close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

People Think I'm Crazy for the New Lifestyle I'm After...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by T-Rod45, Mar 7, 2012.

1. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

:dunno: ... do you?

I've lived in CT my whole life. I'm 30 and single/divorced. I currently have a girlfriend of 3 years. We are both in the medical field. I own a house with a good amount a positive equity and I'm looking to sell...

I've really been considering getting the hell out of the north east. Actually I'm 100% set on it. I don't like the weather, taxes, and general lack of anything worth paying a premium for. I don't have much family, and once my house I sold, there's nothing keeping me/us here. I want to move to a pro-gun state, where the winters are not quite as brutal as up north. I want a 3-4 bedroom home on ideally 5 or more acres where I have total privacy and can shoot on my own land... I plan on buying the property outright or close to it, an if I do mortgage a portion I plan on paying it off inside of 5 years.

I've realized that staying where I am will make retirement or anything close to it impossible. If I move south/southwest and have no mortgage, my revolving expenses being limited to insurance, utilities, and a FRACTION of the taxes I'm used to. My current mortgage includes the $5,000+ annual property tax on my <1 acre, 3 bedroom home. I will be saving at least $2000 a month. I'll be able to work where/when/how I want instead of being forced to work like a mule just to cover the nut. I will be able to actually enjoy life!

All I want is my land, my freedom, a home shooting range, stable for my motorcycles, and to end each day with the satisfaction that I am doing exactly what I want to do. People tell me:

•There's no work out there!
    •Wages are so much lower out there!
    •You'll be back before you know it!

My defense is that I'm being relieved of over $2000/month in expenses. They don't understand that if you move to a place with a lower cost of living, it only works if you can go with capital to lower your expenses to start with. I could take a 30% cut in wages an still be on top! Tell me I'm not crazy. Tell me what I want is not unrealistic. Tell me I won't regret leaving this godforsaken place and that I'll never look back! :faint:

2. Restless28

Restless28

Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana

3. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

I absolutely dont think you are crazy. Forget the stereotypes and research WV. No I am not joking. Low taxes lots of shooting land, the hard economy typically hits us last and 4 real seasons. Plenty of places for any and all outdoor activities you can think of and really not that far from CT if you need to go back for a visit.

We are very Pro-gun here.

Some counties still use and accept the "he needed killin' " defense here. LOL

4. debbert

debbert

If I could do it, I would. Sounds like you have a good plan going, there.

5. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Come to Texas. Just stop trying to talk sense into your friends! Some of them may follow you!

:supergrin:

6. AA#5

AA#5

I don't blame you. I'm thinking about the same thing.

IMO, money/work is why most people put up with living where they don't want to. If you're able to make a decent living where you'd rather be, I'd go for it.

I don't know about decent weather, though. I wouldn't want to put up with hurricaines, tornadoes, blizzards or frequent temps colder than my fridge.

7. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

I can't imagine living where it snows on purpose. That stuff is COLD!! :wow:

8. 427

Who cares what others think. Do what you need to do.

Money is less, but then so are the expenses.

To tell you how bad it is where I'm at, there are people from Cali and the east coast moving to New Mexico!

9. kbandy

kbandy

You should be posting this from your cell phone, driving a Uhaul truck with all your crap in right now. to heck with what people think, im working on that very thing right now. good luck Bro.

10. coastal4974

coastal4974

Misery loves company, of course they don’t want you to leave.

You have the right idea, don’t let other people tell you how they want you to lead your life.

I lived in CT for many years and could not vision myself leaving, I thought it was a good place to live.

Then I moved for work and I found out how stupid I was for staying in CT for as long as I did.

Enjoy your life, do what makes you happy, that’s all that really matters.

11. G23c

G23c

... I saw miles and miles of Texas, all the stars up in the sky ...

12. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

OP: not only does that NOT sound crazy, it sounds like a solid plan.

I feel your pain. I live in north NJ and I'm sick of the winters (except this one :supergrin:), the taxes, the crowds, the traffic, etc. Not to mention the gun laws.

One day I hope to do exactly what you are planning to do.

13. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Texas is full...unless you want to go to Austin. All of Texas but Austin is full of people like you, go on down to Austin and kick some of those candy asses in the tuchas.

:supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  14. mixflip

mixflip

Come out to the wide open west. Las Vegas is a 2 million pop. city surrounded by miles of open desert to play in with your guns or off road vehicles. Unlike Texas, we have mountains lol. You got Tahoe to the north. Utah to the east (Zion Nt park, Moab, Arches) and Arizona to the south (Grand Canyon, Phoenix) and LA & San Diego 4 hours to the west.

No state income tax!

Extremely low cost of living and probably the lowest price for big houses in America that isnt in the slums and has the Vegas strip/food/shows/concerts/entertainment just down the road. Brand new homes were built in 2008 and never got sold due to the bust and also lots of foreclosures to be bought under $100k.

Oh yeah and the gun laws! You can own machine guns, suppressors, SBR's etc etc. Theres probably 20 gun shops in Vegas so window shopping is always fun here. Shot Show, SEMA and CES is held here too! I go every year.

The only catch is you better have a good secure job lined up and the summer is pretty hot. You can live and play here on $50k a year easily.

15. yukon2004

yukon2004

x2 :)

16. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Leaving New England was literally the best thing I have ever done. Everything else is gravy.

17. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

I left Manhattan about 5 months ago and moved to Scottsdale, AZ...

My new wife and I just couldnt see raising a family in New York City and moving out here was the best decision ever. Have a place 3 times the size and the rent is about 70% less...

Do it!!!!!

18. econjon

econjon

I can't imagine paying property taxes that high...I'm out west and sorta freaked when I saw mine crept up to $1,100 last year! Btw, I'm on .5 acre 5 bedroom home.

Where I live is a bit of a technology hub so even now there are open tech jobs that pay close to national averages...all with lower than average cost of living.

19. HexHead

HexHead

TN has no state income tax.

20. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

I left MD for the free air of VA and never looked back. Rural but can still make a good living if you stay back from DC but not too far.

It was an exceptional winter, only a couple of dustings of snow, no accumulation and maybe two cold weeks in Jan and never got below 20.