights is more important than those that didn't, the exceptions being the ones that legitimately couldn't due to physical deterrents.

That's going the Starship Troopers route of thinking. BUT, I do agree that our enumerated rights are equally ours. The one thing I would say that make it more ours to exercise would be our training.

20. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Although I am a veteran and I like the idea, I would support ccw for ALL citizens.