Peoples experience with Tactical Solutions AR 22lr conversion Upper

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Gokyo, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Gokyo

Gokyo

i am thinking of getting a Tactical solutions 22Lr ar 15 conversion.

Anybody have one and willing to share your experiences?

Or am i just better off getting 22 lr bolt conversion and use my .223 barrel?

Thank you.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The gun doesn't belong to me, but the owner was very unhappy because of repeat malfunctions. You can barely fire through a mag without some sort of stoppages. I am less than impressed.

[​IMG]

3. Caladan

Caladan

I've had one for about 1.5 years, mounted on a RRA lower. It's the threaded barrel w/Hogue forearm version. It's pretty much 100% reliable until round count gets to somewhere around 400 or so. IOW, by the time we get close to the bottom of a 550ct. box of the Federal bulk you can get at Wal-Mart, it will start to have misfeeds due to being dirty. When this happens at the ranch, I'll just hose it out with Tetra cleaner/lube spray, and go back to shooting.

It's also a lot more accurate than I would have estimated. 1/2" groups at 50 yards are not a problem at all with some types of ammo (not the bulk mentioned above). I have not shots groups on paper past 50 yards, since it's used for plinking. I can tell you that it's more accurate than a buddy's RRA w/CMMG conversion kit. It really likes the Aguila high-velocity in the yellow box, and will also cycle with Eley standard-velocity match ammo. Most of the time though, we'll just use the Federal bulk already mentioned.

All that being said, I will say they are kinda pricey, but as is provides exceptional performance, I'm very happy with it. The only thing I would say is that one needs to know how to keep these things clean and properly lubed, or you will get failures.

4. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Although I love my Tactical Solutions upper for my Ruger MKII, I've seen mixed results on the AR upper. My suggestion would be to skip the convertion and pick up a S&W M&P 15-22. Would probably be in the same price range.

5. edrobert

edrobert

Most folks who experience malfunctions are using a notched hammer rather than a rounded DPMS hammer.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

How's a different hammer going to help with failure to feed issue? The guy was using the Black Dog mags which were suppose to be the best compatible with the unit.

7. edrobert

edrobert

The notched hammers cause slight hangups on the rear/bottom of the bolt which throws off the timing.....making for more malfunctions.

Just experienced this again this weekend when I let me buddy try out my Spikes bolt in his Bushmaster. Bolt runs 100% in all of my AR which have DPMS hammers, yet would consistantly malfunction(FTF, FTE) in his notched hammer Bushy.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Thanks for the info. I'll forward this post to the guy and hopefully he can get the kit to function better. It's pretty suck to have $500 for the top plus another $100-something for the Bushnell red dot and then have about two or three jams per 10-round mag.

9. aubie515

aubie515

Poster is correct. There is warning about the notched hammers on the TC site along with other sites that sells the TC uppers.

I have the TS M4 and I have not had an issue with the upper. Fun upper and I'd get it before the SW rifle. The SW rifle sorta looks like an AR15, but it feels and looks cheap due to all of the plastic that is used.

10. mercop

mercop

Just came in from shooting mine and was looking for answers. It would fire a few rounds and then jam, sometimes I could not pull the charging handle all the way to the rear, and other times a bullet nose would be all bent up into the feed ramp. I got to thinking it was a timing issue too. The hammer issue makes sense, guess I need a new hammer,- George