PETA shifts focus from marine mammals to 'trusting' geese

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by 4Rules, Aug 2, 2020.

1. 4Rules

4Rules

John DiLeonardo, who is a member of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and Long Island Orchestrating for Nature (LION), told WPIX-TV that he rescued a Canada goose after spotting it on Friday at Silver Lake Park in Baldwin with an explosive device duct taped to its chest. "I'm sure she was very trusting before this cruel person strapped this firecracker to her," DiLeonardo said. According to a post on its Facebook page, LION said the firecracker appeared to have been lit but was soaked in water. DiLeonardo speculates that when the perpetrator lit the fuse, it scared the goose, causing it to run into the water. LION and PETA are offering a reward of up to US$5,000 to anyone with information that could lead to an arrest.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/canada-goose-found-with-explosive-duct-taped-to-its-body-1.5048838

2. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Sick person. Hope they find out who did it.

Not against hunting, but it should be a clean kill and one should eat it. Taping a firecracker to an animal is just plain cruel.

ExecutiveWill, Road Dog, p.d. and 7 others like this.

3. reloader550

reloader550

I'M A CARD CARRYING LIFETIME MEMBER OF P.E.T.A

P EOPLE
    E ATING
    T ASTY
    A NIMALS

HONESTLY THOUGH I HATE PEOPLE WHO MISTREAT AND ABUSE ANIMALS. I WOULD STRAP THAT EXPLOSIVE DEVICE TO THE INDIVIDUALS PRIVAT PARTS AND WATCH THE SHOW.

4. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Million bucks on the guy who said he found it being the guy who put it there in the first place.

Agonizer, Bren, 'Ol Grandad and 11 others like this.
  6. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I think NYS regs require at least a bottle rocket for Canada Geese and of course taking them on the ground is forbidden.

7. p.d.

p.d.

Sure sounds odd. In all my years of waterfowl hunting I've never run across a trusting goose.

Agonizer, faceplant, treg and 5 others like this.
  8. thewitt

thewitt

A number of years ago we found the signs of a plucked and gutted goose by the maintenance shack of a golf course, and the remnants of a small fire (yes we were looking for an errant ball...). I asked at the pro shop later and they admitted that a homeless guy had caught one of the geese that had moved into the golf course and had himself an early Thanksgiving dinner.

Trusting Goose indeed.

billy_56081 likes this.
  9. jr24

jr24

Never trust a goose, devious, nasty creatures.

Protected, city, waterfowl can be quite tame and trusting. Plenty in the parks and waterfront in Madison when I lived there, many didn't bother flying south for the winter even. Running on park trails I could have strangled dozens without even leaving the path.

Aggressive too. I remember a mallard jumping on the table at the Union and stealing my burger once.

billy_56081 and p.d. like this.
  10. p.d.

p.d.

Thanks for the perspective. I live in the tall and uncut and you can't walk up to one out here.

jr24 and treg like this.
  11. thewitt

thewitt

Geese on the golf course won't even move out of your way. They are at "home" and unless the course has a good dog to run them off, they will just **** all over everything year round. I've seen aggressive Canadian Geese attack a golfer...

jr24 likes this.
  12. p.d.

p.d.

If I'm on the jury the goose walks! :animlol: Just Kidding.

13. jr24

jr24

My grandma had geese in her pond once. The female died one winter and the male got real aggressive after that, chasing the dog and even occasionally us grandkids if we got too close.

One day he even attacked the car tire as grandma was pulling in and that was the last straw.

We had him for dinner that night, true to form he was pretty tough.

BigBluefish and p.d. like this.
  14. p.d.

p.d.

:animlol::animlol::animlol:

15. jr24

jr24

The more amusing part of the tale was she asked my uncle to shoot it, so my granddad got out the .22 and a box of shells. My uncle grabbed the rifle and a single bullet and said something like "I'll only need one."

Off he goes outside and, bang. Then a minute or two later he comes back in and sheepishly asks for another bullet.

p.d. likes this.
  16. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

:rofl:

Anywho ...

This Snowflake's next intervention will likely be to save the 'rare' and 'endangered' tree iguanas of south Florida. :upeyes:

IMG_0267.PNG

IMG_0268.PNG

:laughabove: Residents there say iguanas actually make a pretty tasty dish when barbecued over the grill - sorta like chicken.

As Rachel Ray says, ... 'Yummo!'

:eat: :eat: :eat:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    mike from st pe likes this.
  17. thewitt

thewitt

They do, actually...

agtman likes this.
  18. 4Rules

4Rules

I recall accounts of some American soldiers who'd served in Vietnam saying that, while on long-range patrols (in Vietnam), they'd killed iguana to supplement their rations. They, too, said that it was good, and that it had tasted like chicken.

19. amd65

amd65

Geese are out of control here. Too much protection for too long, and hunting them is expensive, comparatively.
    I got attacked by one that was protecting a nest about 50yds from where I walking (next to a factory I was visiting for work).
    I stumbled trying keep from having it hit me from behind, and hit my head on the sidewalk. Got a big bruise and bump (“goose egg”).
    I see a big flock walking around, I wish I could get out the semiauto 12ga and load it up with 3” BB loads.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

[​IMG]

agtman likes this.