Permit needed to buy ammo in NY Walmart?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Polak, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Polak

Polak (pō'lāk')

A friend of mine was in the area of a Walmart by Nanuet, NY and asked if I needed ammo since Walmarts don't sell ammo in NJ. They told him he needed a permit to buy. Is that true? I've bought ammo is PA with no problem before.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, you're talking about a state that has quite a bit of gun control(NY) and a state that doesn't(PA). States can make their own laws regarding sales of items. It may have been a store policy.

Hard telling really, I wouldn't worry about it.

IGF

3. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

And of course you believe them right? Did you have the manager come over and show you the law requirng the permit was required? Was it posted at the counter? Now it wouldn't surprise me seeing that its NY as they don't like gun owners!!:faint:

4. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

I go to Buffalo quite often and last fall encountered that very issue. I tried to purchase two boxes of .40 cal and they told me I needed to show my NY Permit. I told them I'm from Ohio and could show an Ohio Permit, but they refused to sell me any ammo at all. I drove down the road about a mile to a local gun store where they sold me the ammo without showing any permit at all. Walmart said it was store policy in the Republic of New York. In Ohio I purchase ammo at Walmart all the time without showing my permit. Go figure.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'd say that solves it... I figured it was WM more than NY, but wasn't sure.

IGF