People selling GSSF pistol certificate?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Giggity-Giggity, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Hello, I was on another forum's marketplace and saw someone selling the GSSF discount coupon.

Is that unlawful per GSSF rules? If someone was to buy it, even though the coupon doesn't have the members' name, can ANYONE use the discount?

I find it interesting.

2. Tbone17

Tbone17 "Shootin Steel"

It looks like you are asking two different questions, or talking about two different certificate / coupon.
    You can sell a GSSF pistol certificate. They come with a bill of sale.
    You cannot sell your GSSF annual discount card for some else to use. Only good for the GSSF member on the card.
    That's my understanding.

3. njl

njl Crusty Member

Pistol certificate and discount coupon are totally different things. Certs are commonly sold for $400-$450. Is that about what was being asked?

4. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Sorry for the confusion on the two items. I don't know which is the other, because mine has my GSSF # on it.

The ad says, "For $475: I'm selling a certificate good for a free regular (.380/9mm/.40/.357 SIG) GLOCK pistol of your choice that I received recently from GSSF. The larger calibers (.45/10mm) can be had for a $66 upgrade fee, competition models can be had for a $107 upgrade fee, and .45 GAP models can be had for a $21 upgrade fee. It's good for Gen3, and Gen4 (if eligible) models, and night sights can be added to any of the above $57. The prize will ship directly from GLOCK, and expect it to take approximately 20 weeks before it arrives at your FFL. It is an out of state transfer, so the FFL fees apply accordingly, but there is no tax except on the upgrade fee."

5. Tbone17

Tbone17 "Shootin Steel"

That is a Glock certificate. They are legal to sell. They come with a bill of sale.

6. jerseyglock

jerseyglock

If you are the buyer, find out who will be getting the 1099 from Glock. Unless the seller already submitted tax return.

7. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye Arms Dealer

HaHa... That's actually my for sale ad from CGN unless someone else stole my write up.
    Is there something I can assist/clarify for you?

8. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Whoever won the prize certificate gets the 1099.

Whether the winner redeems the certificate him/herself or sells it is of no interest to GSSF or the IRS.

All GSSF has to know is that the winner has properly sold or otherwise transferred his or her interest in and to the certificate to another person whose name will then appear on the transfer paperwork for the firearm.

This is done by means of a 1/2 sheet of paper document that is stapled to every gun certificate for that express purpose.

As to the discount coupon, those may not be sold or transferred. They can only be used by whomever's name appears on it.

If for the sake of argument one was sold or transferred to someone else, any FFL one would take it to would not touch a gun sale based on a document that does not bear the gun buyer's name with a 10 foot pole.

That would be evidence of a "straw man sale" -- a Federal offense for everyone involved -- so no FFL would do one unless they were a lot stupider than anyone who qualifies for an FFL is likely to be..

Tbone17 likes this.
  9. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Yeah, I had to pay tax on $1500 because I won 3 Certificates in GSSF. Sold one to a friend for $250, but still had to pay tax on it. It's still income for the winner, whether he keeps the gun or sells it.

10. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye Arms Dealer

Hmmm...better accountant maybe?

My expenses far exceed my winnings in a given year. But then again, I'm not Dover either.

Good on you for selling one to a friend at a discount. I've given a few away to friends and family to help proliferate the love of the sport.

11. PM720

PM720

Where's mine? Don't I deserve one for all that driving? :(

Scott

12. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye Arms Dealer

What? I fixed your boost gauge and gave the interior of your car a complete rinse and didn't ask for a dime. I even paid you for gas. Don't be so selfish! ;P

PM720 likes this.