GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,741 Posts
You do know what happened to the Japanese after WW2? Have you googled about the War Crimes Trials in Asia?

Also how many of those Japanese that did atrocities to GIs SURVIVED on those islands? We were very good at NOT taking prisoners to...

Personally I think the Nazis got of easy... The Japanese never did such systematic murder as the German Nazis did. Never.
Check out the casualty rate for China.

·
NRA Life Member
64,856 Posts
Seems like, if he was going to get involved, God could have handled that whole WW II thing a lot better by just changing a couple of guy's minds about what to do to start the war. If God was trying to do people favors at Pearl Harbor, he wasn't very good at it.

·
Registered
10,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Somewhere a few years ago I "think" I remember reading that President Roosevelt had received information that the Japanese were planning to bomb Pearl Harbor, but he either didn't believe the intel, or actually wanted to allow a war....

·
Garbage Day!
9,520 Posts
Good old God... getting the credit, praise and coming off looking like the good guy no matter how grievous the tragedy, or how many lives were lost. 😐

Reactions: lunarspeak

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Good old God... getting the credit, praise and coming off looking like the good guy no matter how grievous the tragedy, or how many lives were lost. 😐
And everyone knows it was actually HE-MAN that helped....but no we never give him the credit he deserves

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Somewhere a few years ago I "think" I remember reading that President Roosevelt had received information that the Japanese were planning to bomb Pearl Harbor, but he either didn't believe the intel, or actually wanted to allow a war....
Long standing rumor.
He was supposedly looking for a good reason to enter the war in order to help Great Britain and free Europe but many Americans where opposed to getting involved.
Obviously after Pearl Americans where ready for war.

·
NRA Life Member
28,898 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
i have always felt that roosevelt wanted to get america in the war . there to much evidence that the japanese were planing to attack .

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
Thank you for the read.

The Admiral was correct:
1. my dad was off the ship and on his way back to the USS Honolulu;
2. the Japanese commander had observed that the docking was so shallow that the ships would be raised in a year and back in action. However, the other dry dock facilities were ignored. The ships were scrapped or restored much sooner than anticipated.
3. the hidden lesson is identified and would be passed over by most people - find the silver lining.

Last week, the Iranians and/or their proxies attacked a US military base in Iraq on the anniversary of the assassination of one of Iran's generals. A number of people post like Sonny responded in the Godfather - get mad, raise a fist and strike back.

The silver lining is there.
1. the type of missile will be examined.'
2. the accuracy of the missile will be measured.
3. the firing points will be examined.
4. if the missile was fired from within Iraq, the supply route will be searched through old photography and videos.
5. if locals were involved, they will be identified.
6. whether people are aware or not, the Shiite leadership that controls the Iraqi government is in a struggle with the Shiites from Iran. The government gave ultimatums to the Iranian sponsored militias to turn over supplies and to integrate into the army. The government may not like the USA, but it is going to provide intelligence as the US and Brits continue to provide the air power to deal with threats to the government.

In the meantime, somewhere in Iran is the commander of the last attack. Because the US did not respond like Sonny in the Godfather, he is wondering whether he is going to be the next assassinated General and what secrets did he reveal in attacking the US base.:cry:

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,023 Posts
Yeah, the Japanese ****ed up royally.

The didn't destroy the dry-docks, shore installations, work shops, oil & fuel depots......nothing of the infrastructure to both recover and repair the ships that were sunk/damaged.

Of the battle ships, 6 of the 8 were recovered, repaired/refitted, and saw service in the war. A few quite spectacularly at the Battle of Surigao Strait (25 October 1944), where West Virginia (sunk), Maryland (damaged), Tennessee (lightly damaged), California (moderately damaged) and Pennsylvania (lightly damaged) absolutely shellacked a Japanese force of battle ships, cruisers and destroyers.

But what Pearl Harbor really did, was to shake the US Naval Command out of it's big-gun centric thinking, where the battle ships were the focus of the fleet (an outdated naval military model), and switch to a carrier/air-power centric form of battle.

·
NRA Life Member
28,898 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Good stuff DAKA!

Where are these great men today? What I mean is, are we all out of them now? We need great leaders like we had in the past, not the wretches we have now.
What do you mean??
Why we have Eric Swalwell, Adam Schiff, Joe Biden, Chuck Schumer...the list of greats just goes on and on!

Oh...and Marvelous Mitt Romney, a profile in courage.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Pretty sure FDR thought we needed to enter the war. Pretty sure he did not actively expedite the Pearl Harbor attack.

But also am pretty sure his politician's ego contributed to what success the Japanese had.

How? By replacing a man with strategic vision, Adm James O. Richardson, with a man whose background was in training. Husband E. Kimmel. Because Richardson spoke to him candidly.

Richardson knew forward positioning the fleet at Pearl was a mistake. Simply indefensible geo-political tiddly winks.

Kimmel, good training staff man, was unable to think outside the box when it came to defense.

And while we are talking about not going outside the box...there is also Lt. Kermit Tyler. He could have asked a couple questions of the reporting radar techs But NO.

This is Tyler in 2007:

“I wake up at nights sometimes and think about it,” Tyler said in a 2007 interview with the Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J. “But I don’t feel guilty. I did all I could that morning.”

Don't start posting about "It didn't matter-not enough time." A 20 minute head start would have been a big help for air defense.

Tyler did not nothing even though it was common knowledge Pearl was threatened.

My mother's good friend Chief Pharmacist's Mate Schoonover wrote her in October 1941 that "something bad is going to happen here-and we aren't ready."

He died on the Oklahoma.

·
NRA Life Member
28,898 Posts
Maybe one from the US point of view. Planning, traing, execution, etc.
I'm sure someone would get offended though.
The intercept is only a small part of the movie; basically shows the life of Yamamoto before and during the war.

"
Synopsis
In the late 1930's, two sides in Japan are conflicted between joining Germany and Italy in a military alliance. At this time, Isoroku Yamamoto, who strongly opposed the alliance, is appointed commander-in-chief. The following year, Japan, Germany and Italy form the Axis alliance. By April 18, 1942, formations of U.S. bombers, flown from an U.S. aircraft carrier, attacked the Japanese mainland for the first time. The Japanese military responded by carrying out their Midway operation, but that strategy failed. After the completion of the withdrawal from Guadalcanal, Yamamoto flew an airplane to make moral boosting visits to soldiers on the front line. His plane would be intercepted by the U.S. military.

"

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
IMHO, the Nazi's systematic murder was of Jews, homosexuals, etc in the concentration camps and the deaths of hundreds and hundreds of thousands of Russian POWs (of course, very few German POWs returned from Russia also). The Nazis, I believe, did not systematically kill US/British/Allied POWs on the Western Front except for isolated actions by individual fanatic SS commanders.

The Japanese, on the other hand, regularly committed atrocities against POWs to include medical experiments in chemical/biological warfare, intentional starvings, beheadings for both "crimes" and rites of passage for their younger troops (in one unit a new LT had to behead a POW as a rite of passage into officership in the unit). And all this is on top of the mass rapes and murders done in Manchuria and in China (google the "Rape of Nanking.") The Japanese were brutal to POWs, since it was considered "dishonorable" to surrender, and therefore POWs did not deserve humane treatment.

In fact, I read statistics recently, although I don't remember where, that the Allies hanged more Japanese for war crimes than we did Germans.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts