close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

performance review, trigger job by mang dolpho of northstar MCS

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by zorkd, Feb 10, 2005.

1. zorkd

zorkd

i met mang dolpho for the first time today.

had a nice chat with him while he performed a trigger job on my norinco factory enhanced 1911.

the man works fast, and doesn't even use a sear jig to stone the sear engagement angles, if this is a good thing or not is debateable.

he did take the creep off of the factory trigger pull, and it is indeed light now, he says close to 2 or 3 pounds but i do have a few reservations about the final result of the job.

first off, after he first reassembled the gun after doing the job, it failed the grip safety test, he took it apart again and hammered something and now it seems to be ok.

another thing though is that, if you do the meticulous method of safety checking a 1911, his job would probably fall under "fail" because if you pull the trigger while the manual safety is on "safe" then try to fully cock the hammer again, there is this noticeable "click". this clicking sound can only be the sear fully reengaging on the hammer hook, meaning it was ever so slightly nudged out of full engagement while the safety was on "safe", not a good thing.

same clicking thing happebs when you pull the trigger while the grip safety isn't depressed. same thing when both safeties are on "safe".

he claims it is safe because the hammer doesn't fall even if you release the manual safety after pulling on the trigger while it was on safe. technically, so far that has been true, i would like the opinions of others though.

i'll do further testing before i go cocked and locked carry on this gun again.

he charged P250, not too bad, i just hope that it is indeed safe as he says.

just my experience.

[this update added on feb 26, 2005]

ok, so anyway, yesterday i finally got to test fire the pistol after mang dolpho did the job. while it is still as reliable as before, and the trigger is indeed sweet, i noticed after a few mags that i was getting "hammer follow" when i racked the slide on an empty chamber, especially when i release the slide using the slide stop.

when firing with live ammo though, the hammer never followed as the slide went back into full battery but i'd say it is just a matter of time. the extra resistance of chambering a round probably was enough to keep the sear from disengaging and dropping the hammer to half cock.

his job did give me a 2 lb trigger pull, but basically his work effed up the gun.

blah, add sear, hammer, and disconnector for parts to buy :(

2. jasonub

jasonub

scary no sear jig. heres another one for you. smith to fit a dovetailed rear sight. he visually checks then started milling the slide. removes the slide and tries to push the sight in. nope it wont go in. so he again milled it without taking measurements. then viola the sight will fall through the dovetail;z

so he breaks out the epoxy and started to stick it together;g

i got out of there asap and had someone else fix my gun.

there is nothing better than using the right tools/jigs/measurement than guess work.

good luck with your pistol. me i never had a trigger job ever since i got the sv. the holes are just perfect. just drop in the parts, sear and hammer and the trigger is fine from the start. as long as your sear spring and disconnector are fine.

i dropped in my koenig hammer and the 1.5 trigger pull is still there. now its 1.2 or so

3. zorkd

zorkd

well, nandyan na eh, i'll probably do some drop testing, yup i abuse my hardware.

he claims that sear jigs are for "amateurs", i didn't bother to argue.

you know, having had mechanical shop training in don bosco makati, i think i can actually do a decent job of smithing myself, i'll just need the tools, which i can't afford right now.

hehe

4. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Well speaking of drop-in parts, what drop-in parts and brands for the 1911 (Norinco particularly) are available locally.

And why are Chip McCormick parts so much chepaer than Ed Brown's or Wilson's. I'm already considering building my 1911 out of mostly McCormicks parts.

5. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

If you don't use a jig you can never ascertain the flatness of the sear face. And the angle of mating to the hammer hooks may be wrong because the jig has several pivot option to mount the sear. Also, you need to dress the hammer hooks and face to mate properly with the sear.

Kung eyeball lang ang ginawa, hit or miss ang mangyari. It may not be noticeable now but as you shoot more, the sear face or hammer hooks or both will wear out unevenly.

As for the sear moving while the safety is on, it should not be. I'm not sure why it became part of you trigger job to "dress" the safety-sear engagement but dapat hindi. Or could be andyan na ang problem before, 'di mo lang na notice kasi di pa malinis engagement surfaces ng sear and hammer.

;)

6. jasonub

jasonub

cmc are i think casted mim. the others are bar stock iirc

7. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

What???!!!.;P ;P ;P

Real pro's do not compromise the quality of their work by guessing IMO.

8. jasonub

jasonub

sear jigs are for amatures and pros alike.

not using one is for idiots and jokers who stones your expensive parts by feel and look;f

seriously for a 80 dollar hammer and a 50 dollar sear, i dont think ill let any joker not use a sear jig on it

9. gunfool

gunfool

Jason, so who the go to gunsmith just in case I had mine tweaked? or Who's your gunsmith if you don't mind?

10. jasonub

jasonub

i do my own trigger jobs since as i mentioned the holes on the sv frame have the perfect dimentions so i just drop in the part i have. i dremel it though using a cloth wheel at low speed and a little glo metal polish to make the sear shiny.

i will have metrillo fit it for me if i want to have a trigger job. ie adjust sear spring, get right poundage, etc.

11. gunfool

gunfool

Thanks for the info sir. Pa gunsmith ko na lang. How about Col. Bayang, is he any good?

12. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

ok si mang delfin ng first option. he's one of the last of the old school gunsmiths where you do not ask when he will finish the work on your pistol. I have not seen or heard negative comments about doing slip-shod work.

13. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Try mo yung akin dre gawa ni Col. Bayang. ;)

14. jasonub

jasonub

col is good he was the one who did my trigger on my old armscor. he uses a jig and magnifing glass btw;)

15. zorkd

zorkd

well, i really was so irked at the factory pull my rinco came with eh, so i said, hell bahala na, let's go see what mang dolpho can do, anyway, wehn i get better parts, siguro sa iba ko na dadalhin of it needs smithing pa.

he seems like a nice person naman, iba lang ang approach to gun smithing. hehe.

16. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

And to completely do a 180 on what I said above, I remembered that best trigger I tried was done on Bob S' gun. Kagagawa lang nung trigger nya dun mismo sa office nya lang but I forgot sino yung gumawa. I can't remember seeing a jig but he did use a magnifying glass.

Yang norinco mo dre should be fine. Iputok mo na lang ng iputok tapos replace the parts kung ano man yung mabiyak. ;)

17. jasonub

jasonub

the magnifying glass is connected to the jig. if your trigger weight is 4 pounds i think it will last. even if imperfect ang mating of hammer and sear.

with 2 pounds and less it should be perfect or it wont last. but i like perfect

18. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

If the hammer /sear engagement is not perfect, the trigger pull gets heavier as the mating surfaces settle with use. Perfect engagement = sweet trigger!

19. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I take this back.

In a moment of weakness, I filed my sear manually and...;1

'di naman yata DQ'able offense ang full-auto sa match no? ;f

20. jasonub

jasonub

bring it back to col. he may still save your sear