Perspective on immigration...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock20 10mm, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

2. janice6

janice6

This type of presentation is often repeated and rarely listened to.

3. IQof1

IQof1

think of our country as "cake batter". we keep wanting to make more cake without making quality batter. instead, we just pour more water "immigrants" into the mix and eventually we will end up with nothing but a soupy mess....

and before some bleeding heart comes on here and calls me a closed minded bigot or something else stupid like that, my mom immigrated from Mexico (LEGALLY) and my wife immigrated from S. Korea (again legally). and this was done POST 9/11 so please spare me any "harder immigration policy now" crap.

guess what, it only took my wife 4 months and $400 to become a citizen. the test was a joke, she was given a study guide of 100 questions and expected to pass a test of 10 questions.

she was asked 3 questions and the test was stopped. she asked why, they told her she passed. she was pissed because she studied and knew all the answers too!

and for those that say we cant kick out illegals...bullschnit. or we cant kick children of illegals...again bullschnit. if my dad robbed a bank and brought me the money, do i get to keep it? yet we allow illegals to bring their kids here ILLEGALLY and then allow them to stay? same thing in my book.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. nursetim

nursetim

IQof1, wow, it took my wife years and several thousand dollars to become a citizen here. Did you have JAG in your corner? Good for your family. We need immigration by immigrants willing to assimilate to our country without giving up their culture. This is what makes our country great.

Let me put this in caveman speak. Legal immigration, good. Illegal immigration, bad. Questions?

5. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

IQ0f1: I like your way of explaining it! And congrats to the wife and mother.

6. IQof1

IQof1

nope, we did it all on our own. i was actually shocked at how easy it was for us. no legal counsel free or paid whatsoever.

and let me just say, i am all for LEGAL immigration. and i completely support an immigrant celebrating their culture to an extent. however, that support ends when they feel the need/right to replace American culture with theirs and the idea that i somehow need to adhere to their culture, they did come to MY country afterall.

i gladly participate in my wife's family's jessa (honoring ancestors on bday/death/new year) and can eat a truckload of my mom's mexican food but, i draw the line when i hear an Aunt of mine down talking the USA and talking up Mexico. that has been the cause of several blow-ups at family gatherings with me usually telling her to hop her ass back across the rio grande if Mexico is so great.

7. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

So, if I break into McCain's house will he cater to my ever whim and desire? Funny, he is asking the tax payers to do that to 11 million people who broke in, leaving a long line of people attemping to legally immigrate on the outside.

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Forget all of that. All of a sudden I feel really stupid worrying about getting the next latest coolest phone.

The point is that immigration <> helping world poverty. It doesn't mean we completely close our borders.

9. Kingarthurhk

We should seal off our borders. The tide of illegal immigration brings a flood of illegal drugs, potential terrorists (smugglers will smuggle anyone and anything in for a fee), and a wave of social problems we really don't need.

Legal immigration should continue. That way, the Unted States can pick people who will contribute to society, rather than just take from it and trash our nation as much as humanly possible.

Unless, we want our country to look like a border town Wallmark parking lot, we need to get a handle on this.

For those who have never been to a border town Wallmart, it is full of trash of unboxed store items (bought tax free by-the-way, unless you are from this country), and dirty diapers tossed in the back of random stranger's pickup trucks.

10. Kingarthurhk

I fully agree.

11. vtducrider

vtducrider

Immigration is a 2-step process, so to speak. You first need to obtain permanent residency status in the US. It is the so-called green card. If you have been a permanent resident of this country for 5 years or more, you are eligible to apply for citizenship, which is step 2. Nobody can skip step 1, which is the far more difficult process, and more expensive.

Many people come to the U.S. for higher education. After they complete their studies, they have 12 months to become employed, and the employers can often sponsor green cards for the foreign nationals who have specialized skillsets. But there is a quota of green cards each year, determined by the government. The wait is often years. There is a process to renew work-visa each year if you have not been granted a slot to apply for residency.

You can also apply for an immigrant visa if your parents, children, or spouse are US citizens or permanent residents. The immigrant visa allows you to enter the US, and a green card will be assigned to you. I think you would still have to wait for 5 years to become a citizen in this scenario.

Or, you can marry a US citizen. You will be given a temporary (2 years) green card, and then you can apply for the permanent one. Once you reach the 5 year mark, you can apply for citizenship, assuming the government does not find any evidence to prove that the marriage is fake at each application process.

I also heard that the US government is allowing investment immigrant visa now too, like Canada has been doing for years. The going rate is either $500K or a cool Mil, I can't recall exactly. They put up a new ski resort in my State a couple of years ago, and a lot Chinese people invested that amount to become eligible for immigrant visas. So I heard....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. vtducrider

vtducrider

Oh, political asylum/presidential amnesty is another way to get permanent residency.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Do you guys have watching-comprehension issues????

The video was on LEGAL IMMIGRATION! How does any of this have to do with sealing the borders and illegal mexicans????