Pencil Barrel roll-call (GT Collectors)

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by Marcus99, Aug 6, 2019.

1. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 NOT MOD APPROVED

I forwarded it to a friend in that area, I'm waiting to hear back from him.

2. ScarFace88

I think they just think that anything that store policy prohibits must be illegal.

But if anyone wants to laugh at someone's ignorance, this is pretty amusing...
    [​IMG]

L.A.Tactical and glockhoarder like this.

3. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

OMG!! ROFL!!! It's scary to think that anyone this clueless has a gun.

Man I LOVE that HP!!! I wonder if they're as clueless about value.

4. ScarFace88

It's going up for auction, so they'll be at the mercy of whoever shows up or bids on it online. I'll PM you the link. I have no idea which Hi-Power that is, though. All I know is that it's an early gun with the thumb recess in the slide (pre T and C series) and the engraving is most likely not factory, but definitely not done by a tweaker with a chisel. Maybe @bac1023 would know more.

glockhoarder likes this.
  5. Marcus99

Marcus99

Like a lot of us have been saying, sales like that potential pencil barrel for $500 demonstrate the ability for astute collectors to still acquire very early Glocks for good prices

L.A.Tactical, geefal and glockhoarder like this.
  6. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

Good to know! I hope somebody gets it who appreciates it.

glockhoarder likes this.
  7. Marcus99

Marcus99

Did anyone determine whether that pawn shop G17 is indeed a pencil barrel? Curious

8. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

My guess would be that it's still there waiting for someone. Typical of a pawn shop, they are asking $500 for a thirty year old used Glock 17--it's probably going to sit for a while. While I'm tempted to take a day trip just in case, they were so rude on the phone I'm worried it wouldn't go well in person.

9. mtstream

mtstream

Don't know why this thread kind of died, I love the idea. I found it because I was surprised at the 1984 barrel code on my AF and was searching to confirm others had the same.

I just acquired AF672 barrel code GTF

10. Marcus99

Marcus99

I'd guess because only a handful of us here own pencil barrels. I hoped the thread would represent a list for future reference when trying to determine whatever aspect of pencil barrels one might be looking into.

I updated the original post with your acquisition. Congrats!

glockhoarder likes this.
  11. premiertactical

premiertactical

My question was effectively answered. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    glockhoarder likes this.
  12. Marcus99

Marcus99

I think the value of the thread is pretty obvious. A list of what pencil barrel serial ranges are represented by collectors has infinite value as a reference whenever questions of changes/updates/variations arise pertaining to early Glock development. If you don't find it valuable then...don't post?

glockhoarder and Fishboy556 like this.
  13. premiertactical

premiertactical

Mt Stream great job on your response. Thank you.

glockhoarder likes this.
  14. mtstream

mtstream

If I may interject, it’s my personal and humble opinion that there may be a misinterpretation of meaning behind written words. As I was reading each post in order, I did not sense frustration or disrespect in any individual post. Reading the last one, I can go back and see how a post could be interpreted differently so I would just offer that I didn’t think it was meant as a criticism.

That aside, I think there can be value to identifying key collectible guns:
    1) that they exist
    2) there is some knowledge of their history within our group

I also fully understand the privacy side as well and agree if someone doesn’t want to participate no one should criticize that or if someone wanted to participate closer to anonymously and PM someone to say “here’s what I know about but don’t share/associate my name” that would be fine too.

We’ve seen this group protect identities and transactions for years while at the same time sharing educational information. Just look at how much more we know now than when Sandusky’s book was published. That is very valuable to us all.

glockhoarder likes this.
  15. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I just traded onto this one. All original unupgraded complete except for the manual.

IMG_20191211_152544.jpg IMG_20191211_152555.jpg IMG_20191211_152611.jpg

This AH leaves me with only a couple of pencil barrels missing from my collection. Specifically, the only PBs that I know exist that I don't have are:

AA (know of several, hoping to buy one of them)

Very early (1983) AB gun with the SN in the AB-0xx format. I was offered one but just couldn't stomach the price. These were the very first production G17s which were sent to the German police for trial. I think that there are just over 20 w/this SN format. I have one or two AB1xx guns by which time the SN was in the usual format. I think that the AB-0xx guns have a Nov. 83 date code - from memory. The pics of this gun are not mine and I've been asked to not share them - but hopefully this info will add to the knowledge of very early Glocks. Perhaps one day...

AD w/greenish slide silver barrel - working on that import now - taking forever.

I've posted pics on other threads of many of my PBs for folks' reference.

16. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Addendum to my above post...

There are a few more PBs that exist and some that likely exist that will be tough cookies to get.

1) P82. Not a production gun but very cool. I JUST missed one a few years back. It had two barrels w/the same SN - one w/Glock rifling and one w/regular rifling. The SN on those is A-x.

2) The original P80s. Despite the many (35K I think) made only one full guns in apparently in collector hands - in Austria.

3) 9X21s? No idea but it's likely that there are some 9x21 PBs in Italy. I've seen an AN prefix 9x21 posted about by an Italian collector. No idea if a PB or not. Still, may be earlier guns than that which would be PBs.

4) The first few AN prefix G17s which were submitted to ATF for import approval. They are almost certainly PBs given the time when they were imported. At least one was in private hands but don't know where it is now. I hope to get to the ATF gun room in WV sometime to see the one there.

5) If anyone comes across any of the above I'll trade TWO BRAND NEWs Gen 5 Glocks for just one of the old, outdated ones mentioned above.... :)

premiertactical likes this.
  17. Marcus99

Marcus99

Fantastic acquisition Ron! If you have a list readily available, or know the prefixes of pencil barrels you have, I will happily update the original post with the prefix ranges.

glockhoarder likes this.
  18. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Hi Marcus,

Thanks very much.

I have one or more of each of the following:

AB
    AB (silver barrel, greenish slide - "SG")
    AC
    AC SG
    AD
    AD SG - pending
    AE
    AF
    AG
    AH
    AK
    AL
    AM

Some notes...

1) As far as I know, only AB, AC and AD contain any SG guns

2) The only US import PBs are: AA (some imported, some sold in Europe), AF (first G17s imported into the US for commercial sale), AH, AL, AK

I've posted the date codes of all of these except for the AH that I just acquired in the thread on date codes.

3) I'm virtually certain that no AI or AJ prefix guns were every produced.

4) AM were the last commercially produced PBs. As noted prior, it's possible that the very first ANs were PBs which were submitted to the ATF for import approval. All ANs that I've seen in collector hands - both G17s and 19s are NOT PBs.

It is my goal to assemble the most complete PB collection of anyone anywhere. I think (I say this with humility as a collector) that I have already done so as it's extremely unlikely that anyone in Europe has that US import prefixes and I'm virtually certain that no one in the US has all of the European ones - much less many of them. The only ones that I've heard of in the US were some AE guns that a PD somehow got.

premiertactical likes this.
  19. Marcus99

Marcus99

Outstanding Ron!! I will need to wait to update the post until I am back at my computer lol, your pencil barrel collection alone is too much to input from my iphone.

Your contributions, photos, knowledge etc. have been tremendous to this community. I’m sure you’ve helped educate many outside our little community and bring fresh blood into Glock collecting which is something I’m sure we are all happy to see.

glockhoarder likes this.
  20. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Last thing....

I'm glad that I've been fortunate enough to meet folks in Europe (Norway, Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Germany so far) and to have been able to import these guns. I don't think that much was known on the US collector side about the non-US guns until I brought these in and was able to meet and talk to folks over there. Hopefully I've been able to add meaningful knowledge to the hobby that has been of interest to other collectors and of enrichment to the hobby and known Glock history to everyone.

In addition to the guns, the European books and magazines which I've learned of via my European friends have been of tremendous value in learning about early Glocks and Glock history. I've shared these in other threads. I'm most thankful for Google translate!