Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED JANUARY 24, 2021

I wanted to start a thread to see, collectively, how many pencil barrels are represented by us here on Glocktalk. It seems to be generally agreed that only 4,000 were originally imported into the U.S. (AF, AH, AK and AL prefixes) with about 10,000-11,000 produced for international consumption (aforementioned plus AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AG, AM and possibly some AN) so a list of who here owns which prefix(-es) could be quite helpful moving forward in terms of collector knowledge as undoubtedly many of these have been lost to damage/refurbishment/theft/seizure/etc.

I'll try to keep this original post updated with a total number and list for ease of reference. I'll also try to continuously reorganize it so that it flows in the order of serial numbers.

Total: 32
  • AA-66x: barrel code CTF(10/84), original box, mags and cleaning rod
  • AB-xxx
  • AB-xxx: Silver barrel, greenish slide finish
  • AC-xxx
  • AC-xxx: Silver barrel, greenish slide finish
  • AD-xxx
  • AD-xxx: Greenish slide finish
  • AE-xxx
  • AF-xxx
  • AF-020: GTF date code (July 1984) complete, but not all original.
  • AF-422: ATF date code
  • AF-672: GTF date code
  • AG-xxx
  • AH-xxx
  • AH-xxx: all original with matching box, accessories, and '85 manual
  • AH-182: Complete except for the manual
  • AH-8xx: BTM date code
  • AH-9xx: BTM date code
  • AK-xxx
  • AK-xxx
  • AK-105: Complete
  • AK-169
  • AK-171: All original, box, mags and cleaning rod/brush
  • AK-175: 100% complete, black internals, blank mag bases, long rod holder, '85 manual.
  • AK-210: 1985 manual, box, original mags and invoice from 5/19/1986.
  • AK-222
  • AK-223
  • AK-4xx: BTM date code (April 1985); original condition and configuration; weekend sight; one original mag; no other original accessories.
  • AK-525: BTM date code (April 1985)
  • AL-xxx
  • AL-8xx: BTM date code (April 1985); original condition and configuration; weekend sight; no original mags; no other original accessories.
  • AM-xxx:
Photos

AK and AL-prefixes (top to bottom)

AF-prefix

AH-182

AH-xxx

AK-171

AK-222 and AK-223

AK-210

·
Premium Member
8,389 Posts
LOVE this thread!!!

This will take some time for me that don't have right now to post pics and date codes of all of mine.

I've posted many of mine over several threads.

In very brief, I have every PB prefix except for AA, AD and AH. I have deals pending for the latter two.

I have multiple of several including, AB, AC, AE and AM. I have both the standard finish and the greenish slide/silver barrel types of AB and AC. The greenish slide/silver barrel guns were also made in AD. I have a deal already for an AD but it's only one and it's the standard finish..

I've posted most of the date codes on my thread about the guns which I brought in from Europe.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this thread evolve.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOVE this thread!!!

This will take some time for me that don't have right now to post pics and date codes of all of mine.

I've posted many of mine over several threads.

In very brief, I have every PB prefix except for AA, AD and AH. I have deals pending for the latter two.

I have multiple of several including, AB, AC, AE and AM. I have both the standard finish and the greenish slide/silver barrel types of AB and AC. The greenish slide/silver barrel guns were also made in AD. I have a deal already for an AD but it's only one and it's the standard finish..

I've posted most of the date codes on my thread about the guns which I brought in from Europe.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this thread evolve.
Can't wait to see the exact number of pencil barrels you've acquired. If you can provide a link to that thread where you listed out all of your pencil barrel collection I will do my best to extrapolate it into this thread. Those AB/AC prefixes are real treasures!

I'm hoping to one day acquire an AF and AH prefix to have a set of pencil barrels representing all four of the prefixes that were originally imported back in 1986. I'd say you have a solid shot at finding an AH someday - 1,000 were imported correct?

·
Premium Member
8,389 Posts
Thanks very much Marcus!!

I don't have one thread w/all of them.

I've done threads over the past couple of years about some of them.

Here is the thread on (some of) my European import guns. I can't quickly find a link to that about my AF, AL or AK.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/f...aited-guns-from-austria-have-arrived.1755394/

I already have an AD and an AH locked up. I should have both by the mid Fall. That will make my PB collection complete by SN prefix except for AA. I know a person w/two of them. I'm hoping to get them someday.

My current PB count is 14. That will increase by year's end. (Just shows what a Glock "problem" that I have!)

There are at least three sub-types that I'll be missing as well: Very early P80, AB w/hyphonated SN, AD w/green slide/silver barrel.

I greatly treasure my green slide silver barrel guns as well as my extremely early AB guns. Hopefully some of them will make it to Cody and possibly NRA where more folks can see them.

Thanks!

Reactions: 58sniper

·
21,402 Posts
AH here, on the hunt for AF001 as we speak.

·
21,402 Posts
Beautiful!

Any further info to share, and/or a picture?
Not at home and don’t have info memorized. Next time I’m in safe.

Reactions: buster55

·
21,402 Posts
question, I probably am completely mistaken on this, but I thought AF001 was owned by a member here? Or is this my old age senility rearing its head again....
Don’t think so, earliest I know on the forum is above AF020.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Giving up a serious lead here. So if you happen to live in the Arlington area, go by the pawn shop listed in this picture. They're website lists an AL prefix Glock 17 in inventory for $499. They will not talk to me on the phone, will not take or send pictures, and will not ship. I live far enough away that I'm not willing to drive down on the chance that it might be an actual PB without any confirmation. But they refuse to work work me even though I'm a licensed dealer. So if you're close, here's your chance...

Text Font
Text Font Line

·
Premium Member
8,389 Posts
It is incomprehensible to me that any business can be so stupid as to not ship their inventory.

By the way looking at the original post, many if not most of the AA prefix we're actually imported into the US. How many were I do not know.

I've just been crazy busy as of late but when I do have time I will teach you all of mine and we'll post the information here that was not covered in the thread that I linked to.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don’t waste your time. Not only will they NOT take photos or ship, they wouldn’t even read back the serial number. It’s possible it’s a diamond in a ruff, but more likely a typo in the s/N

·
Registered
785 Posts
I even went to my local branch to see if they would reach out on my behalf. They said it was illegal to sell across state borders and also to take a payment over the phone.

·
Premium Member
8,389 Posts
I even went to my local branch to see if they would reach out on my behalf. They said it was illegal to sell across state borders and also to take a payment over the phone.
It defies belief that anyone that actually sells Firearms can be that profoundly uninformed.

So they sell guns but they don't understand the concept of somebody paying for the gun via credit card and them shipping it to that person's FFL in another state?

It might be instructive for them to take a look at GunBroker were thousands of such transactions happen every week.

Its literally unbelievable that anyone that sells guns can be this clueless.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts