close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

People coming into class late...Rude? Would you be upset?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Mar 17, 2010.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I go to a small college where classes range from 25-35 students.
    Every class I have this semester, the same people are routinely late. Let's say class starts at noon? 12:15 people come in and make that same "eep" look on their face like they're just trying to get to their seat.

Once in a while, everybody is late. But the same people are late all the time.
    It's distracting when you're trying to learn and somebody is fiddling with all their stuff, getting their books out.

In one class I had, the same guy would be routinely about 20-25 minutes late and it was funny to him. I'm the kind of person who tries to ignore others, but this is getting seriously annoying.

Today, a professor from another class wanted to share info for us, and people kept walking in late, walking directly by him and sitting down like it wasn't a problem.

Should I say something to these people as they come in? To the prof, asking them to just lock the door when the hour starts?

2. Swanny

Swanny Raconteur

The professor should set the tone and make an example out of someone. I had a professor for a large (200+ student) undergraduate class who would stop lectures just to point out people that walked in late. Needless to say, after that happened a few times, if people were late, they just didn't come to class.

3. timbob

timbob

Having spent quite a bit of time living in Van., B.C.; as an American, I would say yeah, go ahead and be an up-tight weenie and get upset, even express your discontent with the Professor (he'd love for you to inform him of something is oblivious to) and he might give you the hall monitor badge. Every high school college needs one.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

It's the professor's call. HH

5. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

They lock the classroom door where my wife attends. If you’re late, you have to wait until the break to get in the room. Their stated policy for this is because of mad gunmen on campus.

6. Just1More

Just1More

Some people like to draw attention to themselves. Coming to class late makes them look important. These are the same people who will look to see if your looking at them while on a cellphone. They're cool.

7. NorthCarolinaLiberty

I see good reasons to discuss it with the professor. You are paying for the class. It's your money. The professor has an obligation to create a good learning atmosphere. I would tell the professor if it bothered me, but I have a big mouth anyway.

8. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I'm trying to concentrate, not being a dick.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. timbob

timbob

Very true. The only reason I wouldn't echo this same sentiment is that I have am of the opinion that a person so easily distracted or preoccupied with the punctuality of others has more personal concerns to address.

10. implexant

implexant

Interesting you should bring this up, I skipped one of my classes today rather than be late. I'm a Senior Accounting major studying at a University in the South East.

My school is a liberal arts private University and has an attendance/late policy that covers the entire undergraduate population. If you're late to class three times, it counts as an absence. You're allowed to be absent from a class 4 times for a three credit class that meets three times a week, and 3 times for a class that meets twice a week (75 minute class). After going over your absences, you're withdrawn from the class. Very few exceptions are made.

Some teachers even add academic penalties if you miss a class. I have one professor in a 500 level accounting class I'm taking that docks your semester grade 3% for any more than one unexplained absence (he counts two lates as an absence). He makes exceptions for interviews and emergencies only. No "I got up late."

Personally, I like the system. If we have people walking in late, they usually just sit in the back and try to be quite. And they don't do it often because the risk is so high.

I think it's important to show respect for professors but leave some room for adults to make decisions. Like today I had to skip a class in order to get a presentation printed for an afternoon class. It was a decision I made. I can afford to do that once or twice a semester, but I have to plan. That's part of the undergraduate education. After all, more than one, maybe two lates in a 3-month period at a corporate job will get you on the fast track to unemployment or at the very least, a stagnant position.

-Chris

11. timbob

timbob

The only thing that truly disturbs my concentration is if I'm coding and a person directly interacts with me.

You're ultimately going to find that your work environment (more than likely) affords you far fewer opportunities for absolute, uninterrupted concentration.

12. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

I studied in Belgium and student were expected to be on time. The Students from Spain (and a few other certain countries) were always late to class. I haven't studied in Spain so I don't know if it's common there but it sure seemed that way. I think they might have been late because of the language they couldn't get much from the lectures but figured they should at least make a showing.

I guess being late isn't as rude as having a pizza delivered to class but if you are going to do that, a noon class would the one. I never heard of a noon class. Is lunch in Canada at 1:00 pm?

13. timbob

timbob

Better hope you can always work in a distraction-free environment with only one or two people in your immediate vicinity...

..zZZ

14. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ya i did have a class that i was late to every time,

and i talked to the professor and he was okay with it every time ,

and another class the professor said absolutely no leaving early,

i left early .. after i talked to him,

and i had a legit reason all the time

15. NorthCarolinaLiberty

I see what you mean. One example is those cubicles in offices. Some offices are really distracting. You could also say though, that more distractions lead to less work being done. I guess I just try to minimize those distractions.

16. MoJo33

MoJo33

It depends. Is it a community college or a university? I teach at a community college and I treat my night students differently than my day students. The night students are adults and they do show up late at times but I figure it is for a good reason, plus they are paying for the class so if they want to be late it is their call however I ask that they be quite and not interrupt the rest of the class as they too have paid to be there. For the most part they listen and it is a rare problem.

The day students are however are another story, they are usually kids and require more whip cracking. I have no problem asking someone to please be quiet, but at the same time you can't belittle anyone in front of others. (University is a different story)

It is a difficult line a professor has to walk now a days, and it is difficult to define what is considered appropriate chastising and what is over the line. If it really bothers you, you should speak to the professor and see if he/she can say something to the other students like "if you are going to come in late please be quite and respectful to the other students." Or better yet have a T-shirt made with that saying on it. I actually had a student who could not remember the quadratic equation and so made a T-shirt with it on the front and back.

I find that as you move up in class level, these jokers are more rare as they have a tendency to not pass.

17. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Rises and falls on leadership,,, yes I mean the professor

I had a class "bagged" (i.e., the vernacular back in the day if you knew you would receive an A) when I first enrolled in college, but the Professor would not budge on the attendance requirement and I received a -B.- Why? I missed enough classes to have my -A- grade dropped by one level and it was recorded as a -B.-

I had a Professor that would lock the door at the time annotated as the start time for class on the schedule. You just went to the lab or back home if you were late for his class because there was no getting in after he locked the door.

Set the bar for students and they will raise or lower themselves to it... it matters not if it is High School or higher academia.

18. Peace Warrior

Hear hear!!! :thumbsup:

The money spent by a student (or his parents) is as important as the contract the Professor has with each of his students. It is a symbiotic relationship.

19. Peace Warrior

I witnessed a pizza being delivered for a Professor once... I wasn't in the class, but it was the Professor's birthday and any student he had knew of his affinity for a certain "make and model" of pizza.

Wow... hadn't thought of that in years!

20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I had one class that it was not possible to get to from work on time. (ok very rare) I talked to prof and he said he didn't mind. I would just grab a seat by door (thankfully they had doors in back)
    Then again the comment I always got was "when did you get here?" (not only at classes but most everywhere) Folks always said I "appeared, disappeared" without notice. (and I am NOT a small person)
    Many of the folks (like said) WANT the attention. Personally I HATE being late... Which is a sore point with my wife. For 20 yrs she got to work (Air Force) early morning. But she can't get to church by 10am... (or most anywhere else) If we fly I have to allow another hr for her not being ready. I even left her when it was a hr AFTER the time SHE SET. (this was 800+ miles from home) She caught up to me after a hr. (Another gal was going with us who likes to drive well over speed limit)
    I TRY not to let it raise my BP. Suggest you do the same. The Profs I had said "you are paying for a education. If you don't show up its YOUR money"