pellet guns for pest control

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by redskyzatknight, Mar 12, 2003.

1. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

my yard is full of citrus trees. the squirrels eat everything that hits the ground. not too bad unless you have dogs that make a raquet when they see them. so i got a nice break barrel pellet gun. beautiful wooden stock, nice butt pad and all. claims 850 fps and that seems about right. this is really fun! my dogs bark less and i can play "great white hunter" out back before work. i was amazed at the accuracy personally but i may throw a scope on. i'll take a pic of a successful harvest soon. anyone else like to shoot pellet guns? what kind do you have? happy hunting!

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i have a few that i've used on the flying rats (aka pigeons) around my house. i don't see many pigeons any more. the smart ones know to stay away and the stupid ones have already been dispatched.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter

Got a Beeman P3 pellet pistol for cowbirds only. (They eat other birds eggs and lay theirs in the nests.) I pick them off the bird feeder to save the neighborhood (native) songbirds.

The P3 is a Walther P99 lookalike. One pump gives you 400+ fps. Excellent super-light trigger and very accurate. I have a 2x scope mounted on the integral rail.

4. hcook

hcook

Ditto on the cowbirds. I also take out starlings and grackles.

I've used a Daisy 880 - 10 pumps gives around 685fps, I believe. Gotta get a new one, though - receiver on last one was damaged, so had to return it.

Pros
    It's much quieter than a .22, you can (usually) adjust the power of each shot, it's cheap, and there's somewhat less danger of penetrating the privacy fence and hitting a neighbor.

Cons
    Have to stop and pump if before you can fire again, and no smell of smokeless powder.

5. 357glocker

357glocker

Another good choice would have been a Benjamin Rifle. I have one in .22 pellet and at the maximum 8 pumps I think it is about 800-900 fps. Last year clobbered a squirrel out of my apartment window that was probably 25 yrd away. when I cleaned it the pellet had gone through the spine and was on the opposite hide. The .177 is agood choice too and it goes faster.

6. mattyk6

mattyk6

I have a Daisy BB/Pellet gun that I have had just under 20 years. I think it was one of the older Powerline models. With 10 pumps, it gets up to around 800 fps. I put a Weaver 4x scope on it and it is amazingly accurate! I used to set up pop cans against the wood pile when I was a kid. My dad uses it now to keep critters out of the yard.

7. tjpet

tjpet

RWS Model 34. Shoots a .177 slug 1000fps+ with extreme accuracy. Will go clean through a small skull out to 25' or so.

8. azone5

azone5

I've got a FWB with scope. It's powerful and accurate. Can't beat it.

9. Kcolg

Kcolg Millennium Member

Redsky...what make/model is your pellet rifle and what did it cost?

I too am looking for something under $70 if possible and no more than $100 for taking out pests. I like the one pump one shot. Currently use a Crossman 2200 magnum that shoots .22 at around 650 fps I believe. It does a good job, but that fps is at 10 pumps. I would like a single pump with .177 cal. at 800+ fps. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

10. Tol

Tol

I too have a Benjamin in .22 caliber. I really like it. I need to cough up for the scope mounts because the sights leave a lot to be desired.

11. redskyzatknight

Klolg - mine is a Benjamin. i think its heavier than a ruger 10/22, very substantial. i picked mine up for $97 something at a local sporting goods store. it's powerful enough to kill a squirrel at 25 yards at least. open the boxes and check the stock. i saw alot of variations in stock quality on the ones i was looking at. i can hit an orange at 20 yards all day long. i saw remington was making airguns but can't get a hold of one to see what the quality is like. the have one version that claims 1000 fps. 850 seems to do the trick just fine though.

12. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

When I was a kid, I killed a mullet with my Sheridan Silver Streak. Still have the Silver Streak and it's as good as new. Rarely shoot it, though.

Aren't cowbirds a Federally-protected species??

13. SquirrelNuts

SquirrelNuts

You may want to check your local laws (usually state laws) on the use of pellet guns to kill small game. Here in GA, it is a no-no.

-SquirrelNuts

14. Ledbetter

Ledbetter

http://publish.uwo.ca/~lzanette/

"Brown-headed Cowbirds (Molothrus ater) do not build their own nests but instead
    lay their eggs in the nests of other species. Because Cowbirds often destroy the
    eggs or nestlings of the host to ensure that their own young has no competitors in the
    nest, they may have the same effect on host numbers as other more conventional
    predators. Continentally, Cowbird numbers have increased in association with land
    clearance for agriculture. Many U.S. states presently invest millions in Cowbird
    eradication.
    Debate over the efficacy of these programs has persisted because the
    evidence to date has all been correlational and circumstantial. I collaborated with
    Prof. J.N.M. Smith and Dr. M.J. Taitt in conducting the very first large-scale, spatially
    and temporally replicated, controlled Cowbird removal experiment in North America.
    Our results clearly demonstrate that Cowbirds can have a significantly adverse effect
    on host numbers. Hosts (Song Sparrows) produced significantly more fledglings
    (1.4 more, on average) where Cowbirds were removed, than at control sites,
    where Cowbirds were present."

http://www.passporttotexas.com/birds/jun01.html

"Cowbird eradication and removal programs have been implemented in some areas of the [Texas} hill country and in other regions of the U.S. to help slow the decline of endangered bird species."

15. redskyzatknight

hey Walter, how many yards were you and how many feet of water did you have to go through to kill that mullet? ;f

16. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

there is also a great sport that you can enjoy indoors with your pellet rifle.

since the weather has been getting warmer here in florida the bugs are starting to come out of hibernation, namely the cockroach/palmetto bug. from time to time i'll see one of the SOB's scurry up the wall, the girlfriend shrieks and won't go to bed till i can confirm it's KIA.

there are several options to attacking roaches:

Chemical, but you have to drown the roach in pest spray and smell up the house.

physical torture, but anyone thats tried to crush a roach has found out the hard way they are built like an Abrams tank

capture and burial at sea *aka flushing*, like they'll ever let you get that close.

but my favorite and most fun is a single shot from 7 yards to center of mass to end the situation.

using a Daisy pumpmaster .177, with a 7X scope, two pumps gives just enough velocity to be consistantly accurate, deadly and not mark up the walls or ricochet. plus you have to be darn accurate to kill the little beasts, only a center of mass or head shot will do. you can blow off all of the things legs and it'll still scurry away.

the only good roach is a dead roach...

17. Ledbetter

Ledbetter

Well, that I'd like to see.;G

18. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Ledbetter: Thanks for the cowbird info. The "cowbirds" to which I was referring are white cattle egrets. I don't believe we have the brown cowbirds about which you posted, or, if we do, I just never noticed them.

Red: I shot the mullet from the bank of Pensacola Bay.

I don't know about the law in GA regarding using pellet guns for killing small animals. How about posting something authoritative on that?? A friend of mine in a nearby town uses a scoped pellet rifle to assasinate squirrels within the city limits of his little burg...with the blessings of the town fathers.

19. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

the last one i saw, i finally cornered and he had 1 leg left and still was trying to scamper away. so your right about a no legged one, but if i find one that can still run away with no legs i'm gonna need a much bigger gun;f

20. redskyzatknight

i was just thinking (oh no!), if you got close enought to the fly, skeeter, roach etc.; you could probobly kill it with just the air. i try not to shoot my gun indoors unless i'm using a pellet trap, but with just air...