Pentium 4 vs. Pentium M

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by atlp99, Sep 12, 2005.

1. atlp99

atlp99

What is the difference between the Pentium 4 with hyper threading tech and the Pentium M with Centrion mobile tech? I am looking to buy a laptop in the $900- $1000 range. the 2 I am trying to decide between one (Gateway) runs a Pentium 4 and the other (Sony) runs a Pentium M. Is there an advantage or drawback to either processor, or is one a better brand. Prices are close enough to not be an issue.
    Thanks Everyone.

2. pyblood

pyblood

I like both processors. The Pentium M processors are attractive because of their long battery life. The Pentium 4 processors are attractive for their pure horsepower. Don’t get me wrong, the Pentium M processors are not “weak” processors. I think that they both have their place. If it were me, I would probably get the Pentium M processor, because those laptops usually have long battery lives.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The Pentium M allows for longer battery life.The Pentium M also is a better CPU when both have the same clock speed.The Pentium 4 is only more powerful when it has a much higher clock speed but this causes much more heat and shorter battery life.