close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

people who quit without notice or job lined up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Diesel McBadass, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Now, i have seen quite a few people quit jobs ive worked at or jobs friends have. Many people quit on the spot, alk out during a shift, etc. Almost none give a notice. A 2 weeks notice is a courtesy i would give.

What i cant understand though, is these people almost never have another job lined up. They aren't quitting to start a new job. they are just quitting because they dont like where there at and apparently would rather make no money and be broke?

What am i missing here?

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Emotionally underdeveloped, not concerned with consequences, just feeling good.

3. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Maybe it's not their thing or its to hard for them or didn't like the job or the people they have to work with. :dunno:
    I'm a General Contractor and I had people quit before lunch on their 1st day and had people work for me 10 yrs+.

4. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

I did it in once in high school. I was working two jobs. One as a butcher, and one in retail. I quit the butcher job to make more time for my girlfriend and try to enjoy my senior year. A couple months later I quit the retail job at the mall because it really sucked. I ran out of money real quick, but I sure did enjoy the free time I had to spend with friends and enjoy high school. I had a whole month and a half off. :rofl:

5. CAcop

CAcop

I've seen it mostly with low end jobs just because with those jobs they are just looking for a warm body. Sometimes it happens with better paying jubs because they just can't stand it anymore.

6. TK-421

TK-421

They know the government will support them while they sit at home watching TV.

7. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Lots of different reasons, including those listed above... I've done it before, but been at this job for 10 years... I'm the type of person that can take a whoooole lot of crap, and have a very strong will power to stick something out against everything inside telling me otherwise... The downfall to that is I can operate for a long time on that ragged edge, and with that the time of the breaking point is unpredictable...

When I've had enough it's after a extended time period of frustration, and it comes on real quick when it finally happens... It's usually when I feel like someone is testing my limits without a real constructive reason to do so... The best thing at that point for everyone is for me to remove myself and go on with my life... This is not something that I have mistaken for a strength, I do recognize it as a fault...

I've known alot of people that are habitual and irresponsible quiters just due to the fact that they have little concern about anything, and typically shrug their shoulders at most events of life... That is most definitely not me but I've seen it many times, especially in the construction trade..

8. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Back in 2008/09 when things were slowing down economically, the plant where I work offered voluntary lay-off. The acceptants of it were the first ones I'd have canned if the choice were mine. They receiveved unemployment as long as they could. I don't think that any of these folks were hired back in when we cranked up in 2010.

9. pennlineman

pennlineman

I work construction. Most of the guys who quit without notice are young. Have very few if any bills. And usually have some sort of support system such as parents or a girl friend that will put up with it. No responsibilty, no cares.

10. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Several years back.....

I had a relative do it. He had nothing lined up. He had a hard time find the next spot. He grew up a little over those months.

I saw a senior unix administrator do it in a meeting when the PM decided to schedule him to work 36 hours straight. No one else who could do the work would. We all claimed ignorance until the PM was canned. As a side note this Unix admin we X-special forces or Seal or.....Sorry memory is fading. It is not that he could not stay up that long. It was that the PM was always pulling this crap and he finally had the power to do something about it.

11. MasterShake

MasterShake Brew Crew

What you're missing here is there's people who just don't like to think before they act.

12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Some people are unable to look down the road, even five minutes.

13. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Or...

Consider that there are common courtesies shared with a certain reciprocity between both parties. Sometimes, it is the employer that is less than honorable...

In an instance where the employer was less-than-honest, or otherwise failed to hold up his end of the understanding that was shared when the employee was hired, the employee has every right, IMO, to walk off the job without notice.

Professional salespeople, in particular, are vulnerable to unscrupulous employers that don't mind paying everybody that benefitted from a sale—except the guy that sold it! I've seen this several times over decades...

On one occasion, I filed for UCB right from my desk, while I was still working for the guy—and I got it! He wasn't happy about that... But then again, he was only happy when he was screwing people!

On another occasion, I filed for UCB before a "Big Meeting" where a fabulous opportunity supposedly awaited me. I listened to the asinine proposal, told them I needed a day to think about it; then let it drag on through the weekend, and promptly resigned on Monday—and won my UCB decision!

On one occasion, I gave two weeks notice in writing, via Fed Ex, the day my two-week vacation commenced. I'd been with this company nine years, was promoted twice (having turned two promotions down), and won every sales award they could offer. As it turned out, my timing was perfect, as a wave of mergers, demotions, and dismissals soon followed!

On another occasion, I gave notice to my boss at a trade show we were working, after he'd jacked me around the day before in front of some prospects (one of whom was the wife of my next employer)... So, on my break I went two aisles over with my resume and photo album, and was offered a job the very next day! Since my old boss didn’t want me following up on the prospects from the trade show, he dismissed me in lieu of notice and I got UCB for the two weeks before I started the new job!

On one truly memorable occasion, I locked my keys in my desk on Christmas eve day, faxed my resignation to corporate, and locked myself out of the office. When I got home and told my wife, she cried and hugged me; and we celebrated—hard! The store closed three months later, having tried three other managers after me... After that, another location closed, and today they have but one struggling store that turns people like popcorn.

Just saying, it isn’t always the employee...

--Ray

14. ray9898

ray9898

Some people are just dumb.

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I've had jobs in the past where I just wanted to say F it! Total suck jobs, crap pay! even though I never acted on the urge, I came damn close!

16. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

Had a very good friend of mine just up and quit, got so fed up with management taking advantage of him he decided to remove himself from the equation.

He had a hard time finding a job for 6mo.. I talked to a guy who's company was hiring and next thing you know, he's got a job that pays twice as much, and for better people. He's been there almost 3 years now.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

17. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I would rather MAKE them fire me:wavey:

18. legalsten

legalsten

I would agree that most of the time it is a stupid move by a younger person . I have done it twice at the same place . I walked out after 8 years at a Governmet job with good benifits . The Boss was terrible and the politics were even worse . After leaving his boss did some checking and I was asked if I would return . This was several weeks later and I did return and worked for another 7 years there.

New younger boss , who was one of the biggest slackers we had , was now trying to prove something so we locked horns big time for a few years . Again I had enough and left again without any notice . In the office and one thing leads to another and before it was over I was leaving again. I had another job in about a week. Several years later the same boss even asked me to apply for a job with them again. Maybe we both grew up a little . I even got to the final interview and decided it would probably be the same mess all over again.

I do beleive giving a notice is the proper thing to do . It is out of respect and courtesy that you leave with a notice . They did not have my respect . I had a family and 2 kids to support . I never filed for any help and we did fine . I also think leaving was the best thing I ever did.

Maybe I should have given a notice , but in the past everyone I had seen give a notice at this place was rode to death . The days of finding a job around every corner are long gone and we are talking about 20 plus years ago here when I did this .

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  19. ede

ede Bama's Friend

if you've never dragged up you'd not understand it. my take on giving 2 weeks notice is something fools do or think they have to do. i have yet to see how it benifits me or the employer.

20. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

I quit a job without notice only once. I was working as a mechanic for a taxi company. The owners were cheapskates. I had complained about the lift in the garage weveral times. The lift had been installed in the 1920s in a VERY narrow bay. It still had the original head designed for the cars of its day. The lift had none of the adapters required to safely lift the cars of the late 60s and 70s. It was flat out dangerous. The owners refused to update the lift because it would have cost them, oh maybe 7 to 800 bucks.

One day I had a taxi up on the lift for some long overdue service when the car slipped sideways off of the lift. It became trapped between the top of the lift and the wall of the building. I was under it when the car slid.

I had a friend bring his pick-up truck into the shop, and loaded up all of my tools and equipment. THEN I went into the office and quit the job. It was then that they offered to replace the lift head. Too little, too late! I still get a bit angry on the rare occasions that I remember that, and that was almost 50 years ago. Cheap bastiges could have killed me.