close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Perspective on Lance Armstrong.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

The media needs some perspective on Lance. There are headlines proclaiming that he 'doped'.

If he did, it wasn't an illegal drug or narcotic. it was a blood cell count enhancer for gods sake. If he did use it. it was against some rules, not against the law.

If he could be assured that no one else he was competing against did the same, then don't use it. Besides, I have no idea how he recovered from his cancer.

The media is doing his best to crucify him. They nedd perspective.

2. glocked1

glocked1

All the top cycling pros dope. Lance is still a cycling machine, an average joe can't blood dope and then magically be at a level of a Lance Armstrong. I agree with you on the media coverage.

3. frizz

frizz

What's the perspective? He broke the rules, so he should be stripped of his wins when he was breaking the rules.

4. frizz

frizz

They do? How are they getting away with it?

Regardless, cheating does not justify cheating.

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Why did he step down from his organization?

If I was innocent, there would not be a single voodoo doll of my accusers left in circulation.

6. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

The same way he did at the time. They are better at hiding it than the testers are at catching it.

Now - no one cares because they did not win.

7. Harper

Harper

No, they should change the rules and defund the USADA. That money would be better spent on patients with kidney disease and cancer who are prescribed erythropoietin.

8. Brucev

Brucev

No impressed with the whining of those who so loudly complain about LA. Why? Simply do not consider them credible. No reasonable person can have respect for such people.

9. ray9898

ray9898

Absolutely. No matter how much people want to support him he cheated. This is not one or two guys claiming he did, it is about 15 team mates with intimate knowledge of what went on who admitting cheating them self.

10. Rancher

Rancher

Nobody in this country except for a very few care about cycling, think we can all agree on that?

My question is in such an obsure sport to most, people really don't get the "team" aspect of the sport so why does he stay in the headlines?

We have football, baseball, basketball and any other sport you can think of have players test positive and they get maybe a days headline and are gone.

If Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, John Elway or any of the other major stars out there be found to have doped in some fashion should they and their team have all their records erased? McGuire got an asterisk for Gods sake.

I'm a Lance fan. Have been since he was a teenage triathlon phenom. I will continue to be.

Rancher

11. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Synthetic EPO might be a drug.

However, the things I've heard about it is that Lance used blood drawn from him and reinserted his concentrated red blood cells during a race. That does NOT amount to a drug in my book.

I'll explain. If concentrated red blood cell density is an unfair advantage, then ban Kenyans from the Boston Marathon. Simply training at high altitude year-round and then flying to Boston with just enough time to adjust the circadian rhythm of the body to run that marathon gives Kenyans a measurably higher density of red blood cells than all their low-altitude competitors.

But, we don't ban Kenyans. As far as I understand it, Lance only mimicked the Kenyans. That is something that I think should be legal. It doesn't present to him a health hazard as long as his needles are clean. It doesn't present to him any long-term health risk, as for instance steroids do for athletes and body sculptors.

So, I don't revile Lance. He won a series of hyper-competitive races by being hyper competitive. As far as I know of it, he didn't use synthetic drugs. He didn't even use natural drugs like cocaine, as far as I know. Still, I am not and never have been a "racing enthusiast". If some dude name Gaston Surrender had won 7 consecutive Hotter Than Hell 100's in Wichita Falls and had only been pursued by doping agencies for doing the same stuff Lance might have done, I'd respect the hyper-competitive Frenchman winning the Texas race.

12. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

What evidence?

I read that Lance tested clean in all of the tests.

13. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Yeah, I'm confused.

Also, I assume they will be giving over 500 blood tests to whoever came in 2nd place and is now the winner since Lance isn't?

14. Gareth68

Gareth68

Tom Brady did get found guilty of winning with the benefit of cheating.

No records erased, little outrage, evidence destroyed immediately, and will go into the hall of fame first ballot asterisks and all when he hangs them up.

:dunno:

15. SteveM

SteveM Millennium Member

I'm not a doctor but could the dope/'roids caused his cancer?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  16. VELO

VELO

Not likely that would make much difference. From the USADA report:

"the judgment that the era in professional cycling which he
    dominated as the patron of the peloton was the dirtiest ever. Twenty of the twenty-one podium finishers in the Tour de France from 1999 through 2005 have been directly tied to likely doping through admissions, sanctions, public investigations or exceeding the UCI hematocrit threshold."

I've been a long time Armstrong fan and am saddened by this report. I've not been able to read it in its entirety yet, but what I have been able to read, it's clear that Lance doped.

I've posted in all of the other Armstrong threads that I believed he was clean due to the countless tests performed on him. It appears now that he not only was the best rider (I do believe it's an even playing field among the top riders as the doping was so prevalent) but also the best doper.

I may change my tune after reading the entire report, but it's not likely that anything will bolster Lance's position that he was clean.

I know that for most here in America cycling is a non-issue. I'm a cyclist and a fan. With Armstrong's resignation as the chair of his own foundation and Nike dropping him due to "seemingly insurmountable evidence" that he doped, this is a dark day for me as a fan of professional cycling and Lance Armstrong.

17. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

I just dislike the idea that he took something against the rules that enhanced performance. He gained an unfair advantage over competitors and they do not get nearly as much credit for "winning" this way (by default since he is being stripped of his wins)

If I had legitimately worked my ass off and got second to him I would be beyond pissed off. Those other athletes deserve him being ridiculed and ran through the mud and so does he.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Lampshade

Lampshade

Actually, testosterone and other illegal anabolic steroids are used in cycling.

19. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Crash is just louder and more painful when one falls from the very top.

20. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

It was an illegal drug by sporting standards and regulations. Definition is key when it comes to substances. In the States, alcohol is legal. In some Muslim countries, it is a severely banned illegal substance. In Amsterdam, you can light up a joint in a cafe, while in the States, well you know...

So yes, Armstrong used substances that, by the definition of the particular governing body, were unlawful.