Pepe Le Pew Strikes In Portland Maine!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jan 16, 2020.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Ha-Ha! I'm sure some of you have had the joy of dealing with a dog that has been sprayed by a skunk. I can't even begin to think of the fun that having one go off several times in the house must be. That smell doesn't go away for a long long time.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/art...skunk/97-3da3166e-ff8d-4e9c-932d-863ebbceb476

That stinks! Portland woman's home invaded by skunk
    Willa Wirth went to let out her six-month-old puppy when a skunk scurried into her home, spraying all over

PORTLAND, Maine — January 12 started like any other day for Portland resident Willa Wirth but quickly changed to one her nose would never forget.

Wirth went to take out her six-month-old golden retriever, Tommy, from her Munjoy Hill home, when things turned south.

"Where do I even begin," Worth said. "All of a sudden, I have a skunk in my house."

When she opened the door to take out her dog, a skunk slipped by her into the home and started running roughshod. The skunk's first victim: the dog.

"He got it in his mouth because he kind of went right for the skunk, and he pawed him, so he got it on his paw and he got it in his mouth," Wirth said.

After spraying Wirth's dog, the skunk continued to spray in her living room before running up to the second floor.

"It sprayed the stairs, turned the corner, sprayed the wall and the stairs again," Wirth said.

The skunk continued to spray in her bedroom, leaving its stench on all sheets, linens and clothes out in the room.

"I scrubbed for eight hours, at least," Wirth said.

She added that she had to do 14 loads of laundry to try and get rid of the smell on exposed items. Eventually, Wirth was assisted by the Portland Police Department in removing the skunk from the house. Once the skunk was gone, however, the stench didn't go away.

"It was so unbearable that I couldn't even be in there," Wirth said.

Wirth has since been able to stay with friends and family while her home continues to smell. A cleaning crew has already come and torn out the tarnished carpets. Wirth said, however, both she and her landlord have renters and homeowners insurance, and that it has greatly helped to offset cleaning costs.

Through the entire ordeal, Wirth has stayed remarkably positive.

"I'll be honest with you, I've been laughing all along. Life is short. If you can't laugh at things like this, it's going to be a long road," Wirth said.

She expects to be able to fully return to her home in one to two weeks.

2. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    This is why you gotta carry at home.

Maine, Rotn1, orangejeep06 and 2 others like this.

3. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Shooting a skunk in your home will make problems worse, not better.

cyberghostx13, Maine, Dave514 and 3 others like this.
  4. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

A 10mm would probably collapse the entire house. LOL

Maine, Rotn1, AdamRodgers and 4 others like this.
  5. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I’d have shot the little bugger before he got upstairs that’s for darn sure. He’s gonna spray anyway so limit the area he can spray.

6. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Or could make a good story great. :50cal:

Maine, Rotn1 and orangejeep06 like this.
  7. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Sounds like a job for an armored tactical possum and a ninja attack squirrel.

20191214_122710.jpg

22182062-0-image-a-81_1576200565048.jpg

cyberghostx13, Maine, n2g and 7 others like this.
  8. GcB

GcB Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.

Skunk or,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’ll take the skunk thanks

cyberghostx13, Maine, n2g and 5 others like this.
  9. Caver 60

Caver 60

Depends on how good a shot you are, and how well you hit them. But it's sure going to make a bunch of holes in the floor.

Been awhile since I've told my skunk story. I'll try to shorten it up using poor grammar.

Pulling tractor into barn. See skunk run behind some stacked tin. Was carrying a Kahr MK9. Decided to retrieve my 12 gage, ear plugs, and three rounds of shells.

Moved tin, shot three skunks with 12 gage. Out of shotgun shells. Moved more tin, one more skunk. Did a mag dump into skunk with MK9. Reloaded, moved more tin, one more skunk. Another mag dump.

Not a single one of those skunks sprayed. A couple leaked a few drops, but moving a shovel full of dirt took care of that.

Maine, Glock Commando, Rotn1 and 2 others like this.
  10. GcB

GcB Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.

Just need a sacrificial blanket and the skunk spraying isn’t normally going to be this big of an issue.
    Now if you add a dog to the mix and scare the skunk, well it’s going to spray the **** out of the place as it tries to escape or hide.
    In the case of this story it was timing and bad luck along with a puppy being a puppy, **** for sure happens

cyberghostx13, Maine, Rotn1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

My dog has been sprayed twice.....the smell is nothing like the side of the road skunk....it's 100x worse. It's like you can't breath.

I didn't even let my dog get within 10ft of me and the smell still stuck to my clothes and had to be washed several times.

MB-G26, cyberghostx13, Maine and 3 others like this.
  12. DrewBone

DrewBone

13. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

I have this mental image of Elmer Fudd, carrying his famous semi-auto unlimited ammo side-by-side, chasing that skunk through the house and hitting everything but his quarry - while the dog dives for cover.

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

Blanket should work. Better than holes in the floor. But if they're not in a live trap I'm not sure I'd risk picking them up and carrying them outside. They do carry rabies.

I've live trapped them before. Just walk up on the live trap holding the blanket. Gently place it over the trap and carry it to a safe place.

Wear gloves and from the rear, pull the blanket up so you can release the trap door. Then stand back. You can either free the skunk and let it go, or shoot it as it leaves, your choice.

And tomato juice has never worked on my dogs when they get sprayed. I've even tried a product that I got from the vet to wash a sprayed dog. Most any good liquid soap works just about as good, but you just have to let the residual smell wear off.

BTW dogs think skunk spray is the finest perfume. I had one dog that got sprayed three or four times. With their sensitive smell, you'd think they would learn.

If you shoot them, try to get them in the head above the eyes, or back of neck to break the spine, and hit them hard and fast. I like a mag dump or 12 ga.

Maine, Rotn1, orangejeep06 and 2 others like this.
  15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Used to date a girl that had a pet skunk; it was de-scented; she called it Lilac. :rofl:

She was a cute little bugger. The are near-sighted and if you walked into a room with her she would slap her front feet on the floor as a warning. Once she recognized me, she would waddle over to get rubbed.

They evidently have to look at you if they want to spray you, so if someone surprised her, she would twist into a U shape and point both ends at the offender. She was shooting blanks though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLz1GSkJeks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  16. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I'll take the gator. Could use the boots.

17. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" Docgkr

18. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

Yeah, but all the ones in the pics are barefoot. ;)

19. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

They do learn, but unless it’s a direct hit in the schnozz they like the stuff, as you note. If they find a ground zero where something else was sprayed, they’ll roll in it. Fortunately the smell in this case isn’t as persistent.

Good heads-up on the rabies, too.

larry_minn, Maine, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  20. Rotn1

Rotn1

I’m thinking .68 Cal.

2978DDD9-CB57-4ADB-AA60-691BB7FD6095.jpeg