Pediatricians call for a choke-proof hot dog

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by inthefrey, Feb 22, 2010.

1. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-02-22-1Achoke22_ST_N.htm

Nutritionists have long warned of the perils of hot dogs: fat, sodium and preservatives to name a few.
    Now, the American Academy of Pediatrics wants foods like hot dogs to come with a warning label — not because of their nutritional risks but because they pose a choking hazard to babies and children.
    Better yet, the academy would like to see foods such as hot dogs "redesigned" so their size, shape and texture make them less likely to lodge in a youngster's throat. More than 10,000 children under 14 go to the emergency room each year after choking on food, and up to 77 die, says the new policy statement, published online today in Pediatrics. About 17% of food-related asphyxiations are caused by hot dogs.
    "If you were to take the best engineers in the world and try to design the perfect plug for a child's airway, it would be a hot dog," says statement author Gary Smith, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. "I'm a pediatric emergency doctor, and to try to get them out once they're wedged in, it's almost impossible."
    The Consumer Product Safety Commission requires labels on toys with small parts alerting people not to give them to kids under 3. Yet there are no required warnings on food, though more than half of non-fatal choking episodes involve food, Smith says.

"No parents can watch all of their kids 100% of the time," Smith says. "The best way to protect kids is to design these risks out of existence."
    Though Smith says he doesn't know exactly how someone would redesign a hot dog, he's certain that some savvy inventor will find a way.
    Janet Riley, president of the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, supports the academy's call to better educate parents and caregivers about choking prevention. "Ensuring the safety of the foods we service to children is critically important for us," Riley says.
    But Riley questions whether warning labels are needed. She notes that more than half of hot dogs sold in stores already have choking-prevention tips on their packages, advising parents to cut them into small pieces. "As a mother who has fed toddlers cylindrical foods like grapes, bananas, hot dogs and carrots, I 'redesigned' them in my kitchen by cutting them with a paring knife until my children were old enough to manage on their own," Riley says.
    The Food and Drug Administration, which has authority to recall products it considers "unfit for food," plans to review the new statement, spokeswoman Rita Chappelle says.
    Given the health risks of obesity, pediatrician Alan Greene, author of Feeding Baby Green, says, "The last thing we need is to redesign candy and junk food with cool shapes, so we can give them to kids even younger.":upeyes:

WOW! Post #1000 Wooo-Hoo! Look out Okie!

:devildance::grill:

2. silentpoet

silentpoet

How about drown proof water?

3. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

This

I have a young daughter and one of her favorite foods are grapes, they are the perfect shape to choke a child too. Should we talk to scientists and see if they can makes a grapevine grow grapes that are a child friendly shape?

This comes down to personal responsibility, cut the foods up for your kids till they are old enough to eat them safely.

4. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

So basically what they're calling for is meat-flavored Lifesavers candy?

OTOH...They could have Ron Jeremy make a bunch of public service announcements.....
    "Hi kids! I'm Ron Jeremy. You may remember me from...well....go ask your parents. Anyway, I'm here to warn you about the dangers of choking on..."
    [​IMG] (man, I had a much funnier pic but it went right up to the line on the TOS)

Not to be outdone....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

It's disturbing to know this is an actual story that came from USA Today and not The Onion.

6. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Unfreaking believable crap that qualifies as news these days!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

So hotdogs kill more kids than guns? Where is congress?

8. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Some folks aren't aware of choking hazards.

9. farley45

farley45

Lets ban everything. Its for our own good.

10. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I don't see where they're calling for a ban, just warning label/education.

11. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

How did people survive before the nanny state?

12. 9jeeps

9jeeps Avatars, no mas

Yep! That's what we need. Another freaking warning label... Wonder if the kids should come with one too. Dang! :wow:

"Warning! Child may choke, cough, crap and puke while eating this product...!" Labels available everywhere. Securely place on forhead of your child, today and be safe! :tongueout:

13. farley45

farley45

I feel like things such as this is where the progression of events begins to start banning things.

From the article: "No parents can watch all of their kids 100% of the time," Smith says. "The best way to protect kids is to design these risks out of existence."

It is phrases like this that lead me to believe that is the route that is intended. What is a warning label really going to do, are their really parents out there who do not understand choking hazards with foods? If there are then I would suspect that having a warning label wouldn't do anything anyways.

Also, the article says that parents can't be there all the time anyways so what good is a warning label. Is the child going to read it and come to the conclusion that he shouldn't eat that food because he may choke? So, I see their agenda starting with warning labels and then banning or making it undersirable to purchase items for people's own good.

Really though, I suppose I am just somewhat bitter to needing warning labels to let people know that coffee is hot or you could choke on food; just as I am bitter about being very invasive about telling people what is good for them and what isn't.

14. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Well then I guess they will just have to choke. Darwin.

15. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

The 'Nanny State' solution is obvious...

Since parents can't reasonably be available and 'on guard' 100% of the time... and some are too stupid to be of any use anyway even if they were... and kids aren't able to monitor themselves for their own safety... we should sew their lips shut until they are old enough to prove they can cut their own meat and be smart enough to chew their food properly. Right?

:upeyes:

16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

The sick thing is that your and my tax money pays the useless bureaucrats to come up with this crap.

17. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

So what happens when the child can't read?

:supergrin::rofl:

18. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Hey, if they use my idea to sew kid's lips shut do I get paid royalties?? :whistling:

19. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Anyone want to run the odds of a kid peeling off the warning label on a package of hotdogs and choking on THAT!

20. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Why does a baby need to eat a hot dog? A bun has zero water, and a hot dog has very little water, so anyone at any age is more likely to choke.