People Watching at the Gun Show

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gaston_Convert, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

Saturday morning I went to a local gun show hosted by a Rifle & Pistol Club. They host two of the better shows during the year.

I got there early, before it got crowded, and couldn't help noticing how many elderly men were there. "Where is the next generation of hunters and enthusiasts?" I wondered. Well, as things got more crowded, younger people started filling in the crowd. Some things I couldn't help noticing were:

- too many man buns
    - too many people with backpacks unaware of how far out they protrude behind them as they turn quickly in tight quarters knocking into others
    - ammo attempting to be sold by those who hoarded earlier and are now trying to recoup their "investment." (In other words, trying to sell off what they've got for much higher than current retail prices.)

There were some Gen 3, 4 and 5 Glock 19s together at one table where I got to handle and compare all three. The finger grooves actually fit me. The cutout at the bottom of the Gen 5 19 bothers me a bit, but not on the Gen 5 17. My little finger is above the notch on a 17, but not on the 19.

Still, I didn't find anything I couldn't live without, but did get a few hours of entertainment on a Saturday morning.

Paul53 likes this.
  2. Bud0505

Bud0505

I’m always amazed at the number of firearm experts and appraisers that are in the crowd.

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

it's like WalMart, isn't it?

4. nursetim

nursetim

I noticed more SJWs than ever before. Also a few folks speaking what sounds like arabic, that made my sphincter tighten a bit, think coal to diamonds.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I don't see any of those, just a few "gangsta" types who look like they might need their baby-mama along to do the background check stuff.

6. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I've gotten so I only go to local shows for ammo or accessories (or to people watch).

Just Glocks likes this.
  7. refugeepj

refugeepj

i only watch lady people.

8. Rotn1

Rotn1

The "big" show(s) around here are at Oak's Convention center near King of Prussia about 40 minutes west of Philadelphia.

Next one is Oct 6th.
    Here are my "usual" observations.

Packed. Despite the large size of the venue.
    Not a lot, but enough gang banger types you notice and hope they don't complete any purchases.
    High percentage of senior citizens.
    High percentage of folks with restricted mobility.
    A noticeable amount of folks with poor hygiene and / or dishevelled.
    A small but consistent percentage of wives or girlfriends (accompanying their significant others) who are obviously "on display" with their overly tight / short skirts or shorts and maximum exposure of the boobies. Not complaining here it just looks like they are putting on a show for their guys and use the gun show as the destination for them to present their lady parts.

Patchman likes this.
  9. ede

ede

Use to see a couple at every gun show I went to. Late 40s early 50s. Guy always dressed like cowboy, boots vest etc. Gal wore knee high boots lace hose short shorts see through top and lace bra to match or something similar.

Rotn1 likes this.
  10. handloader109

handloader109

For the ones in Arkansas and the big Tulsa show, I've noticed they've been low turnout since election, no gangbangers, plenty of old farts, many with limited mobility. Not too much of the stinkers, and no boobies

Rotn1 likes this.
  11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm disappointed at the various Virginia gun shows.

No gangstas, no rednecks, no preppers, no GI Joes.

windpoint and silentpoet like this.
  12. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

The shows to the north and south of our area are attended by normal people. The few that are east of the city draw individuals that end up in the news. I can't explain it? tom. :dunno:

13. Cooter!!

Cooter!! Permanent Noob

Do gun shows even matter anymore? I don't do 'safe queens' or vintage but I haven't seen a good deal at a gun show for a loooong time:nutcheck:

GWSHARK, Smokey613, tsmo1066 and 7 others like this.
  14. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Maybe their children or grandchildren will be able to sell it at a "profit" some day.

15. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I've been very happy with the deals I get at the local shows. YMMV. tom.:cowboy:

dudel and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  16. fowl intent

fowl intent Banned

Gun shows have pretty much become a waste of time. A bunch of fried pork rinds, eyeglass cleaners, knife sharpeners, Chinese flashlights, coins, jewelry, t-shirts, a bunch of new plastic guns, and if I am lucky, a few dealers with very limited number of good used metal/wood vintage pieces. To add insult to injury, ticket that used to be $2 is now $9. When it hits $10 I'm done.

17. Cooter!!

Cooter!! Permanent Noob

I feel that stuff is so overpriced, I don't even bother to throw a low-ball (realistic) offer.

Maybe that's whats wrong, but I feel you'll get no where offering half of asking price because either the seller is an idiot and you offend them, or you are...:elephant: haha

dudel likes this.
  18. curlysir

curlysir

Not around this area. The gun shows have much better prices then the LGS. And the prices are lower at the show then they are from the same vendor at the store. I have tried to buy from my local dealers but they will not budge from their listed price which are usually at least $50 more then the gun show.

cbetts1 likes this.
  19. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I will be there and you described it EXACTLY... Don't forget the operator types in camo but look like they would pass out in a half mile... I will probably go Friday to pick up some beef jerky and maybe some ammo..

silentpoet and Rotn1 like this.
  20. maxmanta

maxmanta

I used to go to all the gun shows in CT and MA (yes....there are a few), until I noticed that it was ALWAYS the same vendors selling the same stuff. Including this one guy who was selling an "original" German SS 44-dot tunic and trousers that were WAY to mint to be original. I don't know how much he wanted, but it was over $1000.00.

fjrdc and Rotn1 like this.