Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :wavey: :
I just switched our cats from Felinade cat food (cats stopped eating it..not sure if it got stale or ????...and were losing weight FAST) to Pet Promise dry cat food.
Anybody else use it or know anybody that does???
I like what the ingredients list says....lots of natural stuff and no animal byproducts, no rendered meat or chicken meals, no factory farm meat or chicken, no antibiotic-fed protein sources, no added growth hormones and no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.

Opinions please.

NOTE: We do not live near a major city (2 hrs away) so some of the more "natural...organic, etc foods would cost a fortune to get now that gas is so expensive.
Thanks....Eagle

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's a good food, but not fabulous. Not a fan of straight chicken as the main ingredient (contrary to popular belief, chicken MEAL is better because it's the chicken weighed without the water weight). I also really dislike seeing any kind of corn, especially as the 3rd ingredient.

For the price you're paying for it, you can likely do better. What stores are available and convenient to you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We normally stop in St Joseph, MO which is about 1 hour from us.
We have Petco & SAMS...and, of course, Wal-Mart.
As I said in the original posting, I have been feeding them Felinade. They are not SUPER happy with it...kinda picking at it for the last 6 months.
I want to get them on something healthy....that they will eat.
Thanks for the help.
Eagle

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sorry, it's been a super busy weekend (week in general!).

I did some nosing around, with you in mind, and here are a couple suggestions. All available at petco since that's where you're going. It looked to me like pet promise came in the 6 lb (or so) bag for $13.99 - I didn't see a larger bag. If you are willing to buy bigger bags, you can get a much higher quality food for the same price. Actually I think some were a couple bucks cheaper.

Look for the following brands:
1) Solid Gold - Katz n Flocken or Indigo Moon; both are great and the same price at I believe $26.99 for 15 lbs.

2) Natural Balance - standard kitten/cat pink bag. It's chicken based. There is also a duck and green pea formula. Again, if you buy the bigger bag, you'll save $$ from buying smaller bags of pet promise.

3) If you can (or wish to) spend a few bucks more, take a peak at a few of the varieties of Wellness. It's $$$$ but very very good. A few of their bigger bags are priced at $29.99, though most are over $30.

4) Blue Buffalo (I don't know if all stores carry it - the ones here only offer it in cat food, not dog) Also, as above, you've gotta buy the biggest bag. Sorry, my memory ran out after Wellness and I can't remember the price of this one.

That's what you'll find at petco for this price range and great quality food.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Platz:
Thank you very much for the information. It gives me something to look at when I get back there this week.
We have 5 kitties, they are our Kids...and I want to get them the VERY best that I can afford.
Again, thank you very much.
Eagle

·
Registered
977 Posts
No problem. :)

Something else I thought of after the fact was wondering if you might have a pet supplies plus around you. It may be worth checking around and looking into a brand called Eagle Pack. It's VERY reasonably priced (at least the dog food is - I can't speak for cat), but bare in mind that it's produced (or manufactured at least) here in Indiana, so there is a slight chance our prices might be better. Maybe.

They also always have coupons on their website, and every dollar counts! All you do is print it off and present it in the store. It's been awhile since I've fed this food, and I see now that they no longer offer the $2 off coupon for dog food (in case others are reading this and wondering) due to the rising costs of ingredients. Food everywhere has gone up. Understandably, but ouch on the wallet when you're feeding a lot of mouths. What're you gonna do though?

Anyway, here's their website. It's worth a look as it's a pretty darn good food for the price. They have a store locator on there as well.
http://www.eaglepack.com/

Coupon page:
http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/EP_Coupons__programs.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just picked up a bag of the Solid Gold - Indigo Moon.
They seem to like it pretty well and I like the list of ingredients.
We also picked up some of the canned food.
Again, thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts