Permit to Purchase question for MN LEOs

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by glock1911revolver, Feb 24, 2013.

1. glock1911revolver

glock1911revolver Vice-Emperor

My situation is this:

The first time I got a permit to purchase living in this jurisdiction, I had a problem. I submitted my application mid-May 2011. I had been told that the process usually goes quickly, so after a month had passed, I re-visited the police department to ask about the status of my permit. I thought maybe the paperwork had gotten mis-placed, forgotten, etc. The response I got was basically a "get the hell out of here." I finally got the permit in March of 2012, but it was only good to the date of the application. So my one year permit was good for two and a half months.

My questions:

Who in the department usually handles these permits? Any advice on how to prevent/solve this problem with the permit in the future?

Thanks

ETA For those of you not familiar with MN laws, the permit to purchase is required to buy a handgun from a dealer. A carry permit also works.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. TJ Superfly

TJ Superfly

Not sure, I've always got mine within a couple weeks of filing the application. I now have a conceal permit which gives you a purchase permit for five years. The conceal permit goes through your local sheriffs department. Maybe that is the route you should take in order to bypass the local PD that you're having issues with.

3. G-34

G-34

you have to have a permit to PURCHASE!!!!

are you KIDDING ME?????

get the HELL OUT OF MN! that is NOT part of the USA apperantly

COMMUNIST BAS***DS!!!!!

4. glock1911revolver

The carry permit is difficult for me because of my job. I have been signed up for the required classes twice, and both times I got called out of town for work.

Having the ability to purchase is useless without the money to buy.

5. merlynusn

merlynusn

NC also has a permit to purchase a handgun.

They have since amended it that CCW can purchase on their CCW without the purchase permit (still need a NICS check) and LEOs can purchase on their creds without a purchase permit (still need a NICS check).

6. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

Wow. And I used to think NC was fairly gun-friendly! :shocked:

7. merlynusn

merlynusn

I think what they do is just run a background on you. Which is stupid because you have to do the NICS check anyway. Again, it's pretty stupid. Have to get the permit from your county of residence and buy it in that county. Unless you're CCW or LEO now.

8. rebby

rebby

As noted in Subd 5;

After a week you have every right to visit your department and demand your permit. Be sure that you get a signed/dated receipt when you turn in your application.

In my experience, these permits never take more than 10 days door to door (being an FFL, I send quite a few people to obtain a PTP or PTC on a regular basis). Where are you located? What department are you dealing with?

9. glock1911revolver

10. rebby

rebby

The part that I put in bold is incorrect, the permit is good statewide. You apply for the PTP from your local municipality (either your local city department or your sheriff if you don't have a local city department). The PTC, on the other hand, always goes through your sheriff.

11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I will attempt to educate you from your current position.

What is a background check?
    The answer could fill a book, as there are as many types/variations as snowflakes.

The check you are referencing as the "NCIC check" is for disqualifying criminal convictions.

The background check the agency will run covers a lot more ground. They will run your info through their own (and usually other surrounding agencies records system. That may show mental health issues, association with known criminals, criminal behavior that wasn't charged out, etc. In other words, it may show someone who shouldn't have a gun based upon a pattern of their behaviors.

12. glock1911revolver

I tried that. I will definitely get a dated receipt next time.

Smaller town in Stearns County. I don't want to say which city, because I'm not here to vilify the police department.

13. glock1911revolver

I was curious about this as well. Thanks.

14. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

The answer:

Call the Agency and request an appointment to speak a head (Chief/Deputy Chief, Sheriff/Under Sheriff) about your permit issues.

That's really the only way to both find out what has happened in the past and how to address any future issue.
    Inquire on how their agency processes the permits and if they have a standard expected time of process for said permits.

Things that can change/influence how long it takes for permits to get processed? How about a homicide or serious assault? Yup, resources get gobbled up to deal with things "in the here and now". Nothing is an "excuse", just how the real world works.

Call, make the appointment, and if you feel like sharing come back and update us.

Best of luck.

TBO

15. bigkrackers

bigkrackers

If it happens again, get a lawyer. After 10 days make an attempt to find out what's going on. If you get stonewalled you'll need a lawyer. Not sure if being refunded your attorney fees applied to PTP applications. I would certainly think it could be argued that a non reply to an application is equal to a denial.

16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

What would be the purpose of getting a lawyer?

17. bigkrackers

bigkrackers

1. If you don't get a response to the PTP within 10 business days and no one will tell you why, a simple letter from an attorney will probably get a response.

2. If you are denied and want to challenge the denial.

I understand that the OP was not actually denied the permit but he might just as well have been. I would not have waited beyond the 15 day mark, especially after being stonewalled by the police,to contact legal council. I suppose you can just wait indefinitely but I wouldn't recommend that course of inaction.

Also, in MN, if you get a lawyer to challenge a denial for a permit to carry and you succeed in getting the denial over ruled, you are entitled to full reimbursement of attorney fees (at least for now). I do not know if this applied for PTP.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  18. glock1911revolver

Thanks. I won't be able to go in to apply for my new permit for a few weeks. Work sucks.

19. glock1911revolver

I should mention that I was not sitting at home crossing my fingers hoping that "this would be the day."

I have a crazy, unpredictable job. For example, in 2011, I saw my house for one day between Memorial Day and Thanksgiving. My work was the reason for my inaction. Can't wait until I find a sugar-mama.