Pepe Le Pew Strikes In Portland Maine!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jan 16, 2020.

1. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" Docgkr

Maine, willie_pete and Rotn1 like this.
  2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Actually the damn thing is steerable. The skunk can be looking at you directly with it's third eye and squeeze of a shot to the left or right of you.

3. Dave514

Dave514

Yesterday my wife calls me at work. "We have a problem. There's a skunk in the garage. I honked the horn at him but he didn't go out."

I say- CHEESE AND FLIPPIN RICE!! Don't do anything. Just leave him alone!!!

I get home an hour later and he's hiding behind some boxes. Probably came in for the cat food. I toss a bunch of moth balls back in his area, turn on a radio and flip the lights on. After about an hour he decided the darkness outside was a better place to be.

SMH..."Honked the horn"...my gawd that would have stunk for months, woman!

4. Maine

Maine

My dog always get sprayed at the convenient time of 1-2 am. :fist:

5. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

I'll take the alligator. If ya have to shoot it in self defense, then ya have alligator steaks and a nice pair of alligator shoes. Is there any kind of sevice that deals with skunk smell in the house?

Dave514 and AdamRodgers like this.
  6. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I got invited to go coon hunting with a coworker one night. He had a pair of hounds, one older, very well trained female and a younger, less experienced male.

They were running down a hot scent and ran across a skunk. The male took a shot right in the face. The female got hit also, but not in the face.

Dealing with those dogs was terrible. The male was in agony. Virtually blind.

We dragged them into the water (we were hunting along a creek), and kept throwing them back in every time they got out. It was so strong you couldn't even smell it. My sense of smell basically shut down.

We got it on ourselves handling the dogs, but I didn't notice it until after I got home hours later.

Not messing with a skunk again, once was enough.

7. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

One time a coworker had a skunk under his house. He came to work smelling like one for three days. He said the smell permeated everything in his home.

8. willie_pete

if you ever get sprayed;

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-chemistry-of-skunk-spray-1567355548

" How to get the stench out? Tomato juice won't do it. It's just a strong smell that attempts to cover up the smell of skunk. What you need is a chemical that will change the composition of the thiol group. Fortunately, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are cheap, mild, and will do the job. They are oxidizing agents, meaning they will attach oxygen atoms to the sulfur atom in the thiol pairing, and take away its ability to stink. "

And in the : Cheer up; it could be worse " category:

"And if you're feeling glum about being sprayed by a skunk, cheer up. It could be worse. The chemicals are flammable, so under the right conditions, we could have had little striped flame throwers running around the woods. "

:rofl:

And don't try to wash it off with water

" The back-up squad of skunk spray consists of thioacetates, other groupings of carbon and hydrogen that are, at first, not particularly smelly. When water hits them, it rearranges them into more potent configurations. A dog - or human - that's been sprayed by a skunk will sometimes get smellier after being bathed in water. These compounds also linger, so when an area of a house that's been sprayed by a skunk gets rained on, we get a delayed reminder never to make a skunk mad. "

Oh and BTW; even if they are de-scented you can sometimes catch a whiff of skunk when they try to do it for real. So, best not to PO your little pet skunk.

:D

9. GcB

GcB Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.

I really don’t want a skunk in my house or spraying my dogs but they are ok by me out doing their thing in nature.

Skunks will dig for grubs and worms, leaving surprisingly small holes across the landscape. Skunks also dig up yellow jacket and ground wasp nests to eat both larvae and adults.
    They have even been known to agitate a nest and swat down adults as they emerge and eat them!

10. willie_pete

Yeah, it would be hard for me to harm one now after I played with Lilac.

AdamRodgers and FullClip like this.
  11. Caver 60

Caver 60

My renter had one get in the crawl space under the house. I set a leg hold trap and caught it, It was about three feet back into the crawl space. I just 12 gaged it. Didn't spray. Leaked a little as I dragged it out. Moving a shovel full of dirt took care of the smell. You don't want to get a family of skunks living under your house.

I'll leave them alone if they are out in the woods doing their thing at NIGHT. But if I see one in the daytime, it's time for shooting; especially if it's near the house. They are normally nocturnal. But they also carry rabies, and daytime behavior isn't normal IMO.