close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

People in movie theaters

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Retseh, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Retseh

Retseh

Went out and caught the late showing of Avatar last night with the wife, started at 10.45 so there were mostly 20 somethings and above attending. As the movie progressed I couldn't help but notice that a significant number of people were laughing at scenes of death or violence, scenes that were supposed to have the opposite effect on the audience.

For those who have seen the movie, think of the part where the Na'vi are being blown to pieces, people were laughing at that.

My wife kept whispering "what's wrong with these people?" and I had to agree it was odd, even disturbing.

Anyone ever notice the same thing?

2. farley45

farley45

I saw the same movie last night, nobody was laughing at those scenes where I was at.

3. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Yeah, we noticed the same thing, although we also heard a couple of young kids crying, and one cried out "They're all getting kiiiiiilllllleeeeeddddd!!"

It was our mistake for going to see Avatar when it is still fresh in the theater- usually we go to see a movie when it is almost about to be taken out, so that we can sit with the least amount of people possible.

It's very easy to see why Elvis would sometimes buy every ticket in the house so he could have the movie to himself.

4. Retseh

Retseh

We need to start doing that too.

As we walked back to the car we couldn't help but wonder if a lot of people are completely de-sensitized to violence.

5. hi480volts

hi480volts

It's very easy to see why Elvis would sometimes buy every ticket in the house so he could have the movie to himself.

That would be cool to do. I was easier when tickets cost a quarter. Wonder what the actual cost would be today?

6. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

Spoiler

7. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Its funny to people who have no idea what it actually means. These people are the same ones who have end this War on the bumpers.

I can see the indian undertones of the movie. Then you have people complaining about the movie having this. So, I must then say. Was it right what the settlers did?

If so, do a search for "The Trail of Tears" Not saying life is fair. But, I would have thought a better way could have been taken. Thats all.

Overall I liked the movie. Was expecting not to.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  8. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

ditto.

9. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Desensitization from reality. This is the result of years of exposure to violence on TV and movies with no tangible reality to base it on. The deaths that do happen in real life have no impact since many of these ****** bags are not affected by it. Another source of desensitization of course... video games.

Now I am not saying that the media and games are 100% of the problem, but they are a significant factor in it. I am also not saying ban or restrict those type of media. But what I am saying is people are no longer in touch with life or death in a real sense.

Another source is the disconnect from where their food comes from. Those of us that have grown up on farms/ranches or been exposed to them or have hunted, understand the true finality of death. When a people are disconnected from their food source as Americans are, they lose perspective on the true value of life.

It's also an indicator of the over all mental health in this nation. Generally sociopaths tend to exhibit this kind of behavior trait. Taking pleasure in others pain and demise, be it real or not. And with how Americans are treating each other and as we become socially more disconnected from real interaction, the more these psychopathic tendencies will arise.

Many sources to the problem, no easy solution or answer... just watch your 6 and don't expect help from your neighbor when things go bad.

10. RF7126

RF7126

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. A friend of mine can watch movies like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Hostel" and completely enjoy it, laughing and saying "that's cool!". Maybe it's his defense mechanism, but why even watch it? It just pi**es me off to watch those.

11. Trigun

Trigun

I haven't seen the movie yet. But there are times when movies have violence that is so over the top that it elicits laughter. A lot of people have also complained that they felt like they were watching cartoons and so that can be hard to take seriously. Plus the movie is said to be heavy handed and hacky with its messages so that disrupts the movie experience for some as well. If a movie keeps knocking part of it's audience out of the story with absurdity then you can get some odd reactions. Hell, anytime the CGI is noticeable I lose interest in the movie. I tried to watch Lord Of The Rings and thought it was boring and stupid. Mainly because it broke out into cartoons way too often. I thought Hollywood told a better story when they only had puppets. Yoda went from being a realistic looking creature that had shadows and reflected light properly to a CGI glow in the dark cartoon who's skin moved like fluid. Somehow that is considered progress.

But all that said, generally the movie audiences have gotten more obnoxious, selfish, and loud over time while the theaters are willing to do less to keep them under control.

12. MedicOni

MedicOni

A lot of us like good sfx and some more of people my age are fond of anything bloody. I know I am.

13. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

If I want to see a movie bad enough to not wait until it drops on DVD, I will see it during the afternoon of a weekday. People can be so inconsiderate.

I used to sit in the second from last row, since the very last row seats do not recline. So here I am enjoying the movie when 30 minutes into it somebody comes along and sits directly behind me (plenty of other seats in that row) and he is eating potato chips, out of the friggin' bag! :steamed:

I learned my lesson. Now I sit in the last row. If I want to recline, I'll move once I feel it's safe from the Potato Chip Man.

14. arclight610

arclight610

Because alot of us 20-somethings have seen it for real, and know there is a big difference between the movies and real-life.

Edit: By the way, Avatar was a great movie. I saw it in 3d and I might actually by it on DVD. I never buy movies on DVD.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  15. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Sounds like a bunch of 20 somethings trying to show how cool thry are.

16. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Because of rowdy kids and imports I haven't been in a movie house in 20 years. Tried every trick mentioned above but got tired of it all.

Seems that's why home TV's are getting so large, one can have a movie experience in the privacy of their home. Plus a little Microwave Movie popcorn or candy and wa-laa!

We haven't arrived at the big TV and all that yet. But do enjoy the movies of TCM as mostly they are well written, acted and of an era that blood, guts and raw sex/language was still a couple decades into the future.:whistling:

17. ParaBear

ParaBear

I've heard Avatar described as "Dances With Smurfs". Those damn, ruthless, greedy, Whi...er, Earthmen!:supergrin:

18. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

I noticed this "exact" same thing when in Washington DC on business last month.. I live in Texas)..

I went to see Inglorious Basterds at the D.C. Chinatown Theater ( a real nice theater ).

Some of the scenes in that movie were "disturbing" to say the least, like when the "Bear Jew" beats the German to death with a baseball bat, smashing his skull into a pulp.

I knew it wasn't real, and I almost wanted to look away.

All over the theater is "hysterical" laughter...as if this is funny.

The same thing for the forehead-carving scenes. They were so realistic, I could almost believe they were real.

And again, "laughter" all over the theater.. I was shocked, and was wondering why everyone was laughing..?

Even though I know each generation of parents says "kids nowadays are worse than we were".....I REALLY BELIEVE THIS IS TRUE NOW.

They are de-sensitized to violence imho, don't have the same morals we have, don't have the same sense of patriotism we had etc…

I also believe, although the US has been changing for years, the last 15-20 have been the quickest/fastest change for the negative. An influx of extreme violence and sexuality on the television, along with instant-access to graphic real violence (Ogrish Etc) on the internet for entertainment and any kind of extreme perversion or sexuality, just a mouse click away.

They are shielded from NOTHING, and de-sensitized to EVERYTHING.

24 years ago, (1986) when I entered high school, my life wasn't much different from what my parents and possibly grand-parents lives were like when they were young.

As a younger youth, we went out and played (all day until sunset), only watched TV on weekend mornings for Cartoons, and Sunday night for Walt Disney World.

All I was allowed to watch on TV was cartoons, re-runs of Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Flipper, Gentle Ben etc. Everything else was garbage, according to my parents, and we weren’t allowed to watch it.

We didn't sit around watching TV all day long, we didn't have internet, we didn’t have I-Phones, we didn’t “SEXT” with our sell phones, girls didn’t send us nude photos on our cell phones to distribute to all of our friends etc..

I REALLY, REALLY fear for my youngest daughter (10 yrs old) in this country and in this world.

I absolutely hate the religious ideology of the muslims, and their desire to “convert” the world to Islam, but I do see where they’re coming from when they say the Western World is the root of all evil. We may not be the root, but we are a HUGE contributor.

I am becoming increasingly sickened by what we have become, and more specifically what our youth have become. I don’t know what to do about it however, and fear there is no turning back.

I don’t know where I was going with this post, but the original poster struck a nerve, and I felt compelled to share how I feel..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  19. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Sounds like the drunks were watching with you.