Pearls of Wisdom for the Day

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Allegra, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Allegra

Allegra

from that tabloid - the inquirer

A question for gun clubs

Inquirer
    Last updated 01:37am (Mla time) 04/24/2007

There’s a line that members of gun clubs often use to defend gun ownership: “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.” Don’t blame the gun, blame the guy pulling the trigger.

So when Virginia Tech senior student Cho Seung-hui killed 32 people with a legally-obtained 9mm Glock pistol, don’t blame the weapon, or the laws that allowed him to buy such weapon, or the lawmakers who drafted these laws in the first place -- no, blame the obviously psychotic 23-year-old.

The trouble with this logic is that a mentally unstable person couldn’t have taken these many lives with a Swiss knife, or a machete, or even a chainsaw. The only way one man can kill so many, so quickly, is with a gun -- in Cho’s case, a Glock he bought last March.

Was this guy given a psychological test before being sold the gun to determine his capacity to use such a dangerous weapon responsibly? The answer is no. In Virginia, if one is over the age of 18 -- as Cho was -- all he has to do is pass a criminal background check and he can buy a pistol.

It shouldn’t be that easy. Yes, citizens have a right to protect themselves. But who protects us when these gun owners lose it? When road rage, dementia, or depression pushes them over the edge of reason?

That’s a question the students of Virginia Tech -- and those in other universities in the United States -- are asking right now. And it’s a question we in the Philippines should be asking ourselves as well.

JED M. EVA III, Unit 403, Charleston Place, NBP Building, 38 Aurora Blvd. corner F. Roman St.,San Juan City

2. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Guest

Ayan na naman, anti-gun writer na naman.

Haaay....I feel sorry for their stupidity.

3. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

JED,

answer your own question.

who will protect me? who will protect my family?

i will.

and for that, i want a gun.

4. Allegra

Allegra

I've aways thought a fertilizer bomb was a lot more dangeroud than any gun.
    Google the internet for makin bombs from common household items
    Any chem major can make them easily

Wasnt there a mass poisoning incident in Japan years ago perpetrated by a psycho

People kill people

5. boni

boni ako ito bok!

question to gun clubs? hindi kaya dapat question to gun owners d ba? :thumbsup:

6. boni

boni ako ito bok!

actually EVA, i blame the people that has the same thinking that you have.

kaw kaya sumagot nyan EVE. nuh? galing mo sa logic.

hindi pa nangyari to nasagot na namin ito.:thumbsup:

btw alam ko alam ko hindi nya makikita tong post ko but sige lng. di ko type mag pa post sa newspe. di ako ksp eh.

my thinking? i will make my barrel hot as hell, in the protection on our most precious right to live and that is with human dignity

7. maskytrading

maskytrading Guest

What if there were no FAs that Cho could lay his hand on? Is it then safe to assume that the tragedy would not have happened? IMHO, it could have been worse, without the FAs, the fellow could have torched the sleeping dormitories; gasoline is easier to come by than firearms I suppose...or made some homemade bombs and went to the cafeteria during lunch and detonated it...In other words, a determined askewed and warped person Cho was, with or without the guns, he would still have killed people by other means which could have been much much worse

8. choi_tan2000

choi_tan2000 BoG # 55555

when cho decided to amok it doesnt matter what weapon or tools gagamitin nya , if its a bolo, chainsaw a gun, a bomb or kahit tooth pick pa. makakapatay parin sya....

if she thinks gun has to be banned because somebody use it for amok. abay i ban narin and itak knife, chainsaw, fertilizer, anu pa???????

logic haaaaaaaaahh...

well another thing getting insane is a natural calamity like storm, typhoon etc.. and sometimes takes lives ..

millions or thousand of people are dying and hunger lack of medical insufficincy.. and no body cares.. and here are the good writers na titirahin responsible gun owners because somebody got killed by an insane man... which happens vary rare..oh common lady .. thinkkkkkkkkkkkkk

just me

9. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

well, cars kill people, why not ban cars? :)

10. choi_tan2000

choi_tan2000 BoG # 55555

11. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

The simple and obvious answer, of course is YOU! You're always the best and first line of defense. And being ignorant of that obvious fact will, well...

So go out there and choose from the multitude of options that will allow you to better protect yourself and your family. I'll bet my left, hairy nut one of those options would be the employment of a weapon such as a gun. Then please, please, please get yourself trained on how to use it.

Or you can always just buy a house in a very posh and secure place. Never go out at night. Control your family's movements and deadbolt each and every opening in your house. Aaand, hire somebody else to carry that gun for you comforted in the fact that your life and that of your family is safe in his hands. Or is it?

12. theTactician

theTactician

Indeed, people kill people that is the bottomline.

its not the guns, guns are just used by these psychos to murder people. who pull's the trigger? its not the gun itself right but the person using it. if he goes amuck or whatever, its his fault, its not the gun's fault.

there are a lot of anti-gun people out there who keeps on blaming guns, gunmakers, distributors, pro-gun lawmakers when in fact they should be looking at why people murder people, why there are psychos, mass murderers on the loose out there.

so, dont blame glock but blame that psychotic 23 year old gunman. for whatever reason he went out of his mind and bought a glock and a walther pistol is out of our hands. his family and friends should have noticed his suspicious activities, and called a psychiatrist or something to treat him for bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or whatever. prevention is the key, right?

We have the 2nd ammendment here in the u.s. which is the right to bear arms to protect ourselves and our families, our loved ones, no more no less. Guns are primarily for self defense purposes only like martial arts, right?

just my 2 cents worth.:)

13. badshot9mm

badshot9mm

di ba kung wala siya makuha baril e di hindi dapat siya nakapatay ng ganun kadami na tao? kasi kung di nya nbili ung baril e baka gumawa siya ng pillbox at ung bote na may gasolina at ihagis sa mga schoolmates nya. tapus sasakay siya sa kotse at sasagasaan ang mga tao sa daan at tatagain nya ng samurai sword. e di kung di sya nakabili ng pistol e mas madami pala siya napatay. tapus kung sana e may dala baril ung mga tao na naapi nya e sana e madali siya nahuli at tapus e di nya napatay ung rest ng victims nya. dapat siguro bawalin ang pagbabawal sa baril para safe ang lahat kasi kung alam ko na may baril ang mga nakapaligid sa akin e kahit m-16 ang dala ko e goodboy pa rin ako. di ba kahit may dalawa akong kamay e di ko naman sinusuntok mga nakapaligid sa akin kasi merun din sila dalawa kamay e. baka gumanti sila e lagot ako. dapat siguro gumawa ng batas requiring lahat ng tao na may dala baril kasi we tried already to ban guns e. e dahil di effective yung gunban e try naman natin ang opposite nya... gunproliferation ba yun? wala lang... mentaly unstable nga ako kunwari e!!!