close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pentecost

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by FCoulter, May 25, 2012.

1. FCoulter

FCoulter

As the sun will be setting soon I want to wish you all a Happy Sabbath, as the Sabbath ends Sat. Night another Sabbath will begin, this Sabbath is one of Gods annual Sabbaths. Pentecost.

Enjoy

2. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Acts 2:

" When the day of Pentecost <sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> came, they were all together <sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> in one place. <sup class="versenum">2 </sup>Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. <sup class="crossreference" value='(C)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">3 </sup>They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. <sup class="versenum">4 </sup>All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit <sup class="crossreference" value='(D)'></sup> and began to speak in other tongues<sup class="footnote" value='[a]'>[a]</sup> <sup class="crossreference" value='(E)'></sup> as the Spirit enabled them.
    <sup class="versenum">5 </sup>Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing <sup class="crossreference" value='(F)'></sup> Jews from every nation under heaven. <sup class="versenum">6 </sup>When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. <sup class="versenum">7 </sup>Utterly amazed, <sup class="crossreference" value='(G)'></sup> they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? <sup class="crossreference" value='(H)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">8 </sup>Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? <sup class="versenum">9 </sup>Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, <sup class="crossreference" value='(I)'></sup> Pontus <sup class="crossreference" value='(J)'></sup> and Asia,<sup class="footnote" value='[b]'>[b]</sup> <sup class="crossreference" value='(K)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">10 </sup>Phrygia <sup class="crossreference" value='(L)'></sup> and Pamphylia, <sup class="crossreference" value='(M)'></sup> Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; <sup class="crossreference" value='(N)'></sup> visitors from Rome <sup class="versenum">11 </sup>(both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” <sup class="versenum">12 </sup>Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

<sup class="versenum">13 </sup>Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.” <sup class="crossreference" value='(O)'></sup>

Peter Addresses the Crowd

<sup class="versenum">14 </sup>Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. <sup class="versenum">15 </sup>These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! <sup class="crossreference" value='(P)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">16 </sup>No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

<sup class="versenum">17 </sup>“‘In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people. <sup class="crossreference" value='(Q)'></sup>
    Your sons and daughters will prophesy, <sup class="crossreference" value='(R)'></sup>
    your young men will see visions,
    your old men will dream dreams.
    <sup class="versenum">18 </sup>Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
    and they will prophesy. <sup class="crossreference" value='(S)'></sup>
    <sup class="versenum">19 </sup>I will show wonders in the heavens above
    and signs on the earth below, <sup class="crossreference" value='(T)'></sup>
    blood and fire and billows of smoke.
    <sup class="versenum">20 </sup>The sun will be turned to darkness
    and the moon to blood <sup class="crossreference" value='(U)'></sup>
    before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
    <sup class="versenum">21 </sup>And everyone who calls
    on the name of the Lord <sup class="crossreference" value='(V)'></sup> will be saved.’<sup class="footnote" value='[c]'>[c]</sup> <sup class="crossreference" value='(W)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">22 </sup>“Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth <sup class="crossreference" value='(X)'></sup> was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, <sup class="crossreference" value='(Y)'></sup> which God did among you through him, <sup class="crossreference" value='(Z)'></sup> as you yourselves know. <sup class="versenum">23 </sup>This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; <sup class="crossreference" value='(AA)'></sup> and you, with the help of wicked men,<sup class="footnote" value='[d]'>[d]</sup> put him to death by nailing him to the cross. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AB)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">24 </sup>But God raised him from the dead, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AC)'></sup> freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AD)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">25 </sup>David said about him:
    “‘I saw the Lord always before me.
    Because he is at my right hand,
    I will not be shaken.
    <sup class="versenum">26 </sup>Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest in hope,
    <sup class="versenum">27 </sup>because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    you will not let your holy one see decay. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AE)'></sup>
    <sup class="versenum">28 </sup>You have made known to me the paths of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence.’<sup class="footnote" value='[e]'>[e]</sup> <sup class="crossreference" value='(AF)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">29 </sup>“Fellow Israelites, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AG)'></sup> I can tell you confidently that the patriarch <sup class="crossreference" value='(AH)'></sup> David died and was buried, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AI)'></sup> and his tomb is here <sup class="crossreference" value='(AJ)'></sup> to this day. <sup class="versenum">30 </sup>But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AK)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">31 </sup>Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AL)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">32 </sup>God has raised this Jesus to life, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AM)'></sup> and we are all witnesses <sup class="crossreference" value='(AN)'></sup> of it. <sup class="versenum">33 </sup>Exalted <sup class="crossreference" value='(AO)'></sup> to the right hand of God, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AP)'></sup> he has received from the Father <sup class="crossreference" value='(AQ)'></sup> the promised Holy Spirit <sup class="crossreference" value='(AR)'></sup> and has poured out <sup class="crossreference" value='(AS)'></sup> what you now see and hear. <sup class="versenum">34 </sup>For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,
    “‘The Lord said to my Lord:
    “Sit at my right hand
    <sup class="versenum">35 </sup>until I make your enemies
    a footstool for your feet.”’<sup class="footnote" value='[f]'>[f]</sup> <sup class="crossreference" value='(AT)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">36 </sup>“Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord <sup class="crossreference" value='(AU)'></sup> and Messiah.” <sup class="crossreference" value='(AV)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">37 </sup>When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” <sup class="crossreference" value='(AW)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">38 </sup>Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AX)'></sup> every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AY)'></sup> And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AZ)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">39 </sup>The promise is for you and your children <sup class="crossreference" value='(BA)'></sup> and for all who are far off <sup class="crossreference" value='(BB)'></sup> —for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

<sup class="versenum">40 </sup>With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” <sup class="crossreference" value='(BC)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">41 </sup>Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number <sup class="crossreference" value='(BD)'></sup> that day.

The Fellowship of the Believers

<sup class="versenum">42 </sup>They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching <sup class="crossreference" value='(BE)'></sup> and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread <sup class="crossreference" value='(BF)'></sup> and to prayer. <sup class="crossreference" value='(BG)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">43 </sup>Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. <sup class="crossreference" value='(BH)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">44 </sup>All the believers were together and had everything in common. <sup class="crossreference" value='(BI)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">45 </sup>They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. <sup class="crossreference" value='(BJ)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">46 </sup>Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. <sup class="crossreference" value='(BK)'></sup> They broke bread <sup class="crossreference" value='(BL)'></sup> in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, <sup class="versenum">47 </sup>praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. <sup class="crossreference" value='(BM)'></sup> And the Lord added to their number <sup class="crossreference" value='(BN)'></sup> daily those who were being saved."

This action was fulfilled in Acts 2 as predicted by Jesus:

John 14:15-25, "If you love me, keep my commands. <sup class="crossreference" value='(V)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">16 </sup>And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate <sup class="crossreference" value='(W)'></sup> to help you and be with you forever— <sup class="versenum">17 </sup>the Spirit of truth. <sup class="crossreference" value='(X)'></sup> The world cannot accept him, <sup class="crossreference" value='(Y)'></sup> because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be<sup class="footnote" value='[c]'>[c]</sup> in you. <sup class="versenum">18 </sup>I will not leave you as orphans; <sup class="crossreference" value='(Z)'></sup> I will come to you. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AA)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">19 </sup>Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AB)'></sup> Because I live, you also will live. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AC)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">20 </sup>On that day <sup class="crossreference" value='(AD)'></sup> you will realize that I am in my Father, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AE)'></sup> and you are in me, and I am in you. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AF)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">21 </sup>Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AG)'></sup> The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AH)'></sup> and I too will love them and show myself to them
    <sup class="versenum">22 </sup>Then Judas <sup class="crossreference" value='(AI)'></sup> (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?” <sup class="crossreference" value='(AJ)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">23 </sup>Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AK)'></sup> My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AL)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">24 </sup>Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AM)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">25 </sup>“All this I have spoken while still with you.<sup class="versenum">26 </sup>But the Advocate, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AN)'></sup> the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AO)'></sup> will teach you all things <sup class="crossreference" value='(AP)'></sup> and will remind you of everything I have said to you. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AQ)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">27 </sup>Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AR)'></sup> I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled <sup class="crossreference" value='(AS)'></sup> and do not be afraid."

John 15:26, "When the Advocate <sup class="crossreference" value='(AL)'></sup> comes, whom I will send to you from the Father <sup class="crossreference" value='(AM)'></sup> —the Spirit of truth <sup class="crossreference" value='(AN)'></sup> who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. <sup class="crossreference" value='(AO)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">27 </sup>And you also must testify, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AP)'></sup> for you have been with me from the beginning."

John 16:7, "But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate <sup class="crossreference" value='(K)'></sup> will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you."

So, you are right about the weekly Sabbath arriving, but you missed Pentecost's fulfillment nearly 2,000 years ago.

3. FCoulter

FCoulter

I hope everyone is having. Blessed Pentecost.

4. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

Well, I for one am eagerly awaiting the latter rains.

5. FCoulter

FCoulter

So do you keep Pentecost now?

6. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

Absolutely.

Col 2:16 Let no one therefore judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths &#8211;
    Col 2:17 which are a shadow of what is to come &#8211; but the Body of the Messiah.

Jer 5:24 &#8216;And they do not say in their heart, &#8220;Let us now fear &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1492; our Elohim, who gives rain, both the former and the latter, in its season. He guards for us the appointed weeks of the harvest.&#8221;

Hos 6:2 &#8216;After two days He shall revive us, on the third day He shall raise us up, so that we live before Him.
    Hos 6:3 &#8216;So let us know, let us pursue to know &#1497;&#1492;&#1493;&#1492;. His going forth is as certain as the morning. And He comes to us like the rain, like the latter rain watering the earth.&#8217;

7. Kingarthurhk

Out of curiousity, why do you judge those of us harshly who do not?

8. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

I don't.

But that doesn't mean I won't tell you you're wrong.

9. FCoulter

FCoulter

What I dont understand is they keep the 10 commandments fro ex. 20 and stop reading there. Ifbthey would continue to readvthe conv. They would see in ex.23 along with the 10 commandments God says to keep the other Sabbaths ie. Holy Days.

Picking and choosing at its best.

10. Kingarthurhk

Well, what I don't understand, if if you feel that way, why aren't making a sin offering, and taking your criminal disputes to the Elders outside your city gates?

11. FCoulter

FCoulter

Have you read exodus chapter 19-24?

12. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

Me too, my grass is dying. I'd settle for some early rains.

13. Kingarthurhk

Yes, my point is that you are cherry picking, while demanding to know why everyone else is cherry picking. Clearly, there is a disntiction between the moral law, ceremonial law, and civil law.

14. FCoulter

FCoulter

Let me explain what you keep choosing to ignore. It starts in ex. 19 God starts talking about his cov. With His people Israel. In ex.20 He gives the 10 commandments for Israel to follow. In ex.21 He give His commands that ate tied with the 10 as a standard of living. These commands are to be governed by judges. In chapter 23 we see how God views His Sabbaths as equal. He mentions the weekly Sabbath along with the annual Sabbath, He repeats this in lev.23. The sda church ignores this.

Ex.23: 12*Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine *** may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed.

13*And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

14*Three times thou shalt keep a feast unto me in the year.

15*Thou shalt keep the feast of unleavened bread: (thou shalt eat unleavened bread seven days, as I commanded thee, in the time appointed of the month Abib; for in it thou camest out from Egypt: and none shall appear before me empty:)

16*And the feast of harvest, the firstfruits of thy labours, which thou hast sown in the field: and the feast of ingathering, which is in the end of the year, when thou hast gathered in thy labours out of the field.

17*Three times in the year all thy males shall appear before the Lord God.

18*Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread; neither shall the fat of my sacrifice remain until the morning.

19*The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring into the house of the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

15. Kingarthurhk

Try again, the bold references the ceremonial/sacrificial system, which is completely different from the moral law:

Deuteronomy 5

Exodus 34:28, "Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights <sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> without eating bread or drinking water. <sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> And he wrote on the tablets <sup class="crossreference" value='(C)'></sup> the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments. "

Deuteronomy 10:4, "The Lord wrote on these tablets what he had written before, the Ten Commandments <sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> he had proclaimed <sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> to you on the mountain, out of the fire, on the day of the assembly. <sup class="crossreference" value='(C)'></sup> And the Lord gave them to me."

Clearly there is a distinct difference.

16. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

My salvation is from faith in Jesus, not a day ending in "Y"...perhaps you should read Colossians 2:16.

17. FCoulter

FCoulter

God is clear in verse 12 He mentions the 4 th commandment verse 13 He mentions the 2 nd and 3 rd commandment, then verse 14 He mentions His annual Sabbaths. God does not make a distinction in these commands. You however do.

Either show me a distinction between verse 13 and 14 or else stop picking and choosing.

18. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

Oh, that's not nearly enough.....you got to have works and observe certain days....where you been? Oh yea, if your church isn't called "church of god" you're toast (literally) . well, except some of the groups did away with hell............:whistling:

19. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

Clearly, there is not. Where in the Bible can this distinction be found?

The only thing that is mentioned as temporary is the Levitical Priesthood, and those commandments that pertain. And even this isn't gone forever.

Last edited: May 27, 2012