People say believe half of what you see....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MaxxAction, Sep 30, 2015.

1. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

And none of what you hear.

Yeah, it's a line from a song, but the thread about he transgender kid got me thinking: How in the hell do we know what to believe anymore?

Someone quoted a "scientific study" that said thus and so, in favor of childhood transgenderism. The problem is that there are aq huge number of studies that get retracted because they are all lies. It doesn't end there. Pretty much everything has been corrupted. The media, science, religion, government, and the list goes on.

So, you intellectuals, how do you decide what's true?

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Only if I feel it in my heart or on my........

3. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

No intellectual moi, I believe what I experience to be true, to me.

You do not believe me? I can live with that as I'm not running for office... and we all know they always speak the truth.

True?

Uh oh.

Perception and agreeing with my POV, you gotta be an intelligent man (or even an intelligent woman if that suits yer fancy). Disagree with me and... well, "He can't be a man cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarette as me. I can't get no. No no no. Hey hey hey. That's what Mick say." (and he's so rich he can't be wrong...) :)

I will admit to really liking DEVO's cover of same, not that it's germane to working in a coal mine. See? DEVO makes me non intellectual. Zappa is another matter altogether. You gotta be on top of your intellectual game to appreciate Frank.

YMMV

echofiveniner likes this.
  4. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

I see what you're saying...

but that isn't really what I mean. Perception can certainly be reality, but that is a personal matter. I guess I am seeking more of how people decipher the world today. How do you pick and choose what is true (science, religion, morality, etc) and disregard what isn't? Then, how do you know that what you chose to accept as truth is true? It gets deep pretty fast.

5. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

The answer to the question of "how do you know?" is education.

The other part of that is we cant know every thing about everything, hell it is hard to know a lot about a few things. I think one of the things holding back humanity is the fact that people form opinions and then act on those opinions on things they have no knowledge or understanding of. We all do it, but some far more than others.

Good luck.

BradD likes this.
  6. Rabbi

Also, while it might keep us from trying to fornicate with an ant bed or licking an electrical outlet, nothing dooms more people to a life of misery than their own heuristics. The second thing that makes peoples lives miserable is the things their parents told them because of their own heuristics.

The only way to get everything you ever wanted in life is to either not want much or realize you have to change the way you have been trying. Meaning you are programmed to fail. You have to accept that and reboot your way of thinking.

If you dont understand that, you are not ready yet. If you want to talk about exceptions, unless you already are one, you probably wont be.

7. BradD

BradD

Tremendous question. You'd need to make a serious study of philosophy to answer it well. Otherwise, do what everybody else does: go with your preconceptions and innate sensibilities.

8. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

You know...

I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the important things for the most part. I questioned a lot of things from a very early age, and managed to form my own opinions based on what I observed, empirically
    I guess.

The world seems different now, or maybe I just see it differently or deeper. Everywhere I look, someone is trying to **** my mind, and make me believe that I can't trust my own eyes, or what is in my heart. Up is down, darkness is light, bitter is sweet, etc, etc. Sometimes I just have to say: "WTF?"

9. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

What affects you/me personally, you(and I) know. From your/my POV. Rabbi, might see the same "thing" affecting you/me personally and have a different take on it from his perspective/bias/heuristic analysis and he'd be as right as you/me. Would he not?

If it is not a life or death matter and here and now present... does it truly matter much to your/my life? Maybe yes, maybe no. Three sides to every coin, shades of grey and all that.

10. tattooo

tattooo

People say alot of things.....lol

I usually dont listen

11. Rabbi

I would say it matters. If a person is using flawed methods to grind his way through life and form opinions, he is not having the best life he can...and he might be hurting others through flawed understanding dictating how he acts, votes, and raises his kids. The worst of that, is that person will probably feel good about how what he does works.

Again, we cause our own misery. You will live and die with that misery unless you can purge yourself of most of the things you know and learn a better way. Most people never do that. They are holding on to their feelings as being far more important than understanding new facts.

Some never even bother to change anything about themselves. I struggle with this issue very day, which means at least I am trying.

12. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Always question and search for the answer.

13. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

Common sense can go a long way

14. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Commons sense does not seem to be a laudable trait these days.

15. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Common sense eh?

Communal(ist?) Social Sense vs. Individual Selfish Sense seems to be the order of the day and is too common perhaps. Perchance for good cause.

Being bombarded by propaganda hourly gets old fast and makes the mind wonder (or should), left?, right?, middle of the road?, where IS this road taking me?

For some reason, last night thinking of this thread, I looked into "Duality of Man" (reference Kubrick's FMJ)... and had to ask myself, where is the truth within me and why do I question it so? My self imposed ignorance is overwhelming at times, so I tend to revert to the K.I.S.S. theory and just try to get through each day, wondering... Am I right? OR am I wrong? Both? Neither? (shades of grey again)

Hahaha... who knows? Or cares? Besides me?

16. NMG26

NMG26

What you don't know, can't hurt you.

Seems like an old saying that is a super fail.

Philosophically it works for certain things like............was that really a chick?

17. tattooo

tattooo

Yep....every time I didn't know something I got screwed....
    Being the last to know sucks

18. echofiveniner

echofiveniner Gunsmith | Certified Glock Armor

That's usually good advice. Ultimately, you have to just do the best with the information you have. Perception certainly does influence reality, but who's to say who is right? The problem with philosophical discussions is you could end up going in circles trying to justify something. I just stick to what I can logically explain, though, the reality is that logic relies on premises as well, so that doesn't always work out either...

19. 2bgop

2bgop

My entire life is trying to convince people of things and predict, on a macro scale, behavior. The single most important thing I see people struggle with is understanding their personal feelings are not a representative of society as a whole.

When people see a poll that is similar to the way they feel, it is a legitimate poll. If the poll is substantially differing from their view, it is somehow manipulated to get those results. I see this every day.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  20. Deltic

Deltic

Who was it that said common sense is so rare it should be considered a super power?