close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pepper roasted chicken

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by SamBuca, Nov 7, 2004.

1. SamBuca

SamBuca

Being 23, I'm still fairly new to cooking for myself....not doing that bad. I'm sure it's enough to impress a lady ;)

I just made the most AMAZING pepper roasted chicken...I need share and/or brag.

I had a whole chicken, just under 4 pounds. Rinsed him off in the sink (and did the obligatory "dead chicken dancing"). Put him in a shallow pan (looks 17"x9"..stock broiling pan from the oven), shoved some butter under the skin on the breast, and put a little water in the pan....might have been about 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup.

Then in another cup I mixed:

2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp red ground pepper (watch..it gets hot real fast)
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 tsp thyme
    1 tsp paprika
    2 tbsp oil (wasn't really a measurement...I filled about 6 teaspoons. It shouldn't be watery, but just a step beyond a paste)

Mixed it up...and then spread half of it all over the chicken with the spoon.

Covered loosely with non-stick aluminum foil (but tightly sealed around the edges), and cooked 30 mins @ 425.

After that, open it up (watch the steam), and dump the rest of the mixture on the chicken...if the skin is loose enough, spread some under the skin because the butter is now melted. If the juices evaporated, add a bit more water. Cook another 30-40 mins @ 325. 20 mins per pound.

Poke the legs to see if the liquid is clear...if it is, then you're good. If you like a crispy skin, pour the juices in the pan into a cup (your gravy) and then broil uncovered for 10 mins or so until desired crispiness.

I started the meal off with a salad, and then the main course was the chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. Dessert is brownies.

Sorry Boston Market...comes out better at home ^c

2. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

That does indeed sound good!

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Good job...
    My only imposition onto your thread is to make sure you're aware of the "night and day difference"
    between freshly ground black pepper and the spicy saw dust that you buy pre-ground...

When I need black pepper I toss a teaspoon or whatever of peppercorns into
    a cheap coffee grinder and buzz it for a few seconds...

The fragrance when you take the lid off is rich and smokey...
    It's a true spice!
    Often people don't know what it is in the grinder because they are only used to what they find on the table at IHOP...

Keep up the good work...

;c

4. SamBuca

SamBuca

I'd have to go look up the brand, but I think it's McCormick. They sell you the pepper corn and ginder all in 1 unit. Very convenient and cheap.