Glock Talk banner

People are crazy on eBay

3K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  Glocks&Ducs 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted an extra toolhead for the 550b and some extra small primer fillup tubes. Thought I'd check to see if there was anything on ebay. Sure was.

The toolheads had been bid up past what they cost new from Dillon (with still a few hours to go on the auction. Same with the primer pickup tubes.

Simply amazing.

I went to the Dillon site, and ordered direct and saved a few bucks.

(edit) Just checked the completed listings for 550b toolheads. All but one went for more than Dillon is selling them new for. Only ONE sold for less ($16.50), and that's only a savings of 45 cents if you buy 3 or more from Dillon. Is it gouging when people are fighting to pay more than MSRP?

#2 ·
I have found the same thing. I have enough stuff to be able to set up a Lee1000 for an additional caliber. I wanted to find a cheap one used, maybe with missing parts etc and they have junkers for more than new complete ones. Go figyuh.

#6 ·
I was amazed too. I was looking for a second 550, even if it was missing stuff so I could leave one set for sp and one for large. I can order a whole new one from dillon shipped for less then e-bay! people get sucked in and they can't "loose" so they bid and bid.

#9 ·
It's like that with everything on ebay. You can get some real deals if you know what you're doing. I have bought a lot of new or like new things like digital cameras on ebay. You just have to know what they go for new and what a bargain price would be. Some people don't know where to go for stuff like Dillon. Ebay is a great place. You just have to know what you're doing and who you are buying from.

#11 ·
I hadn't looked for reloading stuff on e-bay. They are pretty crazy on the Lee prices.

A Lee Pro 1000 press is $159 at Midway, cheapest on E-bay was $169 with most of them $199 or more.

#12 ·
When I bid on flea-bay I already know the new price is and keep my bid below that with shipping in the price.Seems to me there are a lot of people with more money to spend then I have.What I think of these folks I will not put in print.
+1 And it's so easy to find out the price of something new. There are times I want to email the bidder and tell them you can get it new for less direct from the vendor; but then I remember when someone overpays for the stuff I put out there. Hey, it's an auction and it goes to the highest bidder; no matter how crazy they are.

Seems like people get into bidding and go nuts when the red mist appears.

#15 ·
Ebay is good for alot of things, but reloading equipment on there is outrageous...

Alex
I agree... I'm convinced people are making multiple user accounts to push their price up to where they want it. Like was said above, I've saw 550's going for quite a bit more than what they are new from Dillon.

#20 ·
Ebay is not PayPal only! You can still write a check. Call the seller with a card number etc.
Just use common sense. No one is forcing you to use Ebay. If its not a good deal don't buy, if it is then buy. Simple!
You can try; but if you put anything about call for price, credit cards, money orders, etc, ebay will cancel the auction (DAMHIKT). They look for telltale words that indicate that you are trying to bypass paypal. When you put something up for auction; you agree to their rules (which now include paypal as the funding source) or you don't list it. I'm not a big fan of paypal since I want the cash, and paypal charges you to get the cash out unless you have additional services with them.

eBay is using paypal to generate additional revenue for themselves (sort of like Hazmat fees and shippers).

I like it for buying; but not for selling.

#22 ·
eBay is using paypal to generate additional revenue for themselves (sort of like Hazmat fees and shippers)..
Except that hazmat shipping is regulated by the federal govt, so its not just an extra revenue source for the shipper... They HAVE to do it.

IGF

#25 ·
Strange, I'm not Catholic, but they would still sell to me. :dunno:

I don't know why people have so much fear and loathing for PayPal. Sure, it's not perfect, but still way easier and safer than mailing a money order.

paypal is prob the thing I like the most it is so easy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.