close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

People that are Too Fat to Fly

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Oracle, Feb 15, 2010.

1. The Oracle

The Oracle

2. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I fail to find a compelling safety interest in expelling fat people from a plane. Comfort interest? Certainly.

Maybe someone could explain it to me.

3. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I think he paid for two seats and he knew he was too large to fit in only one.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/kevin-smith-fat-fly/story?id=9837268

Planes are cramped enough as they are without someone who is way too big to fit in one seat sitting right beside you and taking up YOUR seat too. If he now thinks he's not big enough to warrant two seats, then why did he purchase two?

4. vafish

vafish

I think I'd have to see the guy in a plane seat to make a decision. Also since his is a big movie director I'm assuming he was flying first class.

I've had a large passenger next to me lift up the arm rest between our seats and spill at least 1/3 of the way into my seat. I pushed the arm rest back down and glared at him.

If a passenger can't fit safely and comfortably into a single coach seat they need to pay for a 2nd seat.

5. vafish

vafish

Ever looked at the size of the doors on those emergency exits over the wing?

Ever seen a person so fat they can barely fit down the isle of the plane?

I'm not talking a few pounds over weight here, in the words of Gabrial Iglasias, when they get passed DAMN and into "Oh *** No!" it becomes a safety issue on the plane.

Another side of it from the airlines perspective is that it takes more fuel to keep more weight up in the air. In other words it costs more to fly a fat person than it does a little skinny person.

6. michael88

michael88

he says he fit, and a 10,000 dollar bet to back it up is pretty "hefty"...couldnt resist.

7. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

There is no first class on SW.

I fly a LOT and have been stuck next to someone who could not be contained in the seat they purchased, so they took a good chunk of the seat I purchased.

You take more than one seat, you pay for two. Sounds reasonable enough to me. :dunno:

8. vafish

vafish

That adds another kink to the story.

He knew he was too fat for one seat, paid for 2 seats, then tried to get on an earlier flight on standby and slipping into 1 seat.

9. The Oracle

The Oracle

...IMO anytime there is a commercial passenger situation wherein the passengers might be asked to exit the vehicle quickly, and an individual is so overweight that he/she cannot adequately move fast enough to exit the plane in a reasonably safe manner the safety of the other passengers is compromised,

...such overweight people should be required to sit near an exit so as to minimize the risk of their unreasonably fat body creating a "bottleneck" in the orderly procession of passengers exiting the plane in an emergency situation

...buying 2 seats does nothing to minimize this particular risk

10. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Yep. He paid for two seats, but wanted the earlier flight where only ONE seat was available. Now he wants to complain about it? Too bad. He lost all credibility by doing what he did and he doesn't have to be present for me to see whether or not he'd fit in one seat or not. He's all but admitted by his actions that he was too big to fit in one seat.

SW shouldn't have offered him anything.

11. silentpoet

silentpoet

Plenty of space in the cargo hold.

12. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

It shouldn't be about if he can fit in the seat or not... it should be can he efficiently use the emergency exits or not. They should have a wood cutout the same size as the smallest exit on the plane next to the box to check your carry-on. If you can't get through it you don't fly. You're a hazard to yourself and everyone else on the plane in the event of an evacuation.

Unless.... unless they set aside a "die" section. You would put obese and otherwise mobility impaired "exit failures" in this section of the plane and they would be barred from the exits until everyone else is out. Then they can go jam up the openings.

13. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Actually, they should be the furthest from the emergency exits.

Have you ever seen a fat person move quickly? No, they huff and puff and get nowhere. If they're infront of the exits no one is getting out.

15. Bucky69

Bucky69 True Gravity

Oprah comes to mind, first.

16. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

My wife works for an airline -- not as a flight attendant. She's heard stories about fatty passengers that barley fit into a single seat only to be extremely uncomfortable during the flight and have their rolls of fatness flow over into the next seat/passenger making them uncomfortable.

17. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

I agree. If Mr. Big Shot Director needs 2 seats, then he should wait for the later flight, or maybe next time rent a Mack truck to haul his fat ***.

18. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Why put the fat/slow person in front of everyone else, and in their way? If you know someone's bulk is gonna create a bottleneck situation, and if you're going to (somehow) impose mandatory seating regulations for chunky folk, why not put them as far away from the exit as possible, making them the last ones out?

19. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I think your space ends where mine begins.

20. farley45

farley45

All those slow moving seniors will be all over that kind of regulation.

It is not just the obese who cannot move quickly.