close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

People keep telling me- Dont get married.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tbhracing, Feb 16, 2010.

1. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Yesterday the Carpet Cleaning guy was here and after the job was done, commented on my "bachelor pad" and said "living the single life has to be great". I have had a few other people make similar comments lately.

My parents have been married over 40 years and I support the idea of a life partner and the institution. But more and more people (men and women) keep saying to pass on the idea of getting married. Personally I consider a bad business decision, but not totally out on the idea

I had to post something on it, anyone side with the Carpet Cleaning Guy and the others?

2. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

A good pre-nup and some offshore bank accounts will ease your worries. :)

3. Nessy

Nessy NRA Benefactor

I like the idea of a committed relationship, but I also like the voluntary aspect of it. Marriage introduces a major penalty. If you leave, it's gonna cost you.

4. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I gotta ask- How good are these off shore accounts?

5. doktor doom

doktor doom

I would say "don't get married-TO THE WRONG PERSON."

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

People are selfish. It's that simple. Selfish and alone sucks at 65.

7. Pete14

Pete14

I have been married 23 years and wouldn't have it any other way but each to his own.

8. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I'm no expert but I believe people shouldn't rush into marriage.

9. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I know very few people who are totally happy in their marriage. Since what people desire in a partner changes as one goes through the different stages of their life...it is almost impossible to find a person who you will find equally desirable in every stage. In essence...what you look for in a dating relationship in your 20s is quite different than what you want in a partner to raise children, empty nest, or keep you company in retirement. The person you found so attractive at one stage ends up as a big disappointment in another stage.

10. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I also agree you shouldn't rush into marriage. you really need to make sure it's the right person. I will be married 10 years this May and wouldn't trade it for anything. Was it easy? Mostly, yes, but we have sure had our share of bumps in the road.

Greg

11. oly884

oly884

This sums it up nicely:

Relationships, marriage, etc can be a great thing with the right person. What I advise people not to do is want to be married or in a relationship so bad, that they start making exceptions about what they think "is the right person"

That's where trouble starts. Don't settle for anything but the best and hope it works out. I come from the side of being a person wanting to be in a relationship, and it didn't turn out good. So, I adopted the mentality that I'm simply not going to settle for a chick just because they are interested in me and wait to find someone that I can genuinely enjoy as a friend among other things.

And if that doesn't happen, then so be it, it's not going to stop me from enjoying my life!

12. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

It all depends on the Woman you marry. If she is lazy but pretty, guess what you will get tired of her lazy ***!

If she is industrious, hard working, smart but ugly, well, you do not want to come home to the swamp thing every night.

You have to find a middle ground of a woman. If she wants a big wedding, a big ring, etc, yeah she will be a PITA for you.

If you find a woman who just loves you and is willing to share life's ups and downs along the way, she might be the one.

13. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Good postings so far. I think its just funny that complete strangers will tell other strangers the same advice.

14. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I wouldn't know, I'm broke! :tongueout:

15. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Plus the wedding and ring costs a fortune.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Just a greener pasture thing.......

17. skorper

skorper harborrat

I had a good buddy who was getting married to a woman who was a total PITA. He told me he was in love with her but he sort of knew that it would end badly. He wanted to marry her anyway. I told him that it would be a mistake to marry her.

He ended up telling her that I told him that he was making a mistake by marrying her. This was said during some sort of argument.

She absolutely hated me from that day. They are divorced now and she still hates me. I don't really care, but with a number of mutal friends it can make for some complications. She will badmouth me until the day she dies. I guess I'll have to live with it.

Some things are better left unsaid.

18. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I look back on it (and so does my wife...she says anyway) and we really wish we would have gone the less expensive route. We could've put down a nice chunk of change on a new house with what our wedding and her ring cost us.

Greg

19. okie

okie GT Mayor

You gotta be careful my friend,I've seen a lot of marriages go bad and the husband got screwed:shocked::faint:

20. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Yeah Greg, my wife and I got married when we were 30, well I was. We took one look at her list for the wedding and it was 350 people, screw that. I said, "let's buy a house and elope" So we pissed off the parents and told them the plan, invited them to join us as we would be getting married at sunset on the beach in Cabo on a Wednesday. That way everyone could do their thing, come early or stay late and the wedding plus 20 guests, drinks dinner and hotel only cost us 6 grand, and we bought a 2400sf brand new home. Worked for us.