close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Perhaps a legit use for a squat bar pad?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, Mar 21, 2010.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

3. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I've done those without the bar, and yes, it does dig in and hurts. I switched to my axle and it was much better. I don't own a SBP but I think that would be as legitimate as it gets.

On a side note, the buddy I sparred yesterday has a set of Perfect Pushups, Soloflex, and one of those manta thingies for squats. He is 14 years older than me so I gave him a pass. :cool:

4. BradD

BradD

I started to come up with a snide comment, but then I remembered doing that for Bulgarian Split Squats a while back...

5. Willard

Willard Who, me?

When I read your thread title, that was the exercise that came to mind. It is the only exercise that I use the pad for. If you haven't tried it, you can't appreciate what a terrific exercise that is!

6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I am that much older than you, and please, do NOT ever give me a pass for things like that.

7. BradD

BradD

:rofl: :rofl:

I used to try to come up with bridging exercises like that one back when I was doing NG. I came to the conclusion that there's no good substitute for DL.

8. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201

As an exercise physiologist this is very interesting to me. Although I cannot think of a sport or movement in sport, off the cuff that is, that this would be functional training for. I can almost gaureentee that it will add to core stability. As well as improve strength of spinal erectors, glutes, abdominals, and hip extensors etc. It may look like an attempt to become more lethal in the bed room, and it may achieve this, but it undoubtedly has some amount of functional training knowledge behind it.

9. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Ryno,

Would you consider it a good assistance exercise for DLing or PL style squatting?

10. BradD

BradD

"more lethal in the bedroom" LOL. I have to admit the thought occurred to me. I can see this exercise being useful if someone couldn't deadlift or squat. I think you'd agree that the deadlift and squat are probably more productive for most people though, right?

Another thought. For the most part, the human body was designed to lift stuff by hanging onto it with the hands. Putting the weight on the back is somewhat natural also, and the shoulders are tough enough to support the weight. This exercise seems different, with the concentrated pressure being applied to some delicate areas that would never be used to support concentrated load in the real world--hip flexor tendons, etc. Seems like a good way to hurt something.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  11. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201

Cal Jack,
    My quick answer would be yes because strengthening all of the particular areas I noted earlier can and will contribute to taking one's squat/deadlift to the next level. Take a look at any elite power lifting gym (Westside, EliteFts, etc.), they spend alot of time strengthening supporting muscle groups and movements for any particular lift. Often times taking more time to train the individual "pieces" pieces of the puzzle and then putting all the pieces together on meet day. In other words rather then just doing plain old squat, bench or deadlift on a weekly basis they will train many different variations of each lift to improve on the basic lift (if that makes sense). Wide stance squats, safety bar squats, chain/band squats, reverse band squats, zercher squats, foam block squats, bench squats to name a few. Some assistance exercises that are used include glute ham raises, spread eagle situps, good mornings etc.

I do agree with brad that this is a very un-natural way for the body to move weight but it will hit muscle groups from an angle that is not commonly thought or used and this is not necessarily a bad thing. It may work for him and his particular training objectives. I would definitely advise the use of caution, and the pad though haha.

12. BradD

BradD

I think we need to come up some new exercises. Roman chair situps with the bar attached to the throat would be one. I don't even think the manta ray SBP would help with that one. :rofl: Back extensions or good mornings while holding the weight between the teeth would be good also.

13. BradD

BradD

Just playing devil's advocate with the hip thrust: I'm not so sure that it's smart to work the muscles using un-natural movements. That might create imbalances or other issues that would mess up the movements that are more like what the body was designed to do. I know it's a little bit of a reach, but the first example I can think of is what can happen to the shoulder with all benching and no balancing out of the shoulder.

I think we're probably smart to stick mostly with exercises that are more like what our bodies were designed to do: deadlifts, squats, presses, pullups, holding a static grip, etc. Curls are out of vogue nowadays in the strength training community, but they're definitely in there too, as anybody with babies and toddlers knows. Add to that running, jumping, walking, swimming, etc. The human body is set up to do those things.

Anyway...just an idea as I'm heading off to bed.

14. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Also known as the Conjugate Method.

15. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I haven't done these yet, but will try soon.

I've done glute bridges like that. But the ROM is rather short.

I had some pipe insulation kicking around, so I made the poor mans squat bar pad. :supergrin:

16. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Isn't this called the Pirate hold? (as in knife in the teeth) :tongueout:

17. BradD

BradD

deleted

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  18. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

The full mount in MMA or any ju-jitsu based martial arts. Even more so, the street application of the full mount - there aren't weight classes on the street, and I'd want some strong hips if some big dude got past my Glock-fu and Muay Thai and put a full mount on me.

19. proactive

proactive

TR beat me to it. It's quite a functional move in the context of groundfighting. I've never used a bar with that positioning, but many of us practice similar movement with sandbags and people as weight.

20. BradD

BradD

But aren't those reversals mostly technique driven? I don't remember anybody ever feeling "heavy" and that being a problem.