People Watching at the Gun Show

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gaston_Convert, Sep 25, 2017.

1. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

I don't go to them often anymore due to the reasons others have cited. I was always curious, however, about the seemingly mandatory "WWII Collectibles" vendors that were at these shows, hawking rusty SS daggers, threadbare Wermacht uniforms, dented helmets and basically anything else with a swastika on it.

Those guys always seemed to have a few curious kids looking at their stuff, but for the life of me I don't think I ever saw one making an actual sale...but they'd always be there.

:dunno:

nursetim and Gaston_Convert like this.
  2. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

Cost of a table to sell from is sky high ,admission prices up ,some charge to park , all this has to be compared to cost of shipping , I shop the internet , where if you watch ,no tax . I keep a large supply of Glock parts all purchased by internet . Government Civic center raised the rent so high a lot of places , promoters could no longer put on the shows . A slow sure way to shut them down .

They are more than likely buyers ,what they bring to the show is bait .

tsmo1066 likes this.

3. faceplant

faceplant

Used to go regularly. Not anymore. Same ****. Prices higher than retail. Admission, parking and bad hygiene. The Internet Works GREAT For me.

Rotn1 and Just Glocks like this.
  4. astepup

astepup

Anymore I'll go to a show on the off chance I'll find a replacement for my dad's knife he got when he was 18. I think it was a Case or Western brand with steel that would hold an edge forever. It had a basket weave design on the sheath. He left it on the side of the pickup box after we cleaned some birds one year and it fell off onto the road. Somebody picked up a damn fine knife that day.

I'll look over the tables to see what's there for guns, every once in awhile seeing a decent one but prices even on the used stuff can be unreal at times.

5. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

One of the shows I sell brass at is $30 per table, the others are all $45 per table. I get two tables at every show, but I at least get my son, brother, nephew, and dad in for free.

cbetts1 likes this.
  6. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Gun shows are purely entertainment for me...something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I enjoy looking at various guns and being able to handle them, even if I'm not interested in making any purchases. I do find a deal from time to time, but usually not. I'm not really a people watcher.

larry_minn likes this.
  7. First shot

First shot

I used to go to many when I lived in Austin. A lot of vintage "cowboy" stuff. Amazing to look at but nothing I could buy. Made some good trades and purchases there. The ones in Virginia are similar IMO. Less vintage Wild West but nice stuff. For me, I would go looking for one or two specific firearms, know the value as per condition, and do some good old fashioned dickering. If something caught my eye that I didn't know about, I'd find one of my LGS owners and ask him or a friend that's more knowledgeable than me. Still fun, I just don't buy much anymore, but the fun of people watching is always there. Along with poor handling techniques. I've seen dealers cringe then shake their head and go on. Not many seem to want to appear as anything less than an expert. Foolish pride.

8. plp

plp

Same here, out of the last 3 shows I've been to, the only thing I bought was a couple of hats.

There is one guy that carrys a lot of both vintage and high end rifles. He had a Blaser in 7x57 Mauser that really kept calling my name, had to patiently explain to it that yes, while it is true love, just couldn't swing the 8 grand he was asking. Same with the Winchester 1895 Russian, but suspect that was just lust on my part.

9. SilentRecon

SilentRecon

I love going to gun shows! I like to pay $12 entrance fee and walk out with $750 glock, NCstar scope laser combo, $20 small bag of beef jerky and $6 lemonade. Makes me feel accomplished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotn1, faceplant, nursetim and 3 others like this.
  10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

How much Jerky was at the last gunshow you went to?

:eat:

CDR_Glock and silentpoet like this.
  11. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

IF WE GO, it's because we are going with friends. I'm liquidating my personal collection and am not looking to buy. Dealers want to pay 10 cents on the dollar and sell for $2 on the dollar.

Big Top Gun Shows "says" they are the best but no concealed carry is allowed, no knives except in sheaths, no cell phones (or cameras), etc. They charge $12 locally for 1/2 of a building of tables.

WA Gun Collectors only allow members to buy or sell. You MUST be nominated by a member (who will charge you a fee!).

Los Angeles used to have a good one= 4-6 buildings at the Fair Grounds-twice a year. But the County said no guns, so.............. Saw lot's of celebs (Wilt Chamberlain is TALL!). A lot of wanna-be cowboys in "Shady Brady's", Mall Ninjas in camo (saw one guy looking at an AK-couldn't pull the bolt back, so he "Kick-started" it like a motorcycle.) and the guys in wheelchairs blocking the aisles while they spout their immense pseudo-knowledge of minutia about the "1797 predecessors of Mauser rifles."

No=don't need it!

cbetts1, elkhart and nursetim like this.
  12. dudel

dudel

I think that happens in places/venues that draw inexperienced gun buyers. The ones I go to are frequented by good ole boys who know the price and value of a gun. Overpriced stuff won't sell. The prices I see are good, and I can sometimes find stuff that's not available in stores. The vendors here have stores, and basically bring the loss leaders to the show, planning on getting people to the store. I've seen where you can buy a scope, then bring it to the store for free mounting and sighting. Not a bad deal. Not all dealers are stupid. I have a couple of guns on my list that I would get; but mostly go for brass and reloading components.

nursetim and silentpoet like this.
  13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Ahhh the gun show where you see tables of worthless Chinese crap being sold by self-described American patriots

lazarus66, Rotn1, SilentRecon and 4 others like this.
  14. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

I finally found a nice M99 Savage at a gun show. I guy about my age was selling his whole collection so i lucked out as far as timing. I went to his house a few days later and my oh my, what a collection he had. He said it was his retirement investment that he had contributed to over the years. I had to pay a pretty penny for it, but WTH, it's only money.
    And back to guns shows, yup, same old, same old crap, generally, and not much for scenery. Airport terminals are much better, for the latter.

silentpoet likes this.
  15. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

I bought my G19 and took the CC course at the local gun show. Melbourne has one every month or so.

Last time I went I bought a nice set of Cutco steak knives.

16. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I wish our shows were like that. I could go for some cheap Chinese AKs, SKSs, and ammo. tom. ;)

silentpoet likes this.
  17. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

FIFY

silentpoet likes this.
  18. glock1097

glock1097

Detroit had the best gun show at the Light Guard Armory on Eight Mile. But sadly that's gone. Than it was Gibraltar Trade Center, Taylor its closed. Not many options anymore. Birch Run has a gun show that is large but not sure about pricing.

19. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

and then there is Tulsa!

silentpoet likes this.
  20. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I like the ones in Ft Worth... although it has become the belt and jerky show for me in the last few years. I did pickup a nice used holster for my Glock 19 for cheap, but I knew the dealer and he is always fair.